Jambands.ca

Cool places to play in St. Catherines?

Mr. Musicface

Hey all!

So the story... apparently the lighting guy who occationally works with Uncle Seth gave a copy of the new CD to his girlfriend at Brock who promptly bought 5 more for her friends, who played it for their friends, and the next this we know Uncle Seth has a minor following in St. Catherines! [big Grin] Ah, word-of-mouth is a wonderful thing for the indie band.

Anyway... we'd really like to book a show there but I have no idea about clubs in St. Catherines. Ideally, I'm looking for a place that is:

- (Obviously) jam-band friendly

- Within stumbling distance of the university

- Holds 100+ people

Any help? Post here or mail me at musicface@musicface.com" target="_blank.

Thanks gang!

- Mr. M.

Unfortunately there are NO places that are stumbling distance to the campus. Unless you got a campus gig at the pub Isaacs. I wouldn't go that route though. The St. Catharines music scene is most definelty downtown.

Merchant Ale House, is a nice little brew-pub that always has different live bands playing. That would probably be a nice size gig for a first appearance in the region. I don't think they pay real well though [Frown]

The Mansion House is a bit of a dive (it's actually one of the oldest bars in CANADA). It can hold a bit bigger crowd. Incidently this is where the smoothies play on Saturday nights.

The Double Olive, is cool basement Martini bar, usually catering to acidy jazzy, and R&B, Soul kinda stuff... Sort of the Orbit Room of St. Catharines.

The Chilli Pepper, is probably the biggest venue downtown. Big crowds that are more into partying and haveing live music as a back drop. You'd probably have to play more crowd pleasers here.

I would say that these places would probably be your best bets! Incidently they are all within about a 2min walk of each other.

Good luck.

Hey there! Don't know if I've met you before Mr Musicface... I tend to be really quiet on the board but couldn't resist responding to this one. I think Cyber Hippie gave you some pretty good info.

I used to work at the Chilly Pepper, good fun crowd with good music but not a jamband kind of crowd... the music is definately a background thing...

I also worked at Isaacs (the university bar) and it hasn't had a good history with live music or a receptive crowd...

Mansion house is quite a dive but might be your best bet.... its right down town close to all the other bars, you can most often hear the music from outside and it has more of an alternative smiley crowd.

For the most part St. Catharines doesn't have a jamband scene but it certainly has some fun characters...

If you want to advertise at the university check with BUSU (Brock Student Union) and speak with Mark Bassagio about putting up posters around Brock... you can tell him Lara Purvis suggested you speak with him. Best of luck!

I don't know how many people it holds but The Merchant Ale House is one of my favorite bars in Ontario. I've seen Rose Garland there a handful of times and they only sell beer they've brewed on site. Awesome microbrews, it's better when it's warmer and they open the windows and there is some dancin' in the streets!

Well I'd say there is a bit of a 'jamband' scene in St. Catharines. It's just kinda more hidden and varied. Rose Garland is pretty cool. I had a lot of fun seeing Buddahs Don't Box back in the day. For a while (5 years ago) there always seemed to be someone around influenced by the dead, allmans etc...

Brock radio probably helped a lot with that, with their friday afternoon "Bong Brothers" show. Too bad the station closed up shop.

How old is your wife? I'll be 27 this year (arghhh!, excuse me, personal meltdown). Her name doesn't sound familiar.

And what's SPK, a person or a thing? When I read it, it made me think P.K. Kerwin, which for any old-schooler like myself, would be totally recognizable.

Ahhh, St. Catharines, I miss it so.

p132

Nina, you and I met Sean Kelly on Summer Tour 2000. In Pittsburgh I believe.....

Never did stay in touch though :-(

And no there is no jam scene in St Kitts, let alone any scene of any kind. Can you imagine the depths of a lack of anything to do that would push two jam happy phans to move to Saint John?!?!?

Sean

ps. Thats right I'm back online, be warned....

I'm a graduate of Brock (97) and a good friend of said SPK. St. Kits has your typical small university sceen. A lot of the stuff that beer comercials are made of and a little bit of everything else.

In my opinion the merchant ale house is your best bet for a first St. Kits gig.

Keep on rockin'

I was at the merchant last week and they told me that there weren't going to be any more bands playing there, that bar used to be cool and now it seems like the "unphriendly" crowd hangs out there. If i were you guys i'd go to the Mansion house, seems like the only place left to go. Also if you need a taper let me know, seems like i'm the only taper in this town too.

Archived