Jambands.ca

How was the 'fest'?

rabidmonkey

I was at the entire "Cum all over you fest" and it was amazing!!! Easily worth the drive for constant music, free mushrooms and being soothed to sleep by the sounds of nitrous canisters and bongos!!

Nero's set was very well received, they had a shitty time slot as the first band on day 2. By the time their set was done (over an hour) many people had left their tents to check our boys out. The word Nero could be heard whispered for the rest of the day.

Burt Neilson Band stole this fest. They kicked everyones ass!! Jomomma and Fatcats played great shows as well.

Where the hell were all you guys??

Booche, Catphish and Sally had to bail me out of jail again on trumped up sodomy charges.

It took the work of ten people working 4 hour shifts at a lemonade and donut stand outside the police station to get me out.

My date in court is set for the long weekend in June, so I'll expect everyone out for that one....

PS-I may need some character witnesses, so if there is anyone on this forum who hasn't seen me drunk or "otherwise intoxicated" let me know and I'll get my lawyers to contact you.

Posted by mark tonin on May 23, 2001 at 00:09:04:

The Come Together Music Fest at Frontier Town was incredible ... one of the best weekends I have had in my entire life!!!

I'm going to try to give everyone an overview of the event with this review, rather than a detailed description of any particular band.

The music started on Friday night with Mark Wilson & The Way It Is. Mark Wilson is an incredible guy. He worked so hard to make this festival happen and I am so happy that I was a part of it. Caution Jam followed and played until about 1:30 a.m., when the music on stage was shut down due to the police arriving in response to noise complaints. But no hassle from the police - they only made it to the driveway. Two excellent bands to kick things off.

On Saturday, the music ran all afternoon and night, until about 1:00 a.m., when things were shut down to keep good relations with the surrounding community and police. My personal favourites on Saturday afternoon were Nero from Ottawa and The Jimmy Swift Band from the East Coast (Halifax?) - I'd never seen either of them before and I'd recommend checking both of them out. Saturday evening, one of the crowd favourites, Jomomma played a fine set, followed by Fat Cats - Canada's original jam band. Jonas sat in with the Fatties for a few tunes, and they also had a percussion player for their whole set - sorry, I don't remember his name. Each band played a set, but unfortunately a few technical difficulties made their sets shorter than people wanted. That seemed to happen with every band on the weekend, no matter how long they played!

More bands on Sunday afternoon (I went for a cool swim and hot shower at a nearby conservation area), and then Sunday evening, things really heated up with Jonas and his band cranking out the funk. Man these guys cook, especially given that they've only recently been together. Sorry, I don't remember the new name of the band - it used to be the Renegade Funk All Stars. In the words of Dave Hill, bass player for the Fatties, Jonas deserves the musician MVP for the weekend. In addition to his own band, he sat in with the Fatties and with BNB, and he was on fire for all of them!!!

Finally, the Burt Neilson Band took the stage, and they did not disappoint. These guys tore through two incredible sets of music - I couldn't believe it when 1:00 a.m. rolled around and they had to stop playing … it felt like they had just begun, even though they got to play two full sets of music. Absolute magic … I am in a spell. I can't wait to see the set list for BNB … can someone please post it! I have never danced so hard in my entire life. I am so revitalized from this past weekend.

What else can I say? Three days of sunshine, no rain, great music, sunsets, twinkling stars, huge camp fires, and beautiful people. This may in fact have been the best weekend of my entire life. And that is over 1900 weekends, given that I am almost 37 years old. Thank you everyone for making it so special. I can't wait to do it again.

Peace, Mark

Posted by scottieking on May 25, 2001 at 20:28:21:

Hey folks,

Since I was the last to figure out which board to put this on, I just wanted to share with everyone what I posted on the old board. Cheers.

The thing that blew me away was that while most were quick to dismiss the weekend as just the bands they've seen tons before, they obviously had forgotten what summertime festival campouts are all about. The spirit of the whole weekend was unbelievable. It felt so like home. Some good souls met for sure. and through thedust being kicked up in front of the stage, some new faces to me, some old but all good. Special Kidos to Jonas the hardest working man in Frontier Town, the new to my ears sounds of Nero and Jimmy Swift and of course, BNB, both for the tunes and the late night revalry. The saloon was the wackiest thing by far (both nights are as lost to me as the era it represented) Everyone was an old friend by the end and I've got the bug back just in time for summer, hummin Papa was a Rollin Stone all the way. Thanks to all the bands and friends who by the end of the weekend were interchangable. See you round

the man with the magic orange hat

Archived