Jambands.ca

Favourite Cult Movies

Jaimoe

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Living In Oblivion (1995) - Starring Steve Buscemi, Catherine Keener, Dermot Mulroney & James LeGros. This is one funny satire of behind-the-scenes film-making.

Note: If you watch this movie, keep in mind that James LeGros's character, Chad Palomino, is really Brad Pitt. The director of Living In Oblivion based this movie on his experiences when he directed Pitt's movie: Johnny Suede - which is a cult movie too. When you know this, you will enjoy the movie on a completely different level. Pitt's a real loon!

for sure YES YES- Big Lebowski Counts, and for sure on Bottle rocket but then I have to include his other stuff too all Wes Anderson stuff...oh and Time Bandits and very early fav...

how about Soylent Green and a weird one called Gummo...a followup to the docdrama kids...so weird but couldn't take my eyes off it...

what else by Time Bandits guy...I could get slagged for this one but I also loved the Adventures of Baron von Munchanhusen..

mroe more..

this is still great...

I forgot this one: Dog Soldiers!

This film is about British soldiers on a training mission in Scotland that unfortunately stumble across some evil " activity ". A huge hit in Britain last year, this movie went straight to DVD in North America this year. It's a lot of fun, with good acting, writing and directing, considering the budget. Any movie that's inspired by The Evil Dead can't be bad. And one character is named Private Bruce Campbell!!

This just came out on DVD; straight to video this week: David Twohy's " Below ". Twohy is the writer behind Pitch Black and the screenwriter of The Fugitive. Below is about a WWII submarine that may or may be not haunted. It stars Canadian Bruce Greenwood too. It got good reviews so I'm renting it this week.

quote:

Originally posted by Jaimoe:

This just occured to me:

No wonder so many of you on this thread like B and/or cult movies. Cult movies are original, take chances cinematically, don't rely on special effects to drive their plots, have real cult heroes who don't necessary strive to be in the mainstream, touch fans on a very personal and meaningful level, and have a hugely loyal and obsessive fan-base with a thriving sub-culture. Essentially, what the jam music and scene is all about.

Well put! This thread is great, I think I'll hafta follow Booche's lead and bookmark it for future reference.

Can't wait to check out that Canadian road film Goin' Down the Road (1970) - thanks!

I definitely want to check out some more of Terry Gilliam's movies (The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, Brazil, etc). Especially Brazil! I was just at a movie store today and saw a 3-disc DVD set for Brazil, so I'll be checkin' that one out. Time Bandits is good.

Hey Phish STick, how about that new Peterborough video store eh!! (The one called "Have You Seen?" .. wow!)

BARAKA is another must-see cult fav.

Along the same lines as Baraka, I've heard that Koyaanisqatsi: Life Out Of Balance (1983) is quite amazing.. Actually that was the first movie in a 3-part series, the other ones are called Powwaqatsi: Life in Transformation (1988) and Naqoyqatsi: Life As War (2002). Looks very interesting.. Has anyone checked these out?

And also along these same lines, I can't wait to check out Gambling, Gods & LSD: Travels Between Heaven & Earth (2002) once it comes out on video. They might be bringing this one to Cinema 379 in Peterborough, but apparently they are hesitant b/c of the length of it (3.5 hours).

quote:

Originally posted by Groove Fetish:

So those ones made me think of...some that I love even though I can't explain it...possible just because they are moveis that are eyecandy and nothing but, sort of Baraka but..Barabarella! I don't know why- but Jane Fonda is totally objecified by her husband director throughout the movie and she just entrancing.

Yah I mentioned Baraka in passing but I certainly did so to include it in the list...this thread made my head spin cause I thought of so many movies I wanted mention I got a bit runon...but certainly Baraka was a great piece.

And certainly I have already bookmarked it. Thanks for the recommendation booche.

for some reason I thought Star Wars was too self evident to mention but I agree with adding it to one of my top ones seeing as they suckered me into all sorts of its merchandising...

and KING toot...I've got to admit that that sounds awefully familiar..I think I might have seen that once a long time ago.

still loving the thread and still getting way more new movies to chek out.

keep this one up if anyone sees an omission!

Logan's Run is worth checking out. Interesting futuristic ideas, and everyone is killed at age 30!

I know Booche likes Star Wars and so do I, but it's not really a cult movie per say. It appealed to a wide audience and it had a huge production budget. I think Battlestar Galactica would fit better as a cult movie, or The Last Starfighter , or Battle Beyond The Stars . The Planet Of The Apes ( 1968 ) is my favourite movie of all time, but I'm not sure if it's a cult movie - but it did spawn a cult-like following in a way - certainly some of it's cheapo sequels are cult-like. But the original POTAs was expensive to make, and quite commercially successful and marketed and it had an A cast and director.

So, are you the be all, and end all in whom decided what is, and what isnt a cult movie?

Were the Dead a cult band?

Better not answer that Jaimoe.................

There is a cult following with Star Wars, so I say its a cult film.

[big Grin]

(Just for the record, I am good friends with Jaimoe, and that wasnt a 'pot-shot.....or was it?)

Hey Jaimoe,

Saw "Dog Soldiers" last month and loved it. One of my favorite horror films of recent memory. It had so many memorable scenes (the vomit scene still makes me laugh).

Saw "Below" a couple of days ago and dont get your hopes to high. It wasnt bad but it didnt blow me away in the slightest. A couple of good scares and a decent budget. I think the biggest problem was I figured it out way too early.

Ill toss out "The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" just to the ball rolling.

The 1972 movie "Gargoyles" also has a pretty good cult following. Ive only seen it on TV but its probably on video. Scared the crap out of me as a child but its pretty funny to watch as an adult (well im almost an adult).

Thanks Sloth for the heads-up. I'm glad you liked Dog Soldiers. And yes Booche, I'm not the authority on cult and B movies, just a big fan of their genres. If a big, expensive and highly lucrative sci-fi movie has a great appeal outside of the cult sub-culture, then so be it.

The Dead a cult band? No fuckin' way! They were too influential and popular... and great. Now, Deadheads resemble and behave like cultists in a way. Guilty as charged is what I say. It's a damned good cult to be in too!

Ooops sorry for the confusion (just noticed Kev-O already mentioned Munchausen.) No I didnt mean "toss it out" literally [smile] - I think its a classic movie thats great to watch a little on the tripped out side cuz the plot rotates so much.

Ill add "A Boy and His Dog" to the list. Dont be afraid of the fact Don Johnson is the lead, its actually one hell of a Bmovie.

Thanks for handling Jaimoe for me booche.

quote:

Bouche, Ghostbusters is definitley not a cult movie: huge budget, A-list director, actors and production company. Made over 100 million.

Hey wasn't "The Last Starfighter" a huge production back in the day?

-river's edge

-my own private idaho

-the god's must be crazy

-stop making sense (in college in the 80's we would drive an hour and half to chicago dozens of times to see this movie)

-ladyhawke ( in paris, you could always find this fabulous little movie that i conisider one of my favorites, in smoky little theaters, playing to goth crowds)

Archived