Jambands.ca

Favourite Cult Movies

Jaimoe

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, lotsa great movies !

There is this movie, "The Adventures of Mark Twain" that I saw in 1994. It is Claymation, and the characters are Twain, Tom Sawyer, Huck, etc. And they are going to meet Halley's Comet with a space ship that looks like a wooden sea ship. (Twain was born with Halley's Comet present, and died when it returned, I think). There was one memorable scene where some evil invisible man is in a mirror.

An amazing, way out there movie, that is very obscure. I only know 2 other people that have seen it. If anyone knows how to get a copy, please say so.

hehehe Mitchell was a brutal one, I like the MST3k movie, it was wicked...

OK, Jaimoe and anyone else, I have to thank-you, just recovered from watching Donnie Darko-what a fuggin incredible flick!!! That same sorta magical feeling as Magnolia/American Beauty..but...christ I dunno my mouth just hung open for the last 20 minutes of it, and probably 20 minutes after too...spectacular!! I have so many film buffs for friends it's hard to surprise them with a kick ass flick...whew!

Yes Tungsten, I watched Donnie Darko last week and I still can't stop thinking about it. Buy the widescreen DVD if you have the chance. HMV has it on for $10.99!!! It's loaded with extra scenes and it even has the video for

Gary Jules' remake of the Tears For Fears " Mad World " song heard at the end of the film. A fuckin' haunting and beautiful version. I'm going to re-watch the film soon.

Reba, you should watch this film. You should buy it in fact. And thanks Reba for the River's Edge suggestion. Definitley a great cult film, not unlike Ghostbusters Bouche.

I'm runing out for Donnie Darko right now!!!

And everytime I see the new trailer for that movie Willard I think of his kreepy teenager character from Rivers edge.

That movie grabbed onto me so hard when I was a kid it was one of the first videos I ever bought and watched it again and again.

still a killer thread!

I'm not too sure if this has been mentioned yet but a new release called FUBAR will definately fit this category. It's a Canadian movie that takes Strange Brew to another level. I was rolling with laughter during a few scenes of this documentary/comedy. Definately a must see! It should be in the new release section of a video store near you! Look carefully though because there will probably only be one or two copies! If you don't laugh your ass off at this movie backbacon will pay your rental fees. [Razz]

i am thrilled beyond belief to be able to see willard next week. it is next week isn't it? anything with crispin glover rivets me to the screen. god, i love him. in the 80's he did an interview in Interview magazine......and gave his phone number..........an l.a. number and he would tape his wacky poetry and writing and rantings on the machine. he would change it every week or so. i think i still have that number somewhere......i'm going to hunt for it and give it a try

cripsin glover is sensational, reba.... wild at heart (great movie) he has a bit part that makes me need to shower after seeing...

friggin blue velvet, now there'a another - frank booth is my hero, anyone want a love letter?

ya gotta see the animated flick Light Years...yummiliferous

more thumbs up for time bandits, logans run and gods must be crazy - funny as stink

I was sure I had mentioned route 66...but to add a chime in on one that has also already been said, we just finished watching Donnie Darko- awesome and in fact total twist that was not predictable for us at least.

I recommend that one as well.

can't wait to check out the next "favorite cult movie" pick!

this is posted by me but is from Karen Hay...she doesn't have a login and just had to post to this thrread some over sights.

"Anyway, I've been reading this cult movie thread on jambands.ca, and I can't figure out why nobody has posted 3 of my favourites and unfortunately my computer is too ancient so I don't have the capability to post or register there). So, I'm just wondering whether you get as excited as myself about these ones - Harold and Maude (my alltime fav - Ruth Gordon is inspirational, and you gotta dig that Cat Stevens soundtrack), and 2

old zany Woody Allen's, Sleeper, and everything You Always Wanted to Know

About Sex But Were Afraid to Ask. I'd love to turn the cult-movie enthusiasts on to these, but can't do a post. It kills me when I want to say something and I'm restrained like that.

Another definite classic has got to be Fritz The Cat - Merl told me

that he

had done the soundtrack for this movie. If I had a cool neighbourhood

video store, I would definitely give this another watch.

Oh, thanks for that Fandango reminder too. I really liked that movie and had sort of forgotten about it. And, of course, whoever threw out Naked Lunch was reading my mind."

thanks Karen those were definitely worth adding and over looked!

Who doesn't love the Fritz the Cat!

And everything you ever wanted to know about sex but were afraid to ask is classic.

Hey Karen via Groove Fetish,

I've seen all 3 of your movie selections and enjoyed them immensely. Harold & Maude is certainly a great cult movie, but I've never heard of a Woody Allen movie being categorized as cult. However, I love Woody's movies, especially the zany and weird early 70s stuff.

Oh yeah, Bud Cort rules!!!!

Karen!!! >> Groove Fetish pass along please [big Grin]

Well its been along long time.....

Since Lake Trout and GTB I beleive.

Hope all is well...

Greg.

Groove Fetish...also a long while...since Nero and the after-party at yer place..

Cheers!

Give'r

just fuggin' great... now that i'm experiencing some productivity at the ole 9 to 5, this thread comes along....bah!

so, like the junkie to the 12-step methadone clinic, i keep coming back for more...

-thx 1138

-really, any movie based on HP Lovecraft (like the Dunwich Horror... the Evil Dead series is loosely based on the lovecraftian ethos)

-silent running (bruce dern rox!)

-dog day afternoon - i'm starting my own cult for this one

-does titanic count dave [Razz]

-disney's the black hole (that maximillan robot was worse than the t1000), re-released on dvd, with the deleted scenes of ernest borgnine naked!

-man who fell to earth (starring some pale dude)

-

-martian chronicles (i dunno if this was a movie per se... i just remember the made for tv short series about it and it freaked me out)

-jesus christ superstar

-anything monty python (particulary the one about the holy grail)

-willy wonka and the chocolate factory...oompah loompah, baby

Archived