Jambands.ca

Hey, besides, nero what would be your vote for band of the year

Harpua

For band of the year, I find it impossible when choosing between Our Lady Peace, The Tea Party and/or the extremely talented and humble Edwin. Seriously, my favourite band of the year is The North Mississippi Allstars. They aren't my favourite band, but they breathed a serious breath of fresh air into the Johnny Lang, Kenny Wayne Sheppard, Eric Clapton over-produced, over-commercialized blues of today... and they jam like Duane fuckin' Allman. Oh yeah, and thank god for Buddy Guy's new album " Sweat Tea ". Blues at it's darkest and heaviest - and he jams like a mother fucka. Honorable mention goes to mod/punkers: The International Noise Conspiracy. Great band.

The New Deal. In 2001 so far, they've carried out succesful Southern and Western US tours, moved into the 1000+ venues in NYC, Philly and soon, Boston. The Toronto Sound and Light nights were spectacular examples of inspiration combined with professionalism. They toured the Candian Jazz Fest circuit, with 2 succesful nights in Quebec City. They appeared at the Area:One festival alonside elctronic-music heavyweights. Their first major-label release is out in September, to be followed by mass touring throughout Canada, the US and - if plans work out - Europe. Plus, they just plain ROCK! (And they're nice guys, taboot!)

Harpua - yeah, in regards to The New Deal tour dates you mentioned, they're cancelled. That was for the Mekka Festival, which just cancelled the whole shebang a few days ago. So be on the look out for the New Deal to schedule some stealth dates, I'll post 'em here if any are in on the Northern side of the border. There's a big push on to get 'em back in the Wetlands before it shuts down....

Thats too bad for the band, but good news for us, if they come up and play. Ya, all I remember is New Deal playing at Wetlands and then them getting extremely well-known in USA. I was hoping that Wetlands would stay open and other great Canadian bands, nero, BnB, GTB could make an appearance there sometime.

Archived