Jambands.ca

Hippie Trance vs. Old Style Roots/Rock...

shainhouse

There has been lots and leaps and bounds made in the scene lately in the style of electronica based 'trance' kinda music. It seems the more folk/roots/bluegrass aspect, atleast here up north is being left in the cold a little. Even though I hate classifying and good music is good music, just brought this up as a discussion topic. Does anyone agree that we're losing bands that approach our scene in more of a folk/rock scene to the trancy, electronica based tunes?

any opinions?

Well I enjoy both styles, but that being said I would agree that as far as CanJam goes there seems to be more hippy-trance and less Roots Rock, or stuff in the stylings of the Fatties, and Jomomma.

I think when you take the USA into account it might not be such the case here. But Canada seems to be jumping all over new styles of music.

Like MarcO said, one doesn't detract from the other.

This is one of my favourite topics.....

I think there is still strong bands representing both styles....it's also worth noting that the trance stuff has definitely been taken up by some of the roots bands, ie. it becomes an element of their jams...

I like this topic too...

To me, it's all about evolution. The Dead hold a special place in my heart, but it's also evident that the music is from a different time and place. I guess the other extreme would be a band like tND - they appeal to some 'heads because they have mastered the peak and valley climax thing - which is what most of us are looking for in a good jamband - but the conflict remains between purists and the new hotness. Phish evolved the Dead's sound - and electronica will most likely evolve the Phish sound...

There isn't any next big thing yet, but I'm sure it will have elements of both new and old when it does.

A lot of it has to do with energy.

Trance will make people move and dance, usually creating a great vibe.

Yet, other people will look for more musically stimulating avenue's; possibly opting for jazz or bluegrass (i wish) influenced bands.

Songwriting will always play a big part in deciding the quality of music for me. If you can write a great song, make the crowd dance, and stay true all the while, go for it.

No two bands epitamize this ability more than the Fat Cats and Jomomma. Both bands have been through a lot of termoil of late, but when it comes down to me kickin' back, listening to the studio albums, Fuciu and Daredevil remain my the tops in my book.

As long as people keep coming out, supporting both styles of music, neither will be fading away any time soon...

I don't care for trance/electronica music, especially in the jam scene. It's fun when used as a bridge or transition between songs, but I would never want to hear a whole concert of that type of music. This is probably one of the reasons why I can't get into The New Deal. Same with The Disco Biscuits ( when they do it ). I like it when Nero sprinkles loops into their sets, but best of all, they can rock out like no one's business too.

I didn't mean to say that one detracts from the other, because I don't believe it does myself.

I've been enjoying the trance tunes more and more but songwriting, bluegrass and folk will have the special place in my heart. I love GTB, JSB, nero and other 'trancy' bands, but it's the style the dead defined that holds it for me.

just my two cents.

Interesting............................

I am going to have to sit on that one for a bit, ShowWhore.

I am not sure what I think about it, but I can see some kind of evolution.

Its easy to make the Rave>Hippie Trance combo, and somewhat very wrong, but I really have to look into this one.

Let me ask you this, and I only mean ones from the Dicks Picks, or killer boards:

Do you like DrumZpace?

(just curious, I find people dont at first, and it takes them awhile to get it. A bong or two in the right room will nail ya, but that is too easy)

well, as much as i like a good rockin tune, music to me is very personal and lyrics tend to focus the direction and content of your own personal thoughts, creating the meaning of the thought. i prefer trancy bands for their sonic and expressive nature. but since I really want to start thinking about starting a dub oriented lounge acid jazz/drum n bass act, i'm definitely biased.

i'm more into a groove than a catchy hook.

For me the hippy trance is great. AFTER I just saw a rockin show. Seeing particle late night, when not only do I not need lyrics, but I can't make sentences myself, is what that genre is all about for me. Its like hanging out at the disco bus. You can't talk, you still want to dance and there it is. Time to get sloppy.

When its the main attraction it just makes me bored and I end up at the bar doing shooters getting sloppy. I have to agree with the comment earlier that it sounds like the same song for 2 hours....

I got beat up on another board for this, but I think its a fad, and I hope to see it push on through (hopefully before the end of the summer!!) leaving a few of the better ones around for the late late night action...

Wait a minute - what is the definition of hippy-trance? To me, it's sometimes a 2 minute minor penalty to the guitarist for roughing the delay pedal or a 5 minute major to the drummer for high-hatting.

Particle has an electronica influence, but it's not trance.. more like extreme-disco. tND is trance - no doubt about that. STS9 is more D&B/ambient - sometimes trancey, but not as a rule. Bisco gets trancey, but they also imitate Phish the other half of the time...

I hate sweeping generalizations - the term 'hippy trance' seems to only apply to tND in my books... If you can't hear the difference, then you haven't listened to them enough IMHO.

With the way the scene has developed over the past few years, it doesnt surprise me that there are more electronica-type influences heard in today's music. Jambands are constantly in search of that phat groove to get the crowd up and moving, while trying to balance that with songs that showcase their songwriting and playing skills. Phish is an excellent example of a band that has searched out new influences while staying true to themselves. From bluegrass to rock to funk to blues to soul to yes, even electronica. Songs like Sand and First Tube are heavily influenced by trance and rave ideas. No one thought Phish was selling out then, and as the recent Winter tour has shown, delay loops and songs like First Tube still sound great during a set. Which brings us back to the question: Hippie Trance vs. Old Style Roots/Rock? We might as well ask Bluegrass vs. Old Style Roots/Rock? or Funk vs. Old Style Roots/Rock? There are going to be people who dislike something about every band out there. My girlfriend doesn't particularly like hardcore bluegrass, and I'm not a huge fan of DJs, but if whatever band we happen to be seeing does a bluegrass or electronica influenced song, and its good, neither of us would leave. It's about the music... and good is good. I refuse to pick apart a show based on what percent of it was influenced by a genre I don't like. If you dislike a particular style of music, don't go see bands or download shows of bands that play that style of music. It's quite simple. And as for the whole CanJam = Hippie Trance thing, I have to disagree. Of all the Canadian bands out there that play coast to coast, I would say one qualifies as a true Hippy Trance band. That would of course be theNEWDEAL. It's electronic sounding, designed to sound that way. As for the rest, I have a problem calling them Hippe Trance, here's why:

Burt Neilson Band - old style roots/rock if I've ever heard it

nero - more rockin' and funky, w/some trancy influences

GTB - mellower rock, w/some funky, some trancy jams

JSB - 2 sides-1st set:straight ROCK, 2nd set:hippie trance

Tala - funky, groove heavy, laid back

I'm leaving Blue Quarter off this list until I have a more informed opinion of them. I guess its all where you stand in terms of what you consider Hippy Trance. I used to rave quite a bit, and I was into trance music at its peak in 2000. DJ's like Mark EG, Commander Tom, O/S2, John "00" Flemming and Christopher Lawrence have laid down some of the sickest DJ trance sets I have ever witnessed. So just because I hear the same bass line for 8 or 12 bars during a set, I'm not so quick to call what I'm hearing trance, or even electronic, more groovy or funky than anything else. To each his own I guess, I just hope that what seems like the beginning of a small split in our tight Canadian scene doesn't end up costing some of us to lose these sick bands. Support them all, it's some of the best music out there right now. Thanks for letting me get this out, Jay

www.phishhook.com/lists/PhishRaver

quote:

DrumZpace

dancing like a tribal empath

loved drums and space from the word go... can still listen to it all day (mood permitting)

they call it trance for a reason [Wink]

the dead had and has a fantastic grasp on all that

timeless witch music

I like my songs too though

I like some electronica stuff like The New Deal, but I can't listen to the Disco Biscuits. I'm not too sure about them I hear their trancy stuff, and I can't get into it, it just doesnt seem to have any depth and then I hear one of their sones like Jamillia and it just sounds like a Phish tune gone wrong. Just my personal opinion. I do like their cover of Afro Blue, tho.

Personally I prefer the more rock oriented stuff over the trance, but I think there is another entire third category which would be a funk/groove one. Sorry if this has already been covered above, i stopped reading posts halfway down.

I prefer this third category the most. Perhpas just because it's the type of music i personaly play but I love the funk especially once its locked into a groove that wont let you stop dancing. Thats where its at right now.

Archived