Jambands.ca

The thing with BNB......

dump

Hello all I'm new to this sanctuary and I think you guys have a good thing going here. I know what I am about to say will more than likely get me in a little hot water but here goes. Now is it just me or are Burtie shows starting to get more and more repeatitve. I mean don't get me wrong I LOVE the burties and have seen them uncountable times, but man what happened to the fire. I know they are definatly getting tighter, which is great, but nothing new have come from them since they returned from thier winter out west. I mean I can't beleive it myself but the last few shows I've seen have been less then inspiring. same old tunes same old show. I can't even tell you how many times I've heard 50 ways to leave your lover. I know i'm gonna get it for these comments but they are not meant as a diss, BNB is w/o a doubt one of my favorite bands. I just wanted to see if anyone else has noticed this trend. There hasn't really been much of an effort to keep shows unique and interesting and it's really starting to show. Some nights you can really tell they are just going throught the motions.eg. the last time they played at club abstract or any time they play there for that matter. The shows that shine are getting to be futhur and furhtur apart. They still rock and when they are on it is pure magic. As canada #1 homegrown band for phamilies they should take on the respoinsblity to evolve and progess w/ our small but devoted community. I often wonder how many times these guys have practiced in the last little while. okay again I am sorry to all the people that will fume when they read this. it is not meant as a out down but as a discussion starter

peace

the dump

I really hope we dont start seeing these 'rec.music.phish' type posts here, so I am only going to say this once.....

If you find the band less than inspiring, go to fewer shows

I dont think there is any need for a lengthy debate as to whether or not BnB is going through the motions or whatever. That will only bring out a bunch of negative emotions and hurt feelings.

Dump somewhere else..........

I disagree, Booche. I think everyone's entitled to their opinion, and the Dumpman may have a point, not that I feel qualified to respond, having only seen a handful of shows.

My question is this- what does it take for a very good band to take the next step into True Greatness?

Obviously a devout dedication to improving one's abilities is necessary.... how did the Grateful Dead become sooo good (in their heyday)? It's not JUST the fact that Phil and Jerry were/are touched with genius. There's something more to it than that.

Any thoughts?

This is the exact point I was try to make. Davey nailed it. I mean the greats are highly talented but it didn't stop them from practicing 8-10 hours a day. I am well aware of the type of comments that come up w/ phish and other jam bands. I admit that I have been going to too many burt shows, but that kinda sucks. A year ago I would sometimes catch 5 shows a week and dance my ass off every time. It was a new and fresh. They need to get together and practice more.

Everytime you read anything about Trey all he talks about is how much they practice. Striving to come up with new sounds and styles to evole both the music and the shows. I guess this really more about what it takes to be a community based band thatn it is about the burties. Sorry I don't mean to dump but you know how it is.......

This makes me think of an episode of cheers where Norm is going on about how some guy sat in a stool beside him for 18 hours straight, and how pathetic it was for him to sit there so long.

If you are actually aware that the music doesn't appear fresh to you, then maybe you should step back for a bit. It's great to go out and support a band, but even the best jazz musicians would seem repetitive if you saw them enough.

Spend some time seeing some of the other fantastic bands available. Where are you from?

Burt has been touring and playing tons of live shows for a long time now. I think that they have a break scheduled, or at least a major reduction in the number of gigs they will play over the months of October, November, and December. Probably a good chance for the band to rest and work on some new stuff. It must be tough to be really creative, change around arrangements, and write new songs when you are either 1. playing a live show or 2. driving in a van to get to a live show.

It is really hard to be a touring band in Canada. Yes, lots of fun, but eventually the reality of paying bills and the wear and tear of travel takes it's toll. What can we do as fans to help keep it fresh? Let's keep supporting the scene by going out to gigs, paying to see these great bands, buying their cd's, and dragging out new people to the shows.

I think that the original post by dump is fair and thoughtful, and hopefully doesn't lead to bad feelings for band members and fans. I think the post reflects one person's perception of the reality of playing and creating music.

I love BNB and hope that they continue to do their thing for many years to come.

Peace, Mark

yes I do not want to hurt anyones feelings by my post. I must be hard as hell to make a living as atouring band in Canada. As much as it seems like there are alot of people into our scence we are very small. How many people are at a good burt show? 300-400 at the most. That is nothing when comapered to what bands of the mainstream get. I will always support the burties and all local bands that got groove. The canadian music scence is small and relativly a non-issue when comapared to the USA. Hey and i'm glad for it. I think we have a special thing going. We are a relativly new community in Canada. I have enjoyed watching the groove scene grow. i cherish being part of it and support and promote canadian bands both in my own country and around the world. I always bring a few copies of my favorite burtie shows when I travel abroad, passing them off to expose people to the fantastic things that these guys can do. I am aware of the upcoming break and look forward to the incarnation that this time will create.

Long live the burt.

Ps. I hail from the dump and that is where i stay

First off, yes everyone is entitiled to their opinion and if I apologize if I came off as one that wont listen. I have had a number of horrific encounters on so many message boards and such, I just was trying to head that attitude off at the pass.

As for Daveyboy's question, I have felt that timing is key any band becoming immortalized. You have to be at the right place and time and have your music touch people on a deeper level than it normally could/would. You cant control that though. Obviously there is so much more to it than that but it is a huge factor none the less.

You must have seen a lot of Burt shows man. I've seen maybe 15 and I can still handle a "Yellow Pants" each and every show, in fact I hope to see a "Yellow Pants" and few other favorites at each and everyshow.

On the other hand, just a few days, ago, I was starting to wonder about when some new songs might start popping up. Seems the band is planning on taking a break and we might see some new stuff develop from that.

You totally have to give credit to these guys, they do have great songs and lots of 'em, they do switch up the setlists pretty good too.

"On the other hand, just a few days, ago, I was starting to wonder about when some new songs might start popping up. Seems the band is planning on taking a break and we might see some new stuff develop from that."

You nailed it Harpua. That is what I was trying to say. I love the burites. I wish for a killin function or a blastin' down with the sound. everytime i hear stop 28 I start go up up up!!! I was just curious if anyone was thinking some of the same things i was.

Hey and Booche don't sweat it. I would hate to see a phans.com or gadiels type thing happen here. I mean they don't even have MB's anymore b/c of all the bullshit. I will not be a regular dumper, sometimes we all have a little alter ego in us......POOF

gone to the dump

Its just like why does Trey play the same darn Character Zero and Guyute every other show when they have so much other tunes to choose from and people like me, have seen these tunes like 25 times and almost cant stand them anymore, not because they aren't good tunes, but rather because they "seem" overplayed.

I think its just because bands get in a familiar groove with certain songs, or the have favorites they like to play from time to time and those songs appear more often in the setlist rotation.

In repsonse to the posting that has occured on this topic...

please keep in mind the following:

- part of the goal of an up and coming band in the canadian music scene is to not only maintain fans that they have accumulated through steady tourinng but to also play for fans who have never heard them before

- I believe that the reason "dump" has seen this band play over and over, has something to do with the fact that bnb has "it"... a unique blend of extraordinary talent and charisma, coupled w/ both an onstage and offstage connection that shines through in every performance

- this being said, a touring band, as you know, will often play songs over and over in order to perfect these songs in their repertoire. if one is to perfect one's craft, this does mean repeating songs throughout touring; hoping that true fans will enjoy and appreciate these songs and the little tweaks w/in them that may differ in a performance and that newer fans enjoy these songs and will come back again , hoping to hear that song that caught their ear in the first place. a lot of fans have the chance to catch these guys only once a month, or once a tour and would much rather see a near perfected piece of magic than an unpolished attempt at a newer song. repeating the performance of songs also allows a band to effortlessly revist them in years to come as the song has become a part of their person and their history

- a true fan will accept this and realize that bnb is not phish, or the dead, who had decades to hone their craft and the financial means to practice 8-10 hours/day. when a band is on the road, there is no time to "practice". the stage becomes their practice space. when a band is off the road for a day or two at a time on tour, this is time for dealing with family, friends, finances, etc.

- i guess the point that i am trying to make is that i resent the original posting for many reasons. mainly b/c i am a huge bnb fan and friend who has seen them time and time again and look forward to seeing them for years to come. postings like the one above, i feel, are not positive re-inforcement. these guys are taking a break and really, if i were them, the last thing i would want to hear before starting my break is that their fans think that their music and them are getting tired. i just want to say, keep on making those beautiful sounds and for any person who feels that bnb are lacking something recently, i have met dozens more in the last little while who are both psyched and rejuvinated after hearing bnb tunes for the first time

tube the tube boys and keep on playing and smiling!

My 2 little pennies....First off, I have to say that yes, everyone is entitled to an opinion. However, I think one needs to choose the proper words for describing what is exactly going on. I think most people in our scene would agree that BNB is THE band in Canada to catch. That said, I would hope that those same people would realize that this is still a young band when compared to the "grand" scheme of things.

Evolution!! This word applies to the music. Every time the band comes back out east, or west, everyone always says how much they have improved. Things don't happen in the blink of an eye. A year is no more than a blink of an eye when it comes to evolution. *Not to make a comparison* but has anyone ever listened some '65 dead? then moved on to some '67 tunes by the same band?? Its mind blowing......now, from 67-70, how many times did they play St. Steven>Eleven>love light or some similar combination there of?? And ya know what? this is my personal favorite era ...Jump ahead to '75 and Blues For Allah....exactly...

Im just saying that over time, things change. Im sure the folks that have listened to the band since 97 or earlier could tell you how different things are today...all im saying is that a year is such a small amount of time.

Support local musicians by buying their albums, tickets and merch, and by trading, giving, offering, and exposing new music to your friends. A little work goes along way and keeps the bands coming back smile.gif" border="0

CHECK THE DIGITAL TREE BOARD AND THE B+P BOARD FOR SOME OFFERS.

Either way ya say it, I think everybody on here knows Burt Neilson is the shit. I consider myself VERY VERY lucky to be able to catch them as often as I do and they amaze every damn day I do. They have alot of songs that I want to see every single night. Not that they do that or anything. I am stunned by the range of styles and songs and unique sound these guys have, especially for as SolarGarlic mentioned, a fairly young, but God-like band. The only reason I was wondering about new songs coming out is not because there is anything lacking, but instead because I'm sure they are gonna be good.

No body expects the Spanish Inquisition...

I can relate to what Dump is saying and I love to dump on bands so it's doubly good. Really Mark nailed it, they're hitting what can be called the low ceiling of the Canadian touring market. If you ask me the Pocket Dwellers are there too. So their kind of burnt out because they don't know what exactly they're working towards, i.e. better guarantees in Canada, better guarantees in the States, record deals and distro. No question they have hit their stride, they are striding. But there's another element there which has to do with loading all your gear in and out of a place night after night- there's not too much magic happening when everyone's at home puffing down or laying their girl and the boys are still loading out.

My two cents as always.

I don't think that there is any unacceptable notions here. I'm seeing that the original post sparked one of the many great debates/discussions that happen from time to time, which I think are great and wonderful.

I also believe that the main gripe would be mostly related to experiencing people complain about a bands repetitiveness, while in the same sentence stating that they've been to ever bleedin' show on a tour. How likely are you going to see songs over and over if you go to every show?

That obviously wasn't the real issue in the original post, but it certainly smelled like it at the onset.

Kung, you are critical by nature, i think.

BUt..I agree with you.. Critical observation and commentary is one thing, and slagging is another thing completely. Dump's comments stirred a nice thread and he made points that felt strongly about, and i dont think he slagged the bnb at all. I think its great that people on the forum dont like the prospect of negativity, but criticism isn't always negative.

opinions don't always have to be easy to swallow.

so says me, and my petit monchi-chi

Archived