Jambands.ca

10-16-89 - ITS OUT! GO BUY IT!

Booche

I cant believe it is finally here. My favorite later-day Dead show......

Grateful Dead

Meadowlands Arena, East Rutherford, NJ 10/16/89

acapella.jpg

Grateful Dead and Arista Records proudly present Nightfall Of Diamonds, the latest in a long line of precious gems from the Grateful Dead vault. Recorded at New Jersey’s Meadowlands Arena in October 1989, this two-CD set captures the Dead in a peak performance, beautifully mixed and digitally mastered from the 24-track analog source tape.

The birthday boy kicks off the show in fine style with a solidly rocking rendition of "Picasso Moon," appearing here for the first time on a live Grateful Dead release. Other highlights from the show’s first set include: "Mississippi Half-Step Uptown Toodeloo;" the title tune from the Dead’s then-new album "Built to Last;" a gorgeous version of "Let It Grow;" and a roof-raising, set-closing "Deal."

The second set lifts off with "Dark Star," receiving only its fourth performance of the 1980s, and the band sets its sights on deep space from the start, making the set one of those patented seamless aural tapestries, interweaving "Dark Star" with "Playing In The Band," "Uncle John’s Band" and plenty of freewheeling jamming. Brent Mydland is represented by the tender lullaby "I Will Take You Home" (a world apart from the rancorous blues of "Never Trust A Woman", his contribution to the first set). Weir’s rocker "I Need A Miracle" turns the intensity way up, then gives way to the heartbreakingly beautiful "Attics Of My Life" --which in turn morphs into reprises of "Dark Star" and "Playing In The Band." After that, nothing more needs to be said but "We Bid You Goodnight." Which is just what the band does, with the old Bahamian hymn of that name.

CALL 1-800-CAL-DEAD

CD ONE

Picasso Moon

Mississippi Half-Step Uptown Toodeloo

Feel Like A Stranger

Never Trust A Woman

Built To Last

Stuck Inside Of Mobile With

The Memphis Blues Again

Let It Grow

Deal

CD TWO