Jambands.ca

Oh MyDeski

Booche

The two older folks sitting next to us took off running at the intermission- I think they were scared.

Probably season ticket holders, to boot.

There were moments when every cell in my body was moving in time to the musak... quite a nifty feeling, reminds me of this time I accidentally ate half an ounce of pot then went on a kiddy roller coaster..... for an hour and a half.

During the last phew laps I noticed out of the corner of my eye a small crowd forming then a siren, headlights, and flashing lights. That's where the night gets fuzzy.....

I actually had a strange interaction with some dude after the show. He asked me what I thought of the show, and I replied that I enjoyed it (I was in a bit of a trance afterwards) He procceded to tell me that this was a perfect example to him of the people in Ottawa. I was a little puzzled. Then he said that people here would go crazy for someone who just made farting noises on stage, and they'd eat everything up.

I wasn't quite sure what to make of this. I enjoyed the show. I believe there is a fine line between avant-garde and kindergarden, but I think mmw walk that line quite well. How well they play together, completely outside is pretty incredible.

Was it just me, or did anyone else notice that the bass was really difficult to hear sometimes? not the super lows, but everything else.

That was me you talked to outside Pablo and NO you were not the only one with regards to bass issues. I started a crazy/paranoid thought process which ran a course and I never did come to a definite conclusion (am I just high?).

I have a feeling that I am UNBELIEVABLY spoiled by Phil Lesh. His sound is so cryptically enveloping that I cant seem to shake it whenever I listen to anothers setup and all I can do is think "well, it could be better here, could be better there..."...this only regards sound remember.......

so yes, I was very disappointed with the sound of the bass at points but who knows?

maybe I am just crazy........

is it me or the moment?

phil1.JPG

I have a feeling ther was some proble with "phase" on the sound system last night. As if the speakers were hooked up

+ - one side - + the other side.

This kind of proble usually causes "pockets" of bass and "pockets" of no bass

unfortunately my seat was in a no bass pocket smile.gif" border="0

shane said the bass was sweet down by the speakers..

I personally loved the bass. Sitting right in front of it may have helped too. There were definate times that his bass was felt right through my body as a real chill. I thought at first that it might have been the stench of the kids beside me, but it was not.

Also, I noticed Medeski, early on, and a couple of other times making some strange

facial and arm gesture as to direct someone to "grow", or "expand" something. There was someone on the side of Martin, that was being directed. I had even noticed the Woodinator sending signals to the unseen force as well. Could be related to your bass issues.

I really enjoyed the bass all the way.

I witnessed Mr Bass turn to his left and motion Mr Sound Man to turn him up (or so I thought) a number of times........

Personally, I wished I was running that board and knew what I was doing 'cause I would have cranked him, including the second set.

But I did love his style and what he did with that slide during "Funny Wang Dang Doodle"

I thought the bass was actually pretty good. You have to keep in mind (in comparing Chris' sound to Phil's) that amplifying an upright bass and making it sound excellent is TONS more difficult than amplifying an electric bass which has proper pickups, little resonnance, etc. Also, Phil plays with a pick, which gives each note he plays a lot of clarity and sharpness. Most bass players don't use a pick (especially in jazz).

All in all, a GRAND evening. Good to see everyone again!

Blane

WHOA!

I didnt mean to sound like too much of a Phreak!

From the spots I was in, I wanted to boom it and I know all the rest.

To tell the truth, I knew I should have moved around at the time to find that hole, but I found myself strapped into a rollar-coaster seat during each moment and felt it best not to get up or I would be thrown from my chair......

I do believe that they had moments of blinding briliance and put on quite the omnipotent show.

I question myself for having never seen them before.

Heck, I mighty swell listen to all those shows I have downloaded over the years!

That show was great. The second set was one of the best sets I've ever seen them play. There were points where I had a rollercoaster feeling in my stomach- especially during the insane piano solo. buzzed me right out.

Sorry for not being more social.. i was having a hard time communicating.

nice to put a face to 'h' smile.gif" border="0

does anyone have their program handy? the quote at the bottom of their bio/writeup (a reviewers quote) summed a lot up for me actually - if you have the program you can quote it directly for me, but the gist was that they go all over the place, but in the end it's 'worth the freight' -- i thought that a very apt opinion

My opinion:

The show was absolutely amazing... couldn't have asked for better. Perfect sound and perfect room. That style of room made it real comfortable to sit and enjoy. That clapping guy was annoying as fuck! Not only the clapping, but he was also moaning and growning and lowdly over reacting to every cool thing the band did on stage. The whole clapping as participation thing... well there's a time and a place. I don't think he had either. It kind of reminds me of the "Comfort Zone" in Toronto on Wednesdays. They encourage people to bring their hand drums. That's cool... have a jam before, between and after the band. But no, people bang on their drums throughout their entire set. It's so fucking annoying!

Anyways, enough about that. It was way worth it for me to stay in Ottawa for the show. Afterwards I went to Mercury Lounge. It was pretty cool. What was real cool was chatting it up with Billy Martin at the bar about the show and his record label. Medeski was there to. It seemed like they had a good time. Billy is a super layed back guy and being on the road and in Canada, he was overwellmed by me giving him some nice buds for the evening. grin.gif" border="0

I can't wait to see more pictures from the show!

It's strange that not one person even mentioned going there for a quick visit. Free admission with your stub eh? H was just wondering earlier why we didn't go, but I didn't know anything about it.

That's great that you were hamming it up with Billy. I have a few photos to post. Most likely, they will be up tonight. However, I had mentioned earlier that a lot were fuzzy, so I don't know how many I can actually post.

I didn't hear any rumors about it, nor did I really even think that they were gonna come. I was suprised more people weren't there though. One weird thing was that we almost didn't get in do to a dress code. They said that they'd let us in even though we had running shoes on, but one of the guys I was with had to take off his baseball cap. They were playing some real good percussive house music.

WELL DONE P.P. for kicking down the boys some buds..... that's fucking great.

Reminds me of the time Parliament played at the Blues fest and I got Hood to offer George Clinton a Dutch cigar in the autographs lineup.

Clinton looked at Hood, down at the cigars, then back up at Hood and asked," You got any herbs, man?"

We were out, so Hood just walked away.....

That one is filed in the Tragic Folder.

Archived