Jambands.ca

Burt Neilson Lagging

kung

I missed Burt's set Friday night for the Halifax Pop Explosion as I had my own show up the road with Garth Hudson but I'm hearing reports they were in full rockstar mode. Minimal audience interaction and they're fairweather audience kept insisting they play Papa Was A Rolling Stone, the hoop earing crowd danced, then departed the floor immediately afterward. Sounds like the boys definitely need that break.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think kung needs some time off. Maybe all that writing for that hack website -=Northern Heads=- has made him falsely believe that he has a valid opinion out there somewhere.

Burt Neilson needs time off like I need a bullet in the head, but does Burt Neilson deserve time off, yes they do, after steady touring now for what seems like years.

I'm sitting here in Cosmic Charlie's living room in Halifax at 2:08 EST and the unprovoked comment of a roommate was that they definitely were not impressed with the show (Friday night). I cannot judge a show I haven't seen but I can judge the character of people whose opinions I trust. Those opinions weren't cynical and pessimistic but genuinely dismayed and disappointed. Is disappointment beyond the acceptable range of responses that one is permitted to have at a Burt show?

>Is disappointment beyond the acceptable range of >responses that one is permitted to have at a >Burt show?

No, but it works both ways, we are also allowed to be disappointed with your comments, or consider them invalid especially on the heels of your pork soda comment and your tradition of strange view points about bands/shows.

Unfortunately "kung", your antagonistic comments did not prove your intended point that "the burt boys need a break". They simply commented on the atmosphere of the crowd and the fact that there was "minimal audience interaction". In my opinion, musicians are on stage to play and perform. Not many people I know go to a show to carry on banter with those on stage.

Please have a mind of your own and review a show you have actually seen rather than a review of a review; especially if your comments can be interpreted as negative. And maybe also think to throw in some comments about the quality of music played rather than providing a synopsis of crowd requests and attire. It seems while attempting to express disappointment in the band, your comments actually only proved disappointment in the crowd which was in attendance.

A band does not choose the audience: the audience chooses the band. A band can be held accountible for the music and the level at which they play but not the "coolness, partying factor" of those there to see them. Based on your "review", it sounds more like the people out to see them that night might have needed a break from partying rather than your intended "the burt boys needing a break from playing".

Was it me or was this exact same topic up here about a month ago right when it was announced that BNB would be taking a bit of a break from touring? I really dont understand what all the slagging is about... these guys are a great band.. we are lucky to have them play for us regularly and usually put on a GREAT show... though I am noticing a trend where negativity on this board usually comes from... why cant Kung and Harpua just kiss and make up?

Tell yourself whatever you want. I'm not being negative for the sake of being negative. I don't know that I protested to know what went down. It was surprising to me when everyone I spoke to had bad things to say about the show. Some left early which was not par for the course. It's called deduction, 'hey maybe they played a shitty show'.

As for 'minimal audience interaction' I meant the band interacting with the audience. Clearly their audience that evening was an awkward mix of old and new fans and it didn't quite go off like your 'normal' swimming Burt show.

I've seen as many Burt shows as the rest of you. I know them personally and well enough to know when they are 'not themselves' so to speak.

Again I am fucking shocked and dismayed that everyone would rather do daisy chains around the sun then permit a full dialogue on any topic.

But then there's always Jeff Heisholt's comments on the matter from this very board:

"We care as much about this kind of thing as the fans do and I'm actually quite suprised people haven't started getting pissed off with us."

Tell yourself whatever you want. (okay, we will, it's more pleasant than hearing things from you) I'm not being negative for the sake of being negative. (Bullshit. Your first post was made simply for the hell of it...you weren't even at the show, what, you felt it was your duty to spread the word of one individual's shitty night? well, are'nt you just championing the cause for the little people!? way to go spidey.)I don't

know that I protested to know what went down.(tahts exactly what you did) It was surprising to me when everyone I spoke

to had bad things to say about the show.(It was hard to tell anyone thought it was bad, there were too many people dancing and having a great time- they must have been blocking my view of the people who weren't into it) Some left early which was not par for the course.(The set started at 1 and ended after 3:00, maybe they just had to leave?) It's

called deduction, 'hey maybe they played a shitty show'. (It's called defensiveness- "hey, maybe the show I put on that night was weak, so I have to rag on someone else for redemption")

As for 'minimal audience interaction' I meant the band interacting with the audience. Clearly the audience that evening was an awkward mix of old and new fans and it didn't quite go off like your'normal' swimming Burt show.(If only "old" fans came to the show every time, there would be no progression or growth, and thus no point in continuing. The amount of CD's sold that night is certainly testament to the fact that the new fans Burt made that night obviously had a great time) I've seen as many Burt shows as the rest of you.(not bloody likely) I know them personally and well enough to know when they are 'not themselves' so to speak. (I think they are more themselves right now than they have ever been- in a proffessional sense)

Again I am fucking shocked and dismayed that everyone would rather do daisy chains around the sun then permit a full dialogue on any topic. (this is a full dialogue, just because everyone disagrees with you, that prevents this dialogue from being full?) But then there's always Jeff Heisholt's comments on the matter from this very board:

"We care as much about this kind of thing as the fans do and I'm actually quite suprised people

haven't started getting pissed off with us." (he was talking about the setlists, not the performances).

Why is it that even though you put on a show that night, you felt it pertinent to get harsh on a show you didn't go to, rather than praise a show you put on? (oh, wait, I think I pretty much just figured that out) oh ya, the guys requesting "Papa was a Rolling Stone" were 2 of the hardcores who have seen shows all across the country over the last year. I'd hardly call them "fairweather". Actually, I'd probably never even use the word "Fairweather". What is this, the 1940's? Those rapscallions, those lollygaggers, they should stop their tomfoolery this instant! Well I never! Hehehehe. Whatever, the 400+ people who came to the show that night really seemed to get into the show. (even the ones wearing hoop earrings.)

Cheers

-D

Graham was never out, so he can't be back in, he was always in. Actually, now that I've read his posts in this thread, he's more in than ever before. Wait a minute, who the hell am I anyway, to decide who is out and who is in?! I normally try to stay out of discussions that involve my work- unless I can add information or clear things up (meaning I try to keep my opinions private), but this time I had to say something.

Oh and gentlemonkey: I don't see an indian leg-wrestling match anytime in the near future. Im pretty well tied up until oysterhead, then I have to return to my home planet for a while. But if it's any consolation, I've utilized my hypothetical leg-wrestling futurescope (they're big where I come from- removes the actual physical part of the leg-wrestling, and gives the outcome) and I beat him in about 8 seconds.

Life is good.

Cheers

-D

Archived