Jambands.ca

Friday New Deal!

gertie

Anyone else make it down to Palais Royale to see the New Deal last night? Wow! Not knowing what to expect as it was my first time seeing them live, these guys got me grooving in a matter of seconds! So energetic! So many "happiest parts". Anyone who has a chance to see them tonight (Saturday) should definitely go down.

p.s. 3 days till Cheese grin.gif" border="0

Grand time @ the New Deal shows this weekend. The Palais Royale is a nice place to see a show - nice hardwood dancefloor. The second night was less packed than the first and probably a little more experimental. I hope these guys spread themselves out Canada a little more so more people can check them out - they really are great: I spend a few moments at a time just slack-jawed at how tight and talented they are as a unit and then a little voice says: "dance!" and I'm lost again for anther 30 minute jamout. Feels good. peace.

Just wanted to let people know about the Phoenix as a venue. It looks kinda cool, holds quite a few, but the vibe always sucks. In fact it my least favourite "big venue" in the city. The shows I've seen at this venue (Beck, Tortoise and Les Claypool's FFB) have started early and ended by 11:00 at the latest. Bouncers give herbalists a rough time and you get a pretty heavy pat down at the gate. So just a heads up- keep your stash well stashed and stay on the down low when puffing. Still, the SCI show should be great and I hope it will be a better experience then all my past evenings at the Phoenix.

Oh yeah, if any of you heads are in to Drum and Bass, check out Milano's on King St after the show. A real treat for fans of the Toronto Drum n Bass scene.

One quick note on the New Deal, I've seen'em probably 10 times in the past couple of years (most recently at the surprise "Nude Eel" gig) and have to say that they have been getting better and better. Of course that is bound to happen when you tour and play as often as these guys, but the energy exchange between band and audience is very real and organic in an electronic kinda way. I'm real sad I missed this weekend's shows but I hear they were solid.

Pass the cheese

Archived