Jambands.ca

This Week In Kingston

CharlieDon'tSurf

well, kidz I better start it now, cuz it seems as if we gots the makings of an ad hoc sort of festival goin' on here...

so whos' comin and whatcha gonna see...

for thursday its either nero or DnT... this is quite unfair [Mad] , as i've only seen DnT once and they made me all tingly-like...i'm gonna see nero

for friday, its burt vs. seth.... for me (to quote ice cube) "its all about the benjamins" and I will be idle, as per usual, that night, rubbing pennies together...although with some slight editing of "pennies" i might be having a circle jerk...

so, i may or may not see someone on Thursday, but if i do, don't poke me in the eye!

Actually, given the choice between nero and D&T, I'd go see D&T, as I'd guess it to be much more likely to get a nero show near me in the near future than a D&T show.

Of course, you could go see nero on Thursday, then come to Ottawa for the Saturday D&T show (with ferriswheeler opening).

I think my Friday choice would be BNB, but I'm getting Uncle Seth (seamless with Jiva Ju, with BGH opening) on Thursday. [smile]

Aloha,

Brad

Notwithstanding my great respect for BNB, I'll tell you you should definitely definitely see Uncle Seth on Friday - but then of course that's my job! [Wink][Razz][Wink]

Two details to try to sway you to the Seth-y side of the street:

NO COVER, 3 SETS at Merchant MacLiams (although to be fair I'm not sure what they've got going for Burt at Alfie's)

& here's a recent review from jamhub.ca:

http://www.jamhub.ca/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=396

(although fresco might be pissed at me for using his review for this purpose 'cus he's a huge Burt fan!)

Anyway, whatever call you make have a fun week'o'music! [big Grin]

Peace,

Mr. M.

Go see D and T

I have to go back to the T dot O. (What dem really know bout dem T dot O) on thursday, so i can't really see either. Buuuuuuuuuuut

If i was here, considering nero is always around, D and T would be a better choice.

Burt is good, but not "oh man i want to dive into a brick of cheese" good.

Ultimately it's your call. But I live in Kingston, and we hardly get the likes of D&T.

Chicken Parmesan is nothing without the Brick.

Cheeser

I'll be making a special trip into K-town from the Big Stinky to catch a Thursday and a Friday show. I'm leaning towards DnT for Thursday, haven't seen em but have seen Nero multiple times. On Friday it looks like Seth just because the Alfie's venue although Burt is a guaranteed good time. I don't know if Alfie's is still the way I remeber it but I don't wanna be linin up for an hour and a half and be kicked out early. Plus they turfed me about 10 years ago for smokin a dube (the bastards).

AND....BnB is in Ottawa next week. So you have to get yer ass out here for saturday!

I would be a little hesitant about Alphie's too, but the last time I was there for Burt

s Halloween show, it wasn't at all like you might imagine, and it WAS a blast.

However, that was a wednesday night afterall.

Friday may be a different story.

i've seen drums n' tuba a whole one time, but it was simply yummy definitely a good alternative to nero, but i'm a meat n' potatoes kind of guy and nero seems to got a whole bunch of that yumminess....

you can solve the alfies problems by:

1) showing up early, but it is march break so it may not be too crazy

2) smoking the smoke beforehand

seth, by the way, is free cover (a little birdie keeps tellin' me that [Wink] ), but i have heard that the merchant has some poor 'line of site' seating... so you may wanna show up early there and get a good perch

let me speak for the dog......we went for a nice dinner last summer. i forget what i ordered, but doggie ordered their lobster special. it seemed like that was the hot item.....people at surrounding tables were all busting into their lobsters and we kept waiting and waiting. i was getting agitated and asked our server how much longer it would be....'oh, it should be right up!'. another half hour........at this point we had been waiting for our meal for over an hour and a half, the server came to tell us that our meals had gone to a different table and did we want to wait for new meals to be prepared. starving and grumpy we ditched and tried to salvage our evening......we missed our meal and we missed our movie.........and resorted to bugerking and tv. that's dogatthestation's grudge with the merch. and to clarify, doggie was going to school in new york at the time, so our evenings out together were few and far between....

that being said.....i love the atmosphere there and tried to talk him into going friday night and i'm glad you had a good time.

I also have a problem with the merchant (besides the fact that you cant see the stage if there is a crowd there, and that the sound is not very good).

One night I went to meet some buddies there. Anyhow I got there late and just wanted to check if they were there before paying the five bucks cover, as i figured they might of left already. He told me to look through the windows. I replied I'd give him my i.d. so i wouldn't scam a cover or anything, he told me i have to pay. I took a quick peep in the window,...and there was nobody there, a handful of people or so. So I then gave this long-winded speech about the differece between Kingston and larger cities and how we should try to preserve not degenerate those differences. trust and kindness is abound in this city! anyhow it just left me embittered at the place. I will go there but some friends and i will spit when we say the name (all in fun of course). [Roll Eyes]

Yo folks! Thanks for the feedback on Merch. I guess the one thing I'd say in their defence is that they treated us and all the folks we knew who came to see us really well, better than almost any club I can think of. I love the room, although I hear you about the sound, other than right in front of the stage and by the bar it's average at best, but I guess the thinking is in the other areas are more for hanging out and chatting than listening closely.

The one other thing I'll add is that I know folks who have started up bars or restaurants, and the first little while is often rough with getting the right mix of staff and things happening in the kitchen etc. That place, I understand, is only about a year old, so I would say give them another chance if you can 'cus there are some great acts coming through there (such as Erin Smith Band & Janine Stoll's Wit Project on the 22nd) that would be a shame to miss.

Cheers Kingston, hopefully seeya real soon. Ah, it's getting to be White Mountain Ice Cream time again, methinks... [Wink]

Peace,

- M.

Archived