Jambands.ca

Steak and Twinkie

gentlemonkey

The show at the RPI Fieldhouse in Troy was huge. Must have been maybe 8000 people there or maybe more. The hockey rink floor was about 3/4s full, and the same in the stands. At the end of the SCI set Billy made reference to this saying, that they weren't used to this arena rock thing, but it was good tonight or something like that. There was no security throughout the entire arena, except to get into the show, and to get down to the floor, which was easy to do if you wanted to.

The lot before the show featured a happening Shakedown St. scene. Due to long line ups for will call and the door we missed the first little bit of the MMW set. The crowd was grooving and getting warmed up nicely, not sure what songs they played, but it was all good. After a break SCI took the stage and I can assure you that the audience did not feel like this was a twinkie for dessert following a steak dinner, more like a Lobster tail and following that steak. The highlights of the shows for me were the surf & turf in the first set when M and W joined SCI on stage for a sick Impressions -> Superstition and in the second set the Round the Wheel > Land's End Jam > and Jellyfish > jam > Round the Wheel. Anyways, the amount of people at this show was amazing, definitely seemed like maybe the biggest audience these bands have played to in a non-opening band fashion. The size of the crowd was pretty much like a small Phish show. Which is a big difference from the 1700 in Toronto, and 800 in Montreal.

2001-10-27-04.jpg

There are lots of pictures from this show at the Friends of Cheese site.

Wish I could have been there. One question: is the SCI 'Impressions' the John Coltrane Quartet take on 'So What'? (IIRC, the JCQ was still calling it 'So What' even during the 1961 Village Vanguard recordings, even though it's listed as 'Impressions' on the VV album.)

Aloha,

Brad