Jambands.ca

Best/Worst Concert Experience this year?!

dogatthestation

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My favourite show would have to be The Other One's in August 98'. Only because that was my first experience. It was just amazing, the people, the atmosphere, meeting Andre', Mike , Graham and all the other boys. It was truly a fun time. I had a blast. It was a weekend of fun-filled memories I will never forget. Thanks guys.

This year though would definatelty be the SCI show in Montreal. WOW!! first show for me and I was SUPER impressed, they kicked ass.

I'll go along with Giggles for the worst show having to be those acoustic players that closed for Nero one night. NASTY!!!!!!!!!

Also Nero's Canada Day show was fun too!

Doulouhoo wink.gif" border="0wink.gif" border="0wink.gif" border="0

Oysterhead's pretty much burned in my mind as one of the best but I'm trying to weigh it against: Great Woods and Sugarbush '94, Bangor '94, New Years Run 94, New Orleans Jazz and Heritage 95, Halloween 95, New Years 95 (honourable mention to Kesey's Bozo Darien show- RIP).

Can't really think of a worst surprisingly. Last Rheos show I saw was so good they should get worst ever. They're going to do whatever they want no matter what. I want to hear Record Body Count, I want Alien> Horse. Fuck Harmelodia.

Well finally after having time to think about this ive come up with my choices... I really didnt think it was gonna be this hard but truthfully ive seen alot of great music this past year!

Show of the year for me has to be Keller Williams/ Charlie Hunter ... i walked out of the venue with my jaw draggin along the ground all the way to the car....

Honourable mention shows go as follows in no particular order... Trey at the Landmark in Feb... Oysterhead... SCI at the Phoenix... Project Logic in Buffalo opening for Moe. one word WOW! Mike Clarks Prescription Renewal at the Comfort Zone.. lets get serious here.. Mike Clark, Logic, Charlie Hunter, Skerik, Robert Walter.. enough said!

As for worst show of the year... had to be the Moe gig in Buffalo... as much as Logic got me flyin.. Moe grounded my ass!

With dishonourable mention going to Dinner is Ruined opening for OHead... as most can attest to as well as Drums and Tuba at .the El MO... Sorry Brad.. i just didnt get it that night...

Thats my story and im stickin to it!

As bad as those pink floyd guys were; I still think Greyboy was worse in my opinion. ALthough if the pink floyd cover band would have brought out a record player and played some pink floyd albums, then that probably would have improved their show; and still been better then Greyboy.

Hey, I'm old, but not that old! I remember a few students at the high school where I used to teach asking me if I had been at Woodstock (the original one). So for Halloween I dressed up as a hippie and carried a sign that read "Peace, Love & Understanding" on one side and "I was 5 when Woodstock happened" on the flip side.

But I did go to a lot of prog rock shows in the early to mid eighties. Didn't even know about the Dead until I went to a Dylan and the Dead show at Rich Stadium in 1987. The whole stadium was pulsating and I immediately understood why everyone was wearing tie dye.

Peace, Mark

Man, you all have forced me to reflect, and made me realize how many shows I have seen this year. This has easily been my best year for total numbers of shows, I can't even say for sure how many, easily over 100. I didn't expect that with "the hiatus" and all. Good on me

Best shows

My first moe and first trip to the Guverment is fresh in my mind. Wow, and what a great venue, no poles!!

Shakdi..... i still can't believe what I saw and heard... a new experience forever ingraned in my mind. I just sat there with my jaw open.. I managed to utter the ocasional disbelieving string of profanity.

Evolve.. Slip w/Pablo & Jeff of BNB.... enough said

nero... 2 shows, the last whipping and Canada Day were my favorites

Worst experiences

Yeah.... greyboy sucked

Dinner ain't the only thing that died before Oysterhead saved us.

How about a Babylon Sunday where I was forced to endure 2 bands who loved to scream SATAN!!!!.... what the hell was that??

I'm going to get crap for this but..... Luther Wright and the Wrongs?...... I guess I didn't get it. Country sucks!!!

Still lots of shows to see before the end of the year

You won't get in crap for not liking LWATW. I don't think that they are for everybody. If you enjoy that really rich ol' country sound which can be found in flying burrito brothers' "Sin City" for instance, you'd enjoy the collision of LWATW. I could be biased because I'm a sucker for pedal steel guitar, however.

Best: SCI 10-23-01

I've seen SCI 9 times now, and for me this was the best, easily one of the best shows I've attended (although a hard choice).

Honerable mentions to SCI 03-16-01 and 03-18-01

Best Surprise: KTDU 10-05-01

I expected nothing, and had my mind blown... I love it when that happens...

Worst: U2 (Summer Air Canada Centre) mad.gif" border="0

Man was I ever bored, bored to tears, couldn't wait for it to end... My wife is a big U2 fan and even she didn't think it was that great of a show compared to the Lemon tour.

FD.

I know FPA because I know Jody and Geoff. The others don't ring a bell. I have been on the mainland for 10 years now, haven't kept up with what's going on back home. I used to listen to/go see the following:

Figgy Duff-followed these guys from the late 70's until Noel' death. Great folk rock band.

WGB-how can you not like musical codco

Thomas Trio and Red Albino-my vote for best band to come from nfld.

Park Sharks-Chad Richardson of RENT fame played with these guys.

Chebcat backpaw-late 80's band with Ken Tizzard (of the Watchmen)

Drive-power pop trio. They used to be called Joyful Noise until their keys player left.

Kelly Russell and the Planks-traditional fiddle player backed up by Drive. Ever hear black sabbath play rocky road to dublin? This is what it would sound like.

Plankerdown Band-predecessor of the planks. More jazzy world beat sound.

There was a band playing a couple of years ago when I was home called Star 69. They were pretty much a cover band playing James Brown, Santana, etc... pretty good party band.

Tough Justice-great punk band!

WAFUT-another great punk band (with Ken Tizzard also)

Schzoid-thrash band.

Dirt Buffalos-great late 80's band featuring Jody Richardson. very funky.

Stolen Bones-these guys were mid 80s.

Honorable mention goes to Trouser Mice (for their name)

Thomas trio ruled. Jody has such talent it's fucking amazing

Barry left NF this summer and that is why FPA broke up.

Star 69 also broke up and Geoff Meadus (Star 69 and Dred heavy, if you remember them) now plays with Margaritas Calling.

Kelly russel used to teach me fiddle lessons.

Drive are also broke up but Sean Panting now has his own band back home.

The music scene in NF has it's ups and downs in recent years, 2 other great band that I've not checked out too often are Trimmed Navel Beef and the Eddie Stevens Quartet.

For a broad view of whats happening back on the rock check out www.deadlyear.com my friend started the site but could not find a direction to go in so right now it's just sitting there.

I forgot to nominate that the BNB show at the Attic in Halifax was quite the clunker. Although I wasn't there in person, I've seen the band numerous of times in the past (I even have some headee Spin Doctor shows under my belt), well it turns out that my friend's cousin's roommate who served drinks for the band (hey, I even pissed in a urinal stall next to Jeffery Kornblum at St Louis Wings once)whose a reliable source informed me that the halifax show stank as bad as the Sydney Tar Ponds (hardy har har).

tongue.gif" border="0grin.gif" border="0

Well, I guess if I've been posting, I should post on topic! I'll preface this by saying that I did not travel to see shows this year, so I'm pretty much limited to what went down in Toronto.

Best show (jamband)--tough one. I'll have to go with tND at the Church. Floyd teases, great lights, great venue. SCI is up there too!

Best show (non-jamband)--Fred Eaglesmith at the Horseshoe.

Worst show (jamband)--I don't think I saw any bad shows, but the show I least enjoyed would be Disco Biscuits at Lee's. I like these guys, but it didn't do it for me that night.

Worst show (non-jamband)--Lyle Lovett & John Prine. Again, this was a good show, but the Molson Amp is NOT where you want to see these guys. Too bad, because they are two of my favorite songwriters.

The show I should have gone to but didn't (and am kicking myself in the ass for) is the Michael Brecker-Herbie Hancock show. Dropped the ball on that one!

yeah well.

worst- widespread panic...won't spend another dollar on these guys again, but had been meaning

to see em for 3 years. a near absolute waste of

time and money...and i went to the show

(Nov 6 Syracuse, NY) with an open mind, expecting

to be impressed. oh well.

best- well, today i'm gonna say the second night of trey in red rocks this summer. that was special and unforgettable. but tomorrow i could be in a different mood and say the dylan show from toronto on Nov 8.

best suprise- EASILY Keith Jarrett trio at the Orpheum in Vancouver. This guy and his band are absolutely phenomenal!! glad i took a chance on it!

quote:

Originally posted by brennan:

yeah well.

worst- widespread panic...won't spend another dollar on these guys again, but had been meaning

to see em for 3 years. a near absolute waste of

time and money...and i went to the show

(Nov 6 Syracuse, NY) with an open mind, expecting

to be impressed. oh well.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one... Actually I've never seen them, but simply can't stand them. I've tried, man how I've tried to like them, but just can't... My $0.02

I don't have a worst really..

alot of mediocre..

but the best is kinda like a 1st 2nd 3rd

1st. MMW at Nathan Phillips Square (HOLY FLIPPIN MUSIGASM)

2nd. BNB in london at call the office.. I thought it was going to have a shit crowd because it was london.. totally WRONG.. great set.. its all about the guitar and keys that night

3rd. Band Up from the states as an opening act for Lo Faber, The Blue Quarter.. still trying to figure out exactly what it was, but it kicked ass