Jambands.ca

Question for all you tapers out there....

aberg83

Not sure if this is the right forum, but what the hey. Alright, I'm interested in getting into taping live shows. I think I'll end up getting a Sharp MD-MT99 MD Recorder... and I was then going to buy some nice mics... either core sound low cost binaurals or cadioids, or some sound pro binaurals. I will eventually get a battery box. I'm just wondering which you guys would recommend. I will be taping shows in clubs, and also arenas and outdoor shows. Let me know what you think. Thanks guys.

Hey,

I guess it all depends on how much you want to spend, what types of shows you want to tape, etc. etc. etc.

It's best to look at investing in taping gear as something you do right the first time, or you'll end up spending a bunch of money constantly upgrading your shit. Personally, I'm not a big fan of the MD recorder (nor are most tapers), but going to dat also has its own issues. The biggest problems with MD are the length of tapes (74 mins, 80 max) and the compression they use in storing data (same gripe as people have for MP3s). I'm not going to go too far into it cause it's this ongoing debate that people have.

Regarding mics though, I would definately suggest going for the higher end stealth mics instead of the lower end ones. In the end you'll be so much happier that you did, and you won't find yourself wishing for better gear 2 months down the road. The core sound high-end mics use DPA 4060 capsules which are GREAT. The thing is, you could also get the caps alone for about 650 Canadian if you prefer (directly from a Danish Pro Audio distributor). This way you're not getting all the modifications and whatnot though. Your call I guess.

In short, save up and do it right the first time,and you'll be happy you did.

Good luck!