Jambands.ca

What cd's are on everyones wish list?

Northern Wish

I am tapped for ideas for my folks..... They usually buy me a few, and have been venturing too far from my path for me to let them pick them out for me.

I live for the Band, and Paul Simon. And healthy dopplings of Dead, Neil Young, Dylan, funk, soul, jazz and of course Phish are consumed daily.

I need some new ideas. If only Breakestra or Herbaliser would release some more stuff!

Sean

For jazz, there are a couple of good ones:

Miles Davis / It's About That Time

Thelonious Monk / Monk In Tokyo

Thelonious Monk / Jazz Workshop Complete

John Coltrane / Olatunji Concert Last Live Recording

All these are reissues or newly-discovered recordings. I've got those on my list, along with:

Bela Felck / Perpetual Motion

which is classical, but hey, it's Bela.

Aloha,

Brad

Sean: If you're looking for Herbalizer or Breakestra type stuff, try DJ Food. Definetely anything from the "Jazzbreaks" volumes. Or their other albums are really good as well. When I saw them recentely, they performed their new album and aside from tonnes of crazy shit, there was an interesting version of "Mirror in The Bathroom", a cool version of "50 Ways to Leave Your Lover", and I don't know if you've heard of "Blackalicious", but they mixed in a great tune by them as well. If you're into something similar, but more mellow, try "Nightmares on Wax". Much more jazzy and chill, but very cool.

Not exactly along the same vein as what has been mentioned to date, but high on my list as of a few days ago is the "Story of Jamaican Music" box set from Tougher than Tough. It's a 4-disc set that runs the gamut of Jamaican "heady" tunes, from early reggae to rocksteady, dancehall and ska. Amazing shit.