Jambands.ca

QotD: 2003.01.10

bradm

Today's question is directed at those of you who received music for Christmas. Of the CDs you received, which was the most surprising to you? Not necessarily the best, but the one that made you say, "Wow! That's really different..." (For example, if you're a DeadHead, getting any of the Dick's Picks, regardless of quality, wouldn't qualify.)

For me, it's Bela Fleck / Perpetual Motion. It's on the Sony Classical label, and features Bela, along with Edgar Meyer (bass, piano), Chris Thile (mandolin), Evelyn Glennie (marimba), John Williams* (guitar), etc., doing pieces by Scarlatti, Bach, Chopin, Beethoven, etc. (For reference, Bela is named for Bela Bartok.)

The playing is incredible. A lot of classical music bores me, but done in small-band form, it's incredible. (I almost get the feeling that, had the banjo been around back then, it would have been part of a lot of chamber music string quartets...) It also has two versions of one piece, Paganini's "Moto Perpetuo", one straight-up classical, one bluegrass.

This is one of those wonderful "bridge" records: classical fans can dig it and get exposed to bluegrass sounds, and bluegrass fans can dig it and get exposed to the more structured and intricate forms of classical music.

Aloha,

Brad

* Any other fans of John Williams' old band, "Sky" out there?

I am thrilled to say that I got the 3 CD compilation of Handel's Saul for Christmas. It was a complete surprise to me, and I have to say that it was the best present I got!! My very thoughful husband is helping me to get ready for my performance of Saul at the of February.

For those of you who have not had the absolute pleasure of experiencing Handel, I highly recommend it.

Classical music for me too!!! My mom picked me up a classical box set featuring some of the finest pieces written by Bach, Mozart, Handel, and Beethoven.

Something I probably would have never bought myself, but what a great gift. The music is mostly familiar to me, but to have it all there in cd format is perfect.

Thanks MOM!

Sean

Hey Brad... If you like Perpetual Motion you should check out the Appalachian series on Sony. http://www.heartlandanthology.com/ Amazing Stuff! I was lucky enough to catch the Bela/Meyer classical tinged set at Smilefest. A killer set and a top notch lowkey festival. www.smilefest.com Favourite holiday cd's for me include Fleck's- Double time(acoustic duets),Sam Bush's- Ice Caps(live stuff from Telluride) and Railroad Earths- Bird In a House (studio new/ bluegrassish)

About 5 months ago CBC played some stuff off of the Bela Fleck CD that bradm got. I forgot what it was called, but was thoroughly impressed... Who would have though that Bach could sound great on a banjo.

I wonder if my dear wife might be interested in endowing me with some classical music in return for the Handel... [Wink]

As for the QOTD: Though it wasn't really a surprise, since I asked for it, the Beatles White albumn was my most interesting Christmas present, followed closely by Round Room. I had heard White once, on an airplane from Japan, while drifting in and out of consciousness (red wine and gravol, anyone?). I was pleasantly surprised. If you've never listened to #9 through headphones, I suggest you give it a try. S a J first, and you will be quite confused by the end of the tune... [Confused]

Round Room is starting to grow on me, though a lot of the songs sound like blatant ripoffs of older Phish tunes (I bet that ruffles a few feathers... [Razz] ).

Cheers,

Cheech

Santa brought me the Criterion Collection 3-set DVD : The Complete Monterey Pop Festival.

Some revelations to highlight:

Disc One - the complete movie in Dolby DTS sound. Unbelievable music that's never sounded better.

Disc Two - the complete Hendrix and Otis Redding performances, in Dolby DTS. Seeing and hearing Hendrix live is always a revelation, but having Otis on DVD too... well it's hard to beat - and the sound and performances are bang-on perfect.

Disc Three - this is all out-take perfomances, mainly in 2.0 Dolby Digital. Highlights include: The Byrds, Jefferson Airplane, Electric Flag and Paul Butterfield.

But the greatest thing on this 3rd disc is three Who performances never seen - Substitute, Summertime Blues, and two different audio mixes ( DTS & 2.0 DD ) of a sloppy, but interesting A Quick One While He's Away. Unseen Who, especially unseen Moon is always fascinating and exhilirating.

If anyone can afford the $114.00 Fucked-up Shop's price-tag, buy it! You won't regret it.

quote:

I had heard White ( Album ) once, on an airplane from Japan, while drifting in and out of consciousness (red wine and gravol, anyone?). I was pleasantly surprised.

Man, and I thought that everyone on this wee planet has heard The Beatle's masterpiece, The White Album. Dr. Cheech, I'm more concerned that you were " pleasantly surprised ". If you haven't already, check out: Abbey Road, Revolver, Rubber Soul; Sgt. Peppers etc... all great and must owns... alongside The White Album.

Guest Low Roller

Although I got the standard socks, towels, and toolboxes from the parental units, I managed to pick myself up some great stuff while shopping for them.

Among my purchases are:

- Jimi Hendrix at the Isle of Wight 1970 on DVD

- Bonnaroo on DVD

- Diana Krall in Paris on DVD (It's good, I shit you not!)

- Eric Clapton/B.B.King "Riding With The King". I'm not a blues kind of guy, but damn if this album doesn't get me moving!

Hey Low Roller, how's the Hendrix Isle Of Wight DVD? How's his playing? I've seen Hendrix at one of the Wight shows and he was really sloppy. But a guy at work told me he's seen footage of Hendrix at Wight and it kicks. Just curious, plus I'm obviously a huge fan. Diana Krall on the other hand...

Guest Low Roller

Hendrix is Hendrix. Sure he's higher than the atmosphere, but even then he's incomparable. I love the DVD. It's only forty minutes or so unfortunately.

I better explain this whole Diana Krall thing before I get stoned (not the good way, the Roman way). Skip all the sappy slow stuff, there is some absolutely amazing jazz jam-outs on the DVD. The musicians she's got with her are SICK especially the guitarist and bassist. She's no slouch on the piano either.

I bought a Diana Krall DVD. Mea Culpa. So sue me. [Razz]

Yeah Low Roller, Diana does have a great band. That guitarist kicks ass. My problems with her are: she's not innovative; she's smug and arrogant; and her song selections are predictable. Given, she does have a good voice and her piano style is pleasing.

Since you like the Hendrix DVD, check out The Who At The Isle Of Wight 1970 DVD. It fuckin' smokes... and it's 2 1/2 hours. The Who were really " on " that night. Moon was especially great. The " Young Man Blues " performance scares me still. Check it out.

quote:

Originally posted by Jaimoe:

Since you like the Hendrix DVD, check out The Who At The Isle Of Wight 1970 DVD. It fuckin' smokes... and it's 2 1/2 hours. The Who were really " on " that night. Moon was especially great. The " Young Man Blues " performance scares me still. Check it out.

This concert is also available on (audio) CD (it's a 2-CD set). Unlike the (first*) re-issue of "Live At Leeds", it includes the full rendition of "Tommy".

Aloha,

Brad

* There's now another re-issue of "Live At Leeds" with the full "Tommy".

Hey Brad. I bought the Live At Leeds box set about 5 years ago. I'm not sure when I'll buy the expanded ( i.e. complete ) Live At Leeds. The Who album I really want ( on cd ) is the re-issue of The Who Sings My Generation. It costs $40 dollars at it's cheapest. I have the LP, but I'm dying for this expanded version. Oh yeah, I also own the CD copy of The Who At The Isle Of Wight. It's not as good as Live At Leeds ( it's close ), but it's heavier.

although i loved the tom waits and johnny cash cds that dogatthestation gave me.......i must say the most enjoyable surprising music i received was accoustic allman brothers from booooche. i've only listened to it once, but it really caught me off guard.....nothing that i expected

I was only aware of one Isle of Wight show.

August 30, 1970

Isle Of Wight Festival, Isle Of Wight, England

with Richie Havens, Leonard Cohen, Joan Baez, Jethro Tull, Moody Blues, Pentangle, Donovan, Free, Heaven, Ralph McTell, Kris Kristofferson, Good News.also Jimi but just a few extra named.

Esau13 [Confused]

Oh yeah, that Allman Bros's show kicks some serious ass. I am glad you like it. I have always loved the Brothers, and that show caught me off guard as well. I think it is a radio show, or sumphin.........

Well, based on the rules, I am NOT able to add anything, since I was given Dead, Jerry and Phish. I did get a funk mix from another Brennan that is rather enjoyable, but I havent listened to the Robert Walters one he gave me or the Snoop Doggy Dog one either.

Patrick did make Mike, Music Andre Hates and More Music Andre Hates............and I hated them. Aside from one tune. The weirdest thing is that I love the instruments used (mandos, banjos and acoustic whatevers), but I cant get into Celtic at all. Proficient players, nothing music (for me anyways).

Well Low Roller, The Beta Band have kinda disowned their first album and I haven't heard it, so I can't really comment on how it compares to 3 EPs. However, my girlfriend has all 3 of their cds and she rates " The Beta Band " firmly in 3rd place. I can tell you, " 3 EPs " is great compilation and their last album, " Hot Shots II " is almost as good - it's not as trippy, with more reliance on lyrics and song structure. I'd say that if you like their first album, the 3 EPs will blow you away. Recommendation: Play it in the car. It's a great driving album.

Archived