Jambands.ca

Sanctuary Poll: Worst Band/Artist of 2001

Jaimoe

Since the year is almost over, I'd like to start an informal poll citing the worst artist/band of the year. The only criteria is that the artist/band had to release something during the 2001 year. Note: I'd like to eliminate artists like NSYNC, Backstreet Boys, Britney etc... because I don't think they are serious artists, but if you want to include them, that's fine too.

These 5 artists really bothered me this year:

1. Creed (too awful for words).

2. Aerosmith (brutal new album from a coasting 70's band).

3. Nelly Furtado (her annoying personality transcends into her music).

4. Diana Krall(arrogance without originality is pretty tough to take).

5. The Tea Party (see Diana Krall).

Honourable Mentions: No Doubt (I hate that obnoxious Gwen Stefani, and her band is not Ska); Limp Bizkit (annual favourite); Edwin (he would have made it, but he didn't have an album out this year); Our Lady Peace (I can't take Raine Maida's self-love... and his singing voice).

Worst of the year?

Cancelled Nero shows

Not getting to a single Trey show

Missing SCI in TO & Montreal

The Raiders losing to Miami

Treyter moving out

Bouche double posting

But you want worst bands?

ok:

Creed (totally agree)

The blonde Canadian skant that sings jazz (I think she is Canadian)

BoyBands/GirlBands

Eminem

Scott Weiland

Hope that makes you happy smile.gif" border="0

Worst of the year is always followed by the best.

A drunken Andre thought he was outsmarttin ya I'd bet.

Worst of 2001 is pretty tough. I've heard alot of crappy stuff and I wasn't even trying to hear it. Somehow it got blasted into my brain this year.

"If I go crazy will you still call me Superman"

...is one of my all-time pet peeves that came from this year, and is a prime example of everything that sucked for the year. I don't even have enough respect to even try and find out who and the hell did that.

Best of 2001 in movies for me... Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back....but that's another thread.

Worst of the year is always followed by the best.

A drunken Andre thought he was outsmarttin ya I'd bet.

Worst of 2001 is pretty tough. I've heard alot of crappy stuff and I wasn't even trying to hear it. Somehow it got blasted into my brain this year.

"If I go crazy will you still call me Superman"

...is one of my all-time pet peeves that came from this year, and is a prime example of everything that sucked for the year. I don't even have enough respect to even try and find out who and the hell did that.

Best of 2001 in movies for me... Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back....but that's another thread.

Yeah, bouche...even I'm confused...and you've seen the wierd crap theat comes out of my brain when i'm not even tipsy.

Space Case!

So congratulations to Bouche for having the most christmas Cheer.

I didn't think dinner is ruined was all that bad. Opening for oysterhead(am i right? - likely not but anyhow) takes balls that few really have. who could've opened up and done the show justice? I'm a little verklemmt - talk amongst yourselves...

Worst bands of the year?

-The guy who sings- moula "all the ladies love you and everybodys your friend..(whatever)."

-pink- BLaaaaaRGH!!

-any Pink Floyd tribute (cept Luther Wright and the Wrongs of course)

-BuBBa Sparxxx

-Creed

-Dinner is Ruined

-Strangefolk.. reluctantly got into them last year, and their lead singer left after the garden of eden show i saw. The new guys suck, and that was proven at their Cabaret show in montreal last Winter. (the Juicy Fruit encore sewed it up 4 me)

-Fred Durst's accoustic side.. rolleyes.gif" border="0

thats all i can think of-- happy boxing week!

Best Bands Live 2001

Big Guys

1. Oysterhead

2. SCI

Not Quite As Large Monetarily but also cool

1. Downtime (Best surprise for toronto ever)

2. Grand Theft Bus in Toronto over the summer

3. Caution Jam's Jerry Shows (sick sets)

4. Bondo

5. Snack & Lo Faber (Tie)

Additional Cool Honourable Mentions

1. JoMomma improving.. making like them more.

2. Comfort Zone adding Funky Fridays for 2002

Bullshit Items.

1. Abuse of Wah-Wah Pedals and Shaft-Ish Chord progressions.

2. Anti-Trey, ok what the fuck.. they are tired.. let them rest and when the phish isn't all swimmed out they will play again.

3. Being abstractly let down by Stewart Copeland's drumming in Oysterhead live, while recognizing that his is in fact the shit, and that it was an early tour stop.

Thats it

Worst is terribly hard to determine. I generally find myself fleeing in terror or humming GDTRFB extra loud in situations of bad tunage. I'd like to offer more generalized dislikes if I may....

1. The Hard but Soft Bands. "YEAH, WE ROCK but we also have a sensitive side oooh look an acoustic guitar now cry damn you cry."

2. The Token Canadian Female "Talent" of the Year

I don't blame them really. It's the industry that whores them out and taunts 'em that bugs me.

3. Boy Bands. Dirty Pop. Look for some more scandal to finally make this music more interesting see: Andy Gibb

4. Bad beats. Whether it be house, trance, or hip-hop, the big machine keeps pumpin them into the clubs/the minds of the next generation. Do the future a favor and give a good CD to a teen TODAY!

5. Negative Heads. Guess they've always been around, but it's open-mindedness that's supposed to separate us remember? The issues of 2001 will mean nothing when you pull out the "tapes" five years from now.

As for hope, I offer you these fine finds of the year for me....

Sigur Ros, Soulive, DJ Food and DK, new Rheostatics, Bullfrog, live Tom Waits, Ryan Adams, Strokes, the ever improving SCI, both Trey band and the o-head, and last but not least all the crazy Canuck jammers doing their thing for us and for the scene.

my2sense, scottieking

Bad:

1) Any "post-grunge" grunge music. (Creed, Nickelback etc...)

2) Fred Durst (If I ever see him in public, I'm gonna kick his sorry ass)

3) Corporate "McMusic" (N'Sync, Britney....) Thank God I grew up in the 80's (whoa... did I just say that?)

4) The general lack of jam-bands from western Canada.

Good:

1) Particle

2) The Spearhead concert in the park down the street from my house in the summer (it was awesome)

3) Discovering new Canadian jam-bands, mostly through phishsanctuary (thanks)

4) Upstream Entertainment

5) Sector 9 in Whistler

I also agree with everyone else, except for the wah-wah comment.

Cheers