Jambands.ca

Check out the Xpress

gentlemonkey

i stopped watching music awards shows years ago. They really aren't handing out awards for music, but for business and successful marketing of crap.

I checked the tv at 10 last night to see if anything was on that could make me laugh (I was laughing hystarically at The Bernie Mac Show....if you haven't seen it WATCH IT...especially if you have kids)

Anyway, I caught MJ and his brothers performing a few Jackson favorites. It was pretty interesting to see. I may have laughed it off years ago, but I'd rather watch them than N-synch crap.

He is a wierd looking guy until he starts dancing and doing moves. Then he isn't so wierd looking anymore.

Ya, for those music awards, why does the rock award always go to either Aerosmith or U2, even if they haven't put out an album in years. Like next year will probably be Aerosmith for their album Love in An Elevator, just like it has been every other year for the last decade.

Highlight of the show--Pam and Britney and their "stuff".

Not necessarily in that order.

Other than that, some rapper dude presenting calling Jenny McCarthy's ass stanky was pretty funny.

Pretty lame show all around. Even Kid-Rock sucked. I was expecting a bit more from someone who made it onto Phish's stage.

Guitar Dave sent me this:

from xpress

**nero is it morning?

Nero exhibits definite potential on its debut album, is it morning? The guitar, bass, drums combo is totally mellow.  There's a deep groove going on here, that can't be denied.  The band shows off their musicianship, jamming off each other to create a full, vibrant sound, but sometimes talent just isn't enough, you need innovation as well.  This is where Nero falls short.  The album is great in moderation, but as a whole it becomes stale and boring.  The line between mellow and sleep inducing is ver thin, and Nero is treading on it.  It could be good as background music or on a mix, but all by itself, this album doesn't quite cut it.  But don't take my word for it-decide for yourself.

DL incognito!! HAhaha!! Hiphop upstarts are much more relevant in this current music market.. hell, sample a police tune and rap about my dead buddy- i could be the next bubba sparxx . any body see the american music awards last night. I miss the days when I used to be able to look forward to preformances at those things. From what I saw, The hi-light was Micheal Jackson recieving.. "this year's artist of the century".. i guess the music industry doesn't understand the word century. Micheal looks like an 8 year old white girl.

ya, that was really really sad last night - and you know it's bad cuz the only thing i stopped and watched as i flipped back and forth was a blonde cher lipsynching and doing a coupla aerobic workout moves...

i didnt even know who half those people were and y'know there was more than one joke about that too like listing off a bunch of rappers and including erkle then saying "i just can't keep track of all these rappers!"

or puff daddy telling jenny mcarthy to say his name "like you did last night" and her saying 'oh that was you? i thought that was snoop!"

y'know what? i was just thinking about this thread the other day and i wondered of 2 things...

A) isn't it nice in general that the xpress reviewed your cd ? she didn't trash it either - just had a few suggestions and then in an awkward way told people to check it out for themselves - does anyone see the value in appearing at all?

B) nobody agrees with her constructive criticism? i was pretty drunk the night i saw you play, so i make no judgement whatsoever until i hear more, but you dont' see any room to mix it up a little more? (again that's just a question)

ok - i didnt really mean anything by mixing it up, in the review it seemed she said something about needing more innovation, so i wondered if anyone at all thought she might have a point - i am in no position to judge only hearing the band once, but wanted to play devils advocate. and still wanted to point out that any press is pretty much good press... the letter back probably qualifies as good press too...

i never got to see the letter back actually, did it call her an idiot?

Actually, they do mix it up pretty well, but maybe not in the way you meant. If you compare the "feeling" (not necessarily the setlist) of the set they did opening for Metalwood to the sets they did at the Christmas/CD show, there was a strong difference: the Metalwood show was a bit more "ethereal" and textural, almost mellow (it seemed to me they geared the show for the audience, which was more of a mature jazz crowd than a jamband audience), while the Christmas/CD show was *blazingly* intense. (And they did Freeway Jam! I may not have mentioned it, but thanks, guys.)

To my ears, even within the sets, there's a pretty strong mix (as there is on the album). There's sleepy/sublime stuff, blazin' guitar, funk, textural stuff, and so on. I find that I have to pay closer attention to the music (as opposed to just remembering what songs were played) and to how it makes me feel to get a real appreciation for how varied it can be.

Aloha,

Brad