Jambands.ca

Days Of You

Harpua

I know Days Of You. So does Andre, Mike, Dave, Paul Blaker etc... They used to play Kingston all the time, back in the late 80's early 90's. They broke up about 5 or 6 years ago ( approximately ), but I believe they are attempting a come-back. They were scheduled to play the Comfort Zone in early October but had to cancel due to drummer problems. I was there that night and was quite disappointed. Personally, I always liked Days Of You. My only critique of them was that they always sounded a little too Dead-like. Since they played mostly new material, their sound always came off to me as being Dead-light. Still, I hope they start playing again. I'm pretty sure they headquarter in Toronto. Ask Andre about them Graham. He went to tons of shows.

Dead-like?!?!?!????

I've heard that before, mostly from Toronto-oriented sleaze writers who were over eager to pin them down, put a label on them, but NEVER have I felt they sounded ANYTHING like the goddam Grateful Dead.

If anything they're Phish-like and even that is a FAR FLUNG stretch.

Me Booche Bouche Wackamole & Harpua have probably each seen them over 40 times. The original Can Jam Band- hey didn't the Nero lads play with them or along side them fairly recently?

My Too Sense.

I think I've only seen them 6 or 8 times.

One of my favorite nights was listening to those guys do the entire Let it Be album at Twiggies in TO. It was NYE as well. I think we had a major chinese feast that night afterwards thanks to Andrew Harnden's knowledge of Chinatown.

Funny moment #1: realizing that the guy doing the sound was the drummer or something from Platinum blonde, we all had a laugh. Harpua made some crack at him about doing sound at a bar. A couple of months later, I saw an interview with all of the members of Plat Blonde on Much and they were wondering what the guys were up too. Well, the guy that was being made fun of for doing the sound at a bar replied.."I own the bar across the street, Twiggies".

One of my favorite shows happened when the bass player used a fretless and no-one was dancing, so it went spacey for most of the night instead of mad-gab over-the-top blow the roof off jamming. That was an interesting one. And the 'Storm of the Century' show at Stages when 15 people went. There was a WICKED drum jam in there where-by the bass player started using the drummers elctronic kit, Waylon Leads left the stage and heading for the upper balcony to check it all out. The were give-in 'er on that one. Waylon was one of the most kick-ass guitar players I have ever seen. He "fucking spooged in your face all night long"

I would love to go back to the Toucan one night and dance me arse off to their music. When are you going to design a Dark Hollow-deck there Mike?

I used to go see the days ALL the time in Ottawa. My favorite show was at the Penguin (what is that now?) - I agree... Mark Thackbury is a sick guitar player.

I saw them last summer in Toronto in the back of some bar (it was like the Rivoli, but I forget the name of the place) There was about 5 other people there - it was some kind of private show or something - they still rock.

nero played with them last november at the Comfort Zone for a benefit show. They were cool guys.. The guitar player was the highlight, except he blew his amp 45 minutes into their show, and it was over. They did lovin cup i remember, among a few other covers that you see a lot, (shakedown?)..

We've been trying to hook up a show here, but they're all corporate types now.. they just do the odd show for fun.

Speaking of Dead covers, I actually saw them play the Deal in an encore. That was the night Andre, Barrett, and Pete couldn't make it out because the couch was too comfortable at 90 Curtis Cres. I think the word was that they were cancelled, but when I got there, they were still on or something.

A friend that was with me was asked by a girl selling DOY CD's if he'd buy one, and he said that it wasn't his type of music, and the girl slapped him across the face!

Harpua and I were talking about this a while back.

I used to go see them at the Pit (basement hole at Rideau and Dalhousie) back in '95-'96. We had lots of fun watching Waylon Leeds rip it up. They had an album that looked just like the White album too right?

Funny band.

By the way, did you guys ever go to Tsugai (or Tsuguy) at the Pit back then? It was guys from Hammerheads, Trevor Walker, and other musicians doing live acid jazz. Always like 11 musicians and 25 audience members. We used to get really tweaked and sit in that back booth with the crazy painting on the ceiling of the well with people looking into the the well....

Ok enough, people probably think I'm nuts by now.

I also used to go see them tonnes in the early '90s. I used to have tapes as well, but I don't know what I did with them. They were great! I remember they used to play a rendition of "Gloria" that went into "Dinamo Hum" by Zappa. At the time near their break-up they were kind of boycotted by the "heads" 'cause of things that they were saying. Regardless, it would be great to see what they would be like now.

The great thing about Days Of You (and the worst thing I should add), was their lack of covers. Of all the times I have seen them, I saw them cover the Dead a couple of times, Loving Cup once and San Bernardino a few times as well. The last time I saw them cover the Dead was their first show after Garcia passed away and they opened their second set with That's What Love Will Make You Do.

Oh yeah, Let It Be.......dat wuz guud 2.....

I, too, very much enjoyed Days of You. However, last off (and I mean 96ish) I found they were less inspiring. Perhaps just a bad show. It was at the Cave and not a big turnout. In fact, I believe Freeway Band was playing the same evening.

First time I was them I wasn't really into the "jam" scene. A friend of my suggested we see them, and I was certainly up for some live music. That was in 93-94 at the Glue Pot.

I can't remember the details, but my favourite show was sometime in 96. They played the Cave with the Izen Brothers (who weren't too bad either).

Oh Yeah, I remember now...there was an article in the Star or the Citizen where the Days of You guys were dissing the whole Dead scene. That's when they ended. All the fans dissed Days of You right back. Sorta like when Beavis and Butthead dissed Winger and ending their career. Needless to say, Days of You were, of course, way cooler than Winger.

Besides, Freeway Band was the shit back then. Too bad they aren't still doin' it.

Hey, I quit smokin'! Yee Hawww!