Jambands.ca

Liz Braun response- Toronto Sun

phunkyb

I have to admit I work at the Toronto Sun and it is so funny how many people bitch about it, I thought I was the only one smile.gif" border="0

So this was in the paper today, basically a response to all the bitching about her Grateful Dawg review.

here are bits and pieces of wha tLiz Braun wrote:

Liz Braun: Get over it

We wish to apologize to Phish fans for accusing them of being the most annoying and anal of all music lovers on the planet. That honour belongs to fans of the Gratfeul Dead, no contest, as we have discovered in the past week.

Judging by the e-mails we received after a very positive review of a new documentary called Grateful Dawg, we should get the chair.

For writing, "Grateful Dead fans wondering how they could have been unaware of this side of Garcia's creativity should consider that maybe they were too stoned at the time to notice", we received a lot of this sort of thing:

"for you to insinuate that Deadheads were using illegal narcotics, and hence missed out on this side of his personality is ridiculous. I hope I don't have to enlighten you to the fact that not all Deadheads use Marijuana. And even for those who do get "stoned," I can say with certainty that at some time over the course of the 30 odd years from 1964 to 1995 when Jerry Garcia was playing bluegrass music, there was at least one day when they were not high, and were aware of his "other side"

And this: "Was it really necessary to say that about us being too stoned to be aware of the depth of Garicia's work? Not only was it misleading...It was insulting because, regardless of our storied relationship with drugs, we were quite content to get along without the drugsif we still had the music...Your remark was insensitive because, as a matter of fact, we do have to get along without the music that could have been made if not for Garcia's untimely death, and I'll bet there isn't a single one of us who wouldn' gladly trade the possibility of having another drug experience for the rest of our livesjust to have him back for a few more years.

There's lots more but we'll spare you the details.

The Scariest part of all his is the word-for-word rant shared by enough e-mailing Deadheads to make a person wonder if there's a Jerry Garica handbook-of-responses included in this particular cult, no kidding. No kidding at all.

Are we that different, Maybe we are?

Freak Freely,

Amy

Thats very professional of Liz to respond which such slander too not only to Deadheads, but might as well cut down the Phishheads too while she's at it. I especially love it how instead of returning private email replies she publishes them with her own commentary that will leave readers wondering: Who is that crazed columnist? And why do I bother with this rag. Oh ya, the sunshine girl.

ya, you can never win a fight with the sun - we've tried in the past as well -- i'm actually surprised you got such a verbose response -- what usually happens is you spend an hour pouring your heart out over a letter to the editor, they publish it in letters and all you get in return is a one line sarcastic response, like "whatever, loser" it's the most frustrating thing!

but i dunno, i think she's funny, but i go for that nasty type of humour

Ya, except using my words within quotes, should have teachnically meant that I should have been sourced..... So do I write and bitch about her lack of journalistic standards. nahhhh

From the Sun, through me:

"for you to insinuate that Deadheads were using illegal narcotics, and hence missed out on this side of his personality is ridiculous. I hope I don't have to enlighten you to the fact that not all Deadheads use Marijuana. And even for those who do get "stoned," I can say with certainty that at some time over the course of the 30 odd years from 1964 to 1995 when Jerry Garcia was playing bluegrass music, there was at least one day when they were not high, and were aware of his "other side"

It's easy I just won't buy the Sun any longer.