Jambands.ca

Roll Call: Uncle Seth, Jiva Ju, BGH @ Dekcuf!

Hux

Guest Low Roller

quote:

Originally posted by Phunky Cauldron:

What time is the BGH + Lowroller combo going on tonight? I don't want to miss this once in a lifetime opportunity, but I won't be out till later on. Are we gonna see some blending tonight?

If by "blending" you mean "acts of random music by random people standing around randomly" then you're describing Blue Grassy High to a tee from my vantage point... [Eek!][big Grin]

Phew....! good night!!! ooooo me head (I'm nowhere near work today)

Some various Seth's are spread across my living room sleeping right now, they were great, thanks also to Jiva Ju, love those guys...

...and of course Low Roller!!!

PS - Uncle Seth's, drummer Mark, looks a hell of a lot like Peter Frampton!!!!! DO YOU - FEEEEEEEEEL LIKE I DO!!!! (I'm still wasted!)

Guest Low Roller

I MISSED PEACE FROG???!?!! [Mad][Mad]

Sorry for my early exit last night, but the music stuff doesn't pay the bills (yet).

Jiva Ju were tremendous, and I hope we'll be seeing these guys more often considering they are Ottawa locals.

Bradm: I'll pay you in whatever currency you want to let me hear those tapes first and decide whether they should be reduced to a fine paste or put in a time capsule for future generations to draw stregth from.

Thanks BGH!!!

Hey now lowroller. Thanks for gettin' up with us and stealing the spotlight from Dr. Hux.

Mr. Musicface RULEZ! That was such a blast to play with him.

I was happy to catch purty-near the whole Jiva Ju set this time. THose guys are very frikken good.

Uncle Seth...what can I say? I had no idea that they jammed like that. And those freaky-deaky harmonica loops which I ain't ever seen before were pretty exciting for me.

Thanks for coming to town! I hope the Kingston show goes well.

Guest Low Roller

Mr. Musicface is da man! So much fun to have him on stage as well.

I can't let Dr.Hux have all the glory can I? Did you see him try to push me off stage??

Post some pics!

Having seen both bands once before, let me say this: WOW. Prior to last night, I would have characterized Uncle Seth as more of a poppy (short-song-oriented) band, and Jiva Ju as more of classic-rock kind of band (with a bit of extended-solo-based jamming).

Not anymore: both are full-out jambands in my book, and light-years more enjoyable (to my ears) than my previous encounters with them.

I'll also give a big shout-out to BGH: I take back what I said about them being drunk, weak, invalid baboons; in particular, they didn't seem that drunk last night. [Wink] I can easily see them transmogrifying from Blue Grassy High to The Low Roller Karaoke Experience; having him guesting was a blast, and, I think, expands BGH's realm of songs to cover (to include, in particular, Radiohead). There was also some good train-wreck-recovery during "Heavy Things".

All in all, it was a great night. Nicely done, all.

Aloha,

Brad

Just waking up myself. I had a great time last night. Uncle Seth is an awesome bunch of people and I'm so glad they finally made it to Ottawa.

Jiva Ju..... WOW!!! Such full sound and really great song selection (Peace Frog was incredible!). Their jams are super good but a little short IMO, I just start getting tripped out into their musical world and the song ends. Not an insult by any means, I'm just saying that their jams are so great that I don't want them to end!!! EVER!!!! Hopefully they'll headline soon and not be so rushed. I need more of these guys!!!!

BGH was lucky enough to have the very talented Mr. Musicface join them for their entire set on the harp. Wow! It sounded amazing. And Low Roller, you nailed it my friend. Way to go.

Great crowd as well. Lots of new and familiar faces out. Jamband Thursdays are catching on.

Hey there all y'all! Made it back to Toronto safe and sound at about 5 this morning after our 3 sets at Merchant MacLiam in Kingston - a GREAT venue for those in the area you haven't checked it out BTW, and an even better venue to play - the staff are awesome, the pay is great and the amenities for the bands (including access to an apartment above the venue for chilling/crashing purposes) are unlike any I've seen for us "working class" bands.

Anyway, I wanted to once again say THANK-YOU THANK-YOU THANK-YOU OTTAWA! We had the best time. Dekcuf is a fantastic venue, I can see why y'all love it so. Reminds me a bit of C'est What in Toronto for the great sound and coziness but with even more of a "community" feel to the vibe... sooooo much fun! We are definitely coming back.

Oh, extra big thanks to Dr. Hux for putting us up and engaging in the "different-era-Dead-and-what-the-hell-kind-of-friggin-pants-is-Bobby-wearing-now?" type discussions that Jeff loves but the rest of us have our eyes roll back in our heads after five minutes - I think you made his month! [Wink]

Blue Grassy High – tooooooo much fun my friends, there is nothing like wailing out on a bunch of Beatles songs. You guys are better than I think you give yourselves credit for, the fact that I don't think a lot of those songs weren't on your setlist before I walked onstage was impressive - way to be in the moment. It was so cool to finally meet Booche & Low Roller, wish we could have hung out longer guys. Next time, next time.

Jiva Ju were amazing - guys, that was really your second gig? You should have heard Uncle Seth at our second gig, I actually have the tape and we really, truly sounded like the inside of a toilet. You guys were excellent, Peace Frog rocked and the blend was definitely something I'll be talking about for a long, long time! Thanks also for jamming on Watchtower at the end, like a good KY jelly wrestling match it was messy fun of the best kind! [Wink]

Thanks also for the kind words about the Seth set. Brad particularly nailed it, I think the thing about Uncle Seth is that we've always been a band of good songwriters playing songs and stretching things a little here and there, but we're really starting to embrace the jam-side of our souls and become the kind of band we always wanted to be. It's hard, depending on the room and the situation, honestly if you'd seen us the next night in Kingston it was a different vibe because we were doing 3 sets in a big bar where you're playing as much as background music as you are for hardcore listeners, so you end up playing to that and maybe you're inspired not to stretch out the jams but try to play the songs a little tighter and get more tunes in so you'll get to the one that will grab certain people in the room. I don't know if that makes sense or not, but I guess what I'm trying to say is, the atmosphere at Dekcuf really made us feel like we could pull out all that stuff that people will tell ya ain't legal when you're a bar band, but when you've got people that are there for a journey you can take things further.

To break it down, I'll just say I love all you jam band geeks, never ever change! [big Grin]

Thanks folks, talk to you and see you again soon!

Mr. Musicface a.k.a. Jay the harmonica guy

P.S. Hey who the hell bought me the shot of Jagger? Thanks to you also, although I next time I gotta remember my matra "don't mix, don't mix, don't mix". The Doc can attest to the results of me not following this standard strategy. [Razz] I think next time I'll stick to that Heritage Dark, was that what it's called? Good beer, good times.

Hey Mr Musicface,

didnt the doctor tell you that you wouldnt get so many nosebleeds, if you stopped putting your finger up there?

[Wink]

And dont listen to him, BGH sucks........... [Razz]

It was a BLAST playing with you, I liked the energy you gave us. The Dont Ease and 1 After 909 were super-fun, not to mention the rest of it (which was????[Wink] )

See you again, REAL soon. That was a more fun than I thought I would have and I was sorry I had to leave before your set. Good thing I did, or I may have been fired for not showing up the following morning.

quote:

Originally posted by Booche:

didnt the doctor tell you that you wouldnt get so many nosebleeds, if you stopped putting your finger up there?

Actually, the doctors are looking to see if they can actually remove that crayon from my brain without killing me... [Wink]

Great fun playing with you man! Now that I have played with BGH, I feel like I'm part of a legend. Of sorts. Sort of...

Anyway, next time we're in Ottawa we'll make sure it's on a night when we can hang before/after/whenever. Mwah-hahahahahaha!

- M.

So much Fun was had In Ottawa!!!!!!!!!

I personally had the best time, thanks to all who came out.

Special thanks to Handsome Jeff for giving us a place to crash....and for getting Jay all drunk!

I still can't get over how much fun I had...I just got home from work....I've only had 5 hours of sleep in the last 3 days.......and all I can think about is going to Ottawa again!!!!SOOOOOO Good!!!

yes..I think thats all from me.

thanks again.

peace, love and all that Jazz...

~*Tara*~

OH!!

I forgot to say that the cover of Peace Frog ROCKED!!!!!!!! for me that was the best part of the evening! besides getting to chat with the wonder DR. HUX people (they're so dreamy..swoon)...the down fall of the evening was around 4am watching Bobby in Daisy-Dukes.....*Shudder*

quote:

Originally posted by Tara:

OH!!

I forgot to say that the cover of Peace Frog ROCKED!
!!!
!!!! for me that was the best part of the evening! besides getting to chat with the wonder DR. HUX people (they're so dreamy..swoon)...the down fall of the evening was around 4am watching Bobby in Daisy-Dukes.....*Shudder*

Is that Bobby "Ace" Weir? I always said he had a distressing tendency to dress like the juvenile lead in a Gamera movie.

Rob Not Bob

NP : Old And In The Way - That High Lonesome Sound

Archived