Jambands.ca

Grand Theft Bus Taping Tips...

aberg83

Hey all... as you might already know, I plan to tape the Bus tonight. The equipment I've got is:

Sound Professionals Binaural Microphones (SP-BMC1)

Sound Professionals Slimline Battery Module w/Bass Roll-off

Sharp MD-MT99 Minidisc Recorder

If any of you are experienced with this equipment, any idea whether I should plug into the mic in or line since i'm using a battery box..? Given the audio system at the Bayou and how loud GTB is, I wanna know in advance what I should set it up too in order to avoid the whole trial and error period.

Well, indeed, pressing record IS important... I will probably just clip my mics onto a glass on my table, provided I get a table.. I don't feel too good about taping them to the wall or whatever and leaving them unsupervised.. I just got all this new gear for xmas and I'd die if anything happened to it.

Bruce is the owner / sound guy, and suzie is his girlfriend. Bruce knows more about music than anyone I've ever met, probably, and has seen pretty much everyone that we all dream about seeing. He's a bit hard to talk to at first, but as soon as you show him some respect he'll open up and you'll have a good ole time.

alan

you got a binaural mic? sweet!

i hope you only have one...because using 2 could screw t know, a binaural mic is meant to act like a person's ears. there are 2 capsules(it shoudl be a stereo microphone - 2 seperate outs) each on the opposite side of a large mass...kinda like a dude's noggin. the result is a realistic distruption of phase...a really subtle delay of the opposite mic's sound(because sound has to travel around your head to reach the other ear). awesome for headphone listening.

if you've got the little earbud mics...really small microphones that look about as big as earbud headphones...you have to wear them the whole show. if you don't it could screw up the signal, as it's binaural.

i always wondered what it would be like to have a show where, say, nero played and everyone wore those mics...you could mix the show and tailor it to be from the perspective of the drummer or bassist or guitar or crowd or sound guy.

if you don't want to wear the mics if they're earbud, get a big piece of styrofoam and put the mics on either side and set it up on a stand...if you want to hear more bass move closer to the bassist...record soundcheck if you can get in and listen to it.

the guys from gtb are really really nice. i met a couple of them at the party after the show at the chestnut(aah NYE) and if you've got binaurals and you explain to them about it i'm sure they'd be really accomodating.

cheers and i hope you could send me a copy.

good luck at the show

Well they are binaural earbud sized mics with clips on them. If they are not used as binaural mics, as in with a dummy head or something, they just produce a regular stereo recording. The signal doesn't get affected as you said. It just sounds like a normal stereo recording. I don't want to wear them for the show because the quality won't be as good since people might be talking to me, etc. Unless you want me to try, and I can certainly do that.

Someone will have to help me with the setlist tonight. I don't know Grand Theft Bus at all really, so before I get the show out to everyone, I'll need someone to let me know what the songs are called, and if there's a long jam with several songs in it, I'll need to know that too.

Mr Mojo,

A few words of advice (I've taped a couple of shows myself).

- You probably don't want a sbd patch if the Bayou is as small as people are saying. The mix will be off (vocals too loud, drums too soft).

-Getting your mics up higher will REALLY help in a small space. TOo much drunken chatter, knowing those Ottawa kids.

-Don't worry about theft too much. ANyone who knows me has probably heard tales of how GROSSLY irresponsible I tend to be with my stuff. Yet I've never lost a thing, except a few chances to tape shows 'cause I've forgotten my bag somewhere right before showtime.

-keep an eye out for drunks. THere's taper enemy #1. They mean well, but have probably been the cause of 90% of recording gaffes.

Advice Number 976:

Listen to Blane.

Have fun tonight kids, I will be thinking of all of you.......especially a little CTB with GM!

(ammendment)

sorry, that should have read CBT

this dominatrix must be a little bit more dyslexic than he/she thought!

hmm, probably more SHE on that one

Advice number 977:

Do whatever Blane tells you. His tapes always sound Stellar Blue............

Regarding your avatar, you wont get a custom one for a while. Shit, Bouche is my brother and I dont even have one. Apparently (rumour has it), you have to either do something for him or to him.

Advice number 978:

pick your own avatar

Here's some love, I love your avatar sweet-cheeks!

You remind me of Sally.

hmmmm, Salty Sally...........

when you see the setup of the bar, I am sure you will have no problem deciding where to tape the mics. there is a ton of info in here and not alot of choices in there if you catch my drift.

I dont know nothing about how to run the taping equipment, other then, like Pablo said, pressing the record button, but I can tell you that everybody else just tapes the mics up high, on a pillar, a stand or the ceiling. The bar is so small that you'll be able to keep an eye on your equipment from almost any vantage point, the people are nice enough that you could probably leave a $50 bill sitting next to your gear and still find it there at the end of the night. ANd beside if you dont get those mics up high, your gonna get nothing but crowd noise and chatter. Don't sweat it, wait until you meet up with some PhishSanctuarians and play it by ear. They can help you keep an eye on your gear, etc. Just my suggestion.

PS. This advice does not make the advisor responsible in any way for the loss, damage, or theft of equipment. wink.gif" border="0wink.gif" border="0grin.gif" border="0