Jambands.ca

Rolling Stone talks about Jerry Guitars

gentlemonkey

I still don't know what to make of it all. I mean, who the hell is GDP these days? Is Bob Weir silent about all of this? I would think that being a lifelong friend/partner he'd just want to do what Jerry willed.

Still, I'm sort of wondering why there isn't an uproar from the deadheads blasting Irwin for wanting to auction the guitars off.

I think he should be able to do what he wants, including getting a ton of money out of his life's commitment, but I'm just suprised I haven't seen any bitching about that.

As I told Giggles not too long ago, "I dont care if a collector buys them, Irwin can do whatever he wants with them."

Phil: Now that Jerry's not here to play them, I don't care if they go into someone's vault.

neither do I, its not like I would travel 1000 (or even 100 for that matter) miles just to look at them.

let him sell the guitars and give GDP a final bid if they want one. let the madness end.

The best part of that article in rolling stone is the post in the message board at the bottom.

"i feel as if Garcia was a tota lfish out of water when it comes to a real serious relationship he didnt plan to have a family and had to give last valuable possesion to his guitar maker that is a valuable lesson that the rock culture can learn if you want to have a family make some plans first even if your not the most neatest handsomest guy in the world"

The perfect summation really

Hmmm...I think I kind of care where these guitars get to. A guitar pocesses an extrordinary amount of energy. Ist of all the energy to create a guitar...it is (when handcrafted) a labour of love, of passion, and of desire to make something someone else will cherish. Then the player...(who in this case happens to be someone who really cared, and enjoyed playing these instruments) adds so much energy...that is absorbed by the wood....it nevers goes away it only gets richer and more potent by the years. That may sound cheezy...but it is true. As a lover of guitars, music, and as well Jery Garcia...I can't help but go Hmmmm, who getting these things? I they really want...I'll hold on to them...give them te respect they deserve! M

Last summer I went to the Rock & Roll Museum in Cleveland (which is amazing - go if you're in the area) and there were 5 Jerry guitars. And the coolest thing was they were pretty much the only things in the place that you could take a picture of. No camereas inside and the Jerry guitars aren't officially inside, they're in the lobby. Pretty cool to see all five of them close up. If I had the technology I'd scan in some photos for y'all, but I am computerly incapacitable.