Jambands.ca

Great book!

SolarGarlic

OK, I know most of you Dead fans have most likely read this but here goes:

I just recently finished "Living With the Dead" by Rock Scully. For those of you who don't know, Rock was the bands manager from the 60's up into the 80's.

Basically, the perspective is from the inside and takes the reader through the madness we all know, the Grateful Dead. It is TRULY madness, and I can't stress this enough! Very insightful read and I would really recomend it to anyone, Dead fan or not. I promise you will not be able to put the thing down....

definitely an entertaining book...

i wouldn't necessarily believe everything i read though...everything has a scully touch to it no doubt...i mean how could you actually remember those instances that clearly when he claims to be H'd ooot constantly??? some of that shit has to be bogus.

best part IMO is the jerry/keith story!! busting through the hotel wall!

that's so funny, and i hope to dear god it's true!

gotta love them dosing music industry execs to "get them on our side"

a little exerp to sweaten the pot:

The crowd is principally stockbrockers and bankers and wealthy heads come to see and hear the Dead. All these dressed-up society folds, and here we are literally at the end of our rope, having come from the wilds of Millbrook half drunk and totally stoned on STP. And we're trying to make small talk with these people.

"Is it true, Mr. Garcia, that people stoned on acid are immune to radiation?"

"Oh, definitely. Want some?"

"Is it true, Mr Garcia, that Grace Slick put LSD in the punchbowl at Tricia Nixon's wedding?"

"Thats a damn lie! I put it in...."

Its basically a National Enquirer.

BUT

I have it in my shitter for anyone that needs to take a dump.

This morning, I read the one about Scully, Kreutzman and some big black guy being guinea pigs for Owsleys latest batch. The are informed that the need to do some speed to really get off and then they do. AND BOY DO THEY. funny shit indeed.

be mindful of what you read.....

oh yeah, and take care of your shoes.

Personally I thikn Scully is a no-good, out-for-himself scum sucking shirtlifter.

There's a damn good reason why they threw him off the bus and a good reason why you can find that book anywhere for $3.99 or less (hardcover).

Dare I suggext that if it wasn't for scully Santa would be alive today? Perhaps that's going too far, but as Booche says, take the whole thing with a BIG grain of salt.

Flood control is a default option. I turned it off. Some people like to flood forums i guess.

If you start flooding hood, It's going away agaiN!

Anyway...I remember reading something in there about Jerry throwing Phil down the stairs, or Phil throwing Jer. Or was it Bobby?

Someone find that story and post it!

An interesting side note to that is that the show is 2/14/68

The setlist for this show is:

Set 1: Morning Dew, Good Morning Little School Girl, Dark Star > China Cat Sunflower> The Eleven>, Lovelight

Set 2: Cryptical Envelopement > The Other One > Cryptical Envelopement > New Potato Caboose > Born Cross-Eyed > Spanish Jam, Alligator > Drums > Alligator > Caution (Do Not Stop on Tracks), E: Midnight Hour

This show makes up a bulk of the live stuff you hear on Antbem of the Sun.

Here is an excerpt from the book "The American Book of the Dead" by Oliver Trager

"As Lesh recalled to David Gans in Playing in the Band, 'The gig that became the core tape of Anthem of the Sun was the one Garcia talked about in the movie [The Grateful Dead Movie], where he "threw me down the stairs" because I stopped playing for a while. I got lost and stopped. I couldn't figure out what was going on.'

That was one night we weren't high on acid."