Jambands.ca

LET'S ALL UNITE!!!!

shainhouse

As an alternative, how about something *not* solid: make a loosely-held webbish community, with threads out into as many areas as possible. Mailing lists, web rings, cross-links, etc., could all help to distribute the communal nature, rather than concentrate it in one place. People would be free to start their own little communities and then hook them into the larger web. Each community would be a little different (e.g., different kinds of music), but it would be easy to move between them. Start-up "kits" could even be offered that would let people easily create their own communities, and customize them the way they wanted. It would also allow the on-line communities to be based in real physical communities.

I don't have any objection to One Big Site (and this isn't a criticism of it), but my idealistic nature leads me to want something more anarchic, unplanned, and ground-up.

Aloha,

Brad

didn't yahoo already do that?

the nature of the web is that you can have totally different areas all linked to each other in totally different parts of the world if you wanted to - (they can look the same as if part of the same site, or you can have danny's world and debbies world looking different, --> you can do anything you want, its just too big man... the options are too many... myriad - hurts my head, we must be more specific...

if you have more specific ideas of things you want presented on these sites though, lets hear them for sure!

i'd like to see more wallpaper themes and animated gifs and heavy metal. wink.gif" border="0

Next? What do you want to see? (just a loose survey)

As things evolve so will the community grow.

New ideas will meld with the old ones into one giant organized globule of a site dedicated to everyone that lives in this jammy community.

That unified notion is only possible now because of all the like-minded people that frequently share daily here, and support all of the bands at every scene.

I like both Shain's and Brad's idea on this subject. As you know I've brought up the idea before, but there was only one reply. After talking to a few people I was surprised to get kind of a negative response back, or basically that I could help, but they weren't interested in hearing my ideas. I'm interested in getting involved in something a little more democratic then that unfortunately. Perhaps more discussion on this subject could take place where ideas could be open and free.

It's not a new idea, nor is it anything that is quick and easy to do. I hate to see anyone getting restless over a consolidation of information and services.

There is no doubt that everyone would be up for that, and that it will be a great thing to do.

Please, have some patience.

well to run the risk of being a little pushy, i want to give my 2 cents in here...

since the PhishSanctuary was established i've seen bouche asking for help, getting promises from many people, but getting very little actual help -- myself included, i've done very little to help mike out

i've also seen people give actual help without asking for credit... there's all kinds of ways to help, just posting on this damn board is helps a lot!

Overall, i think that bouche has accomplished one hell of a feat this past year almost all by himself with all his own time and money - and it isn't cheap to run this site.

i think he deserves a big pat on the back. not a knife in it wink.gif" border="0

I have to agree with H. Since moving to Ottawa a few months back this page has been a great way to find out about all the local shows, rides to shows, parties as well as tons of info about lots of great bands I might not otherwise have checked out. Although I'm a bit more of a lurker then I probably should be I just want to say thanks to Mike for having this sight. I love the local flavour and I enjoy meeting all the kids who are on this board when we hit shows.

A larger, all canadian sight is a nice idea but I'm not sure how that would work as a cohesive on-line community that actually gets together in real world communities to see and support the music scene as well as have a hell of a good time.

unity is over-rated and leads to a cesspool of mediocrity. large numbers promotes popularity of opinion to rise to the top and the rainbow of ideas fades...

that's my 2 cents....(did you know there isn't a 'cent' symbol on a keyboard? i just found out)

*sigh*

i make one cryptic reference and everybody takes it to mean i'm talking about them... does this prove the old adage "the guilty know who they are" or what?

gosh mr. carleson, we thought it would be nice to give away free turkeys from the hellecopter, who knew they didnt know how to fly?

why dont' we all just forget i even exist...

and go back to some of the earlier themes of -- What sorts of things do you like to see on the web?

Maybe instead of uniting, we should all form like 4 or 5 seperate squads.. We could all sell all our worldy posessions, and purchase a plot of land in Northern Quebec. Then we can have ourselves airdropped, into our areas with our teams. From there would we have to build our own team fortresses, and battle with each other.. (?)

Everyone should just remember that what this site and others are promoting, and the sense of community. Ideas should be shared. and expanding (of all facets is inevitable)- i think whoever is at Frontier Town May fest will see this and realize the growth going down. I applaud Bouche for the work he's done for this site, and in turn for the scene. I also have to applaud every other individual player thats made the online/show community in Ottawa... and Canada, brad, graham, lukeb, tonin, bands, people who trade, or runs boards, people who spread the word to right way, people who check out every show that comes to their town.. everyone is equally importatnt..

so lets smile, share a bowl and howl at the moon!

blush.gif" border="0blush.gif" border="0blush.gif" border="0blush.gif" border="0

Hey. I apologize for stirring any controversy, because I meant nothing of the sort.

I mean there are just so many sites that deal with canadians as our scene continues to develop and get bigger. I feel when I'm frequenting one and leaving one in the dust, I'm not doing my part as a phan to help out as many people as I can.

I'm all for helping out Mike on this site [as I am doing now], but if we combined jambands.ca, ctree, canjam, phish sanctuary...

or atleast create a webring or some sort of tighter community, I think if would benefit all of us.

Again, please don't get upset at my comments, I mean NO disrespect. I appreciate everything you web warlords are doing to keep our scene afloat, as my computer knowledge is minimal.

keep well

peace-shain