Jambands.ca

Pearl Jam?

aberg83

I know you guys are all phish crazy, but how many of you, being gen exers are still big Pearl Jam fans? I was only about 10 years old when I got their second album in '93, but I've been a huge fan since. Does anyone else share my love for Eddie Vedder's vocals and their laid back rock style?

I was literally blown away when I first saw them open up for the Chili Peppers back in 92. I have fond memories of listening to "10" on sunny days lying in the park trashed off a few bottle tokes. I stuck with the band up until Vitalogy, then I kinda lost interst. Yet i still go to see them live!

Hey Zimmerman, I haven't heard any one say those two words (bottle tokes) in a while. Thanks man, I just saw my life flash before my eyes! B.T.'s are a bit of an Ontario phenomena, or so I've noticed on my travels. Folks are usually a little sketched upon witnessing that ritual for the first time...but they quickly learn! shocked.gif" border="0

They have a great attitude about music and performing and they have a great deal of respect for their fans. Very admirable. However, I'm not sure they can write a decent melodic song anymore - actually, since the Ten album. Their last hit ( and their biggest ) was a cover. Hopefully their next studio release will prove me wrong. I've seen them live and they do put on a good show.

You know, I'm not trying to deflate any enthusiastic balloons, but I have to be true to my dissenting voice here, so just take it with a grain of salt: I'm 27, fully aware of Pearl Jam and their "status" in the musical world I grew up in, I've heard a number of their albums several times, and many of my friends whose musical tastes I respect love them but I just never got it. Eddie Vedder's voice just drives me nutz, their music is so ponderous and self-important, and I just don't see (or hear) how they have left a significant body of work that is equal to their reputation.

I also blame them for a lot of bad bands (with particularly bad singers, heard Creed?) that came through the 1990's. For me, Pearl Jam and Hootie and The Blowfish are only a few degrees away from each other.

Not even Neil Young's "blessing" made them tolerable to me.

Hey! I know some people love 'em and that's cool, but I just don't share the majority view on this one.

Just my $.0.02.