Jambands.ca

Shalabi Effect

Blane

I can't believe nobody let the sanctuary it was going on before it was over. I would've gone to see the show. I love post rock and spacy trippy artsy music and can appreciate drone...i agree that godspeed you black emperor from montreal is intensely climactic but some bands develop the drone...i saw the american analog set and there wasn't enough build for me earlier this year in london...I dont' know if it's the same with a lot of post rock but the AAS seemed a bit wishy washy as a stage performance...indecisive and not as comfortable on stage as the average jamband. I don' tknow if that's a similarity.

Anyways, there's definitely something about the orchestral texture of post rock that is really interesting to me.

If anyone's looking for another album to listen to try to find black rebel motorcycle club. A bit spacy. A headphone trip indeed.

stray from the pack as much as you can, i say - i think the misses teach a lot about music too

i saw a band like that in vancouver once - maybe not the same sort of "solutudes" type of deal though... these had a droney/percussion thing going on too, but more tongue in cheek - they included old family movies and a 'fairy' skipped out to hand out 'mr. men' books ... she got upset after their set when she didn't get them all back - word to the wise, dont use your own personal childhood treasures in your performance art...

that's what this miss taught me anyway...

I went to Babylon last night for Shalabi Effect.Click here

As I watched the band set up, I found myself getting really excited, as they had almost everthing necessary for a really kick-ass show. A tabla, an upright bass, keys, electric guitar....A LAPTOP....and A PROJECTOR.

The band set up in a semi circle position, all members remained seated (even the upright bass/laptop player which I found a bit odd at first, until I realized he wasn't going to play the bass in a traditional way at all, but would strike it as a form of percussion). Projected on a white sheet were images of nature. Elk, birds, waterfalls, with a single-frame, subliminal-like woman image thrown in a couple times. I found the images distracted from the FEELING of the music. I can feel for myself thank you very much, I don't need you to SHOW me that this is peaceful, nature inspired music.

The music was trippy, I'll give it that. It was improvised, I'll give it that. It had a very nice drone to it that was probably capable of inducing a trance-like feeling, I'll give it that. But it never really climaxed, it never built into anything too exciting. I kept waiting for some beat to accompany the drone, but it never came. The band was certainly in a zone of some sort, but there was no energy and not one member stood out as having visible, stand-alone talent. I'm sorry but I guess I'm just the kind a girl that needs a kick-ass guitar solo, a steady beat, or a superstar keyboard player. Perhaps I have been spoiled by the likes of Dave Lauzon, Remember Shakti, and Page McConnell respectively.

Next time, I won't flee from the pack. I hope you all enjoyed the Pocket Dwellers.