Jambands.ca

Phish?

camanawannalaya

I'LL TELL YOU WHAT HAPPENED TO US DOGGIE!

i-1.JPG

(intended to make all of you laugh, cause after all, I took ALOT of heat for being a Deadhead when I was at certain Phish shows. The irony is that I was there to see Phish dammit!)

What Doggie forgot to mention is that he probably would be up for nomination as 'Dude that Travelled Furthest For First Phish Show'

Kingston Ontario > Portland Oregon (with many stops in between)

Oh ya, i forgot to tell yous about my first show. it was actually with backbacon. we trucked down to cleveland to see em 11-13-98. blown away by the chalkdust opener and have never ooked back. So impressed was i that i hopped into my pals car and headed for cincinati for the next night. sweet weekend to say the least. sorry about that. i get all fired up on a topic and forget to add my info. anyway the lot blew me away too. everything was bliss.

That 11-14-98 cincinnati show is probably in my top 3 fun factor shows. Me and Harpua and Davey-Boy brought in about 100 ballons and got everyone around us to blow them up. During the Reba Trey seemed to be zoneing out on them. Fun Fun shit. The cleveland show was good too with killer versions of Wolfman's Brother, Antelope and Down with Disease.

P.S if anyone has a copy of 11-14-98 that they would like to give me, you would be making a dream come true.

Guest Low Roller

From all these great tales it has become apparent to me that I should go see a Phish show one of these days. Thank you for all your memories.

Uh-huh, Schwa is right. 11-13-98 was my first PH experience. I must say that it was my favourite one to date too. (i've seen 10 shows i think)

I would say it changed the way I thought of music from then on. Never saw anything like it. As with Schwa, I've not ooked back since! wink.gif" border="0

... and then I got lost in the flats and was half into a cop car when I saw my buddies and told the cop, "oh, it's okay, I don't need to go to the drunk tank anymore!"

Dogatthestation:

I do believe I've seen that Garcia beer cap portrait in Relix! I'm looking at it right now. Could the picutre have been taken by David Barrett? Also, there is a picture of a Dead cake right above that Garcia picture. It's taken by David too. It says 'Ontario, Canada' under the cake picture. Did you take those photos Davey Boy? I could scan them and get them up on here.

I think I should be a detective! uhoh3.gif

OK, this post was brought on by all the talk of Oswego (abnd the fact that I'm drunk). First night of Oswego, after the show, hanging out in the Green, which was the B-stage area, coming down offa dose listening to a crazy DJ spinning stuff...I lean over to my buddy Geoff and say, "Man, that looks like Jon Fishman over there...". My buddy says "man, that IS Jon Fishman". Proceeded to spend the next 30 minutes staring at Fish just hanging out trying to be discreet... he had chicks and joints and stuff... about 15 feet away from where our little posse was crashed out on the grass. Just then, the DJ starts spinning Misty Mountain Hop. I jump up, with a huge burst of energy and start playing air drumns. I look over, and Fishman is doing the same thing!! Two nights later, Phish plays Misty Mountain Hop for the first time.... and in Toronto. Coincedence?? Who knows. Maybe he woke up the next day and said "Boys, we should throw another Zeppy tune together." Well, that's my little story. Boring?? Who knows. Well, I better turn in. I gotta get up and drive to friggin' Ottawa tomorrow. And all you skanks, I mean, Sanctuarians I do or don't know better come and gimme a boot in the arse if yer at the Cafe Dekcuf tomorrow night(tonight actually).

Hi all! Long time lurker and first time poster living in Halifax (where I'll be introduced to your beloved nero on saturday). Now this is what I like to talk about. Hit the Ball as the newbiest of newbies, having heard only YEM in the car on the way down from mtl. Was confused and overwhelmed to say the least, but didn't get the "full experience" as we didn't camp. As a matter of fact, five of us went down and three of the guys skipped the second day in favour of attending a "rave" (sic) back in mtl. I think we even left day 1 half way thru the first set. At the time I listened to nothing but Leonard Cohen and had no background in improvisational music and goofiness. I think the trapezists during the Tweezer were my highlights, if you can believe it. But I made it to the Went the next year having compiled a few albums and live albums, much more in the know. Still a bit of confusion, but I do remember having my ass kicked during the Bathtub, kicked all over the lawn, pure euphoria, and was high as a kite on mushrooms (my first experience) with my back to the stage staring slack-jawed at the brilliant luminescent full moon (was once told Limestone was picked because it is the best place to stargaze in NA, whether that's true or not, I can't say, but those who were there can admit there were too many to count in two lifetimes) back to the show, right after the "thank mr hooooood" just grooving, so happy, all of my worries having disappeared, my focus being only the soundtrack to this perfect moon and as I'm staring up at it Trey asks Chris to dim the lights so everyone can look up at the moon and I turned around to look at one of the monitors to see if Trey was smiling at me 4000 people back and all of one minute later the greatest (because of its spontenaiety (SP?) and the flatness of the venue, as opposed to floor-centred arenas sham-wars) glowstick war ever. With the mushroom factor, my perspective was that of a picture taken with a slow shutter speed - unreal. When that set ended, I couldn't sit down, and didn't until we got back to tent city hours later. Sorry for the long-windedness, but it's nice recalling moments you can vividly remember when you were so happy. I just made my own day! As for my favourite tour story, Lemonwheel, Monday, 10am (the shows were sat/sun right?) slept in my van as our tent had been vanquished by wind and its being 25 years old and I find a knapsack tucked under the front tire, along with a little fanny pack/hip sack. I walked over with it to our tent circle and found it belonged to nobody, so I opened it to find 6 satchels the most perfect mushrooms I'd ever seen. Each had an eight inch stem and a cap that was an inch and a half across, no a speck of shake and in each satchel there were about 10 baggies with about 5 of these mushrooms in each. In all, we decided that I had found a pound and a half of mushrooms under my car while 70,000 people had filed into four long lines in their cars ready to put the weekend ehind them. I opened the hip sack and found four little bricks of opium and about an ounce of what should have been hash but didn't really look like it. A detailed description to a hard-drug using acquaintance led to it being identified as "china wine". Those of you who went to Limestone, though, may remember that the border crossing was in Limestone and we weren't about to "try and pull a fast one on unsuspecting customs agenst in buttfuck Maine". The hardest thing I've ever had to do, but at the same time, the easiest for the look I got in return. We walked over the the phatty station wagon next to us, asked them if they wanted our leftover mushrooms and proceeded to show them the inside of the bag. Smiles all around, to say the least.....

Hope you've all enjoyed my ramblings. I need to tour soooooo badly!

Truly,

Christmas Tree

BTW, tons of good threads this morning!

BTW(2) Does one of you boo(u)ches know Mattias Loerstcher? I seem to remember meeting an Ottawan named Bouchard and random phish and cheese shows.

Hey PEIpunk!!! I was there during that Misty Mountain Hop!!! (Oswego...Toronto too) Did you happen to see two dudes, one being the disco cowboy, a friend of mine from San Francisco, and the other being a tall fellow with bright red pants and perhaps an alien mask? I was the dude with the mask on...the cowboy and I were having a lightsabre dule while the DJ was going off. The comboy was using a white bladed lightsabre and mine was blue bladed.........

Giggles grin.gif" border="0grin.gif" border="0grin.gif" border="0

Saw this thread and had to bite. My first show was The Palace of Auburn Hills 12.6.97. I had been listening to Phish for about 3 years while smoking the kind at a friend's place and was pretty familiar with their tunes. But wow...that first show kicked my ass like nothing else. The first set was fantastic with Antelope, Maze a Gin.

But it was the second set that the funk kicked in and my life was changed. Tweezer>Izabella>Twist>Piper!!!! Wow and wow. That was the highest I have ever felt without the use of drugs. A few weeks later I was driving to NYC to catch part of the New Years run. Most of my vacations, New Years plans and much of my waking moments have revolved around the band. Too much fun travelling coast to coast, north and south, meeting so many great people along the way. Damn I miss the boys. There are tons of great bands out there today and the "scene" has never been stronger...but I really miss Phish. I hope that they come back after hiatus energized and enthused to play the music we all love...Can't wait to see what new directions they will be exploring.

Those were good shows, weren't they?

quote:

Originally posted by Schwa:

Oh ya, i forgot to tell yous about my first show. it was actually with backbacon. we trucked down to cleveland to see em 11-13-98. blown away by the chalkdust opener and have never ooked back.

Hey Giggles, just like in your profile, it's a bit fuzzy, I'll let you know. It was funny watching Fishman though, every once in a while somebody would recognize him and freak out a bit, and he would blow them off. Oh, and Tenenbaum, yeah, the glowstick war at the Went was tremendously tremendous. I think Trey's words were "hey chris, lets turn down the lights and all trip out to the moon together". Something like that. Oh, the memories.

I didnt see one bloody second of that glowstick war.EVERYONE of my friends was going off about it and then someone asked me what I thought. Treyter and the Wackamole were right in the middle of it 10ish rows back from the stage.

"Well?"

Booche: I didnt see them

"WHAT DO YOU MEAN?

Booche: I was lying on the airstrip, tripping on the moon and stars.

OK, sorry about the failed attempt.

Let's try this again...

I can't remember the first Phish tune I heard. A friend had been playing some of their stuff and it sounded pretty cool. One night I borrowed A Live One, and that was it. As soon as I heard Stash I was hooked. I couldn't believe what these guys were doing. I had been listening to a lot of jazz, but this was something totally different.

First show: Above mentioned friend mentioned that Phish were playing in upstate NY. He had been to 70 shows or so by then, but hadn't been in a few years. Well, a group of us newbies decided to tag along to see what the live experince would be like. We arrived in Plattsburg on the thursday night only to find a huge line of cars waiting to get into the Clifford Ball grounds. Well, being from the east coast, I had never witnessed anything quite like this. And the music hadn't even started yet!

Needless to say, the Ball was one hell of a way to be initiated into the whole scene. To this day (after 20 or so shows) it is still my favorite memory (and there are plenty).

...in a van...somewhere 'round some provicial park..or Peterborough....the driver..some guy named Mike was playing Rift..loved it.then...Metroppolis,Montreal was my first...if memory serves me right(and it often does not)I think it was the last tour of the dead and I may be telescoping time but I think it was the last Dead tour..I remember because I had gone to the dead in Highgate and had been realy bothered by the crowds,the punkasses,the sound was pretty weak...Jerry was going down..the scene was going down....then I went to see Phish in Montreal....mind blowing,life altering..well you all know....and yeah Bradm I caught that show in Ottawa...I still can't beleive they played here....weird and wicked shit!Yahoo!.. grin.gif" border="0

THe tow shows i saw for the first time kicked my ass. I'm extremely happy to see the response from such a post. It helps to bond the fellowship i think. The cincinnati show is a must for those who don't have it. And as for the glowstick war in cleveland..........WOW! i've never seen one quite like it before and i doubt i ever will again. i think some of the heads on the floor had boxes of those things because during Hood there seemed to be MILLIONS of them. In cinci, Fishman went to all corners of the stage and goaded the crowd by throwing his hands in the air. He actually looked like he was going to pull his dress up and flash the crowd. Memories are blurred between the two though because i had a giant bag of shrooms that i basically lived on those two days. the guy who drove me, WADE!!, haad the bag and we overindulged to say the least. Funky Bitch and My Soul to open the show. Another funny thing about Cincinnati......When me and my three pals got to the show, we went to what we thought were our seats and we found people in them. so we confronted the people and after showing them our stubs, we convinced them that they were actually in our seats. they were very nice about it and left. i was very fucked up but was not sure if the seats we were in were ours. one of the guys came back that we had kicked out for another try and we again showd him that the seats were ours. so he grabbed his girls purse for her and took off again. at set break i looked at me ticket stub in the light this time and what do you know..... the seats were his!!! HAHAHA. we eventually went to our proper seats and they were better than the first ones (much closer behind Page to the right) fun fun fun. i couldnt stop singing phish songs for three weeks after that or wipe the smile off of my face. good times had by all.

Again, thanks you everyone for the massive respose to the post. wink.gif" border="0