Jambands.ca

biggest bear!

backbacon

yeah, I was out in the bush, wandering around in cammo gear with a loaded gun in hand (and a camera handy), when I happened across a bear (surprise surprise) and had to shoot it in self defence. I then posted the pictures on a hunting photo page, but it wasn't actually a bear I was hunting...

uh, ok.

Yeah, peculiar. I think what happened was he was hunting, perhaps he would have killed the bear anyway, but before he knew it, the bear was atatcking him and as a result, he killed the bear 'in self-defense'. If the bear had not attacked him, it would not have been killed in self defense. It just would have been killed like all the other bears.

well im glad im not the only one who thinks this is a little fishy. imho hunting is something that in the 18th, 19th centuries was an important skill, necessary for survival etc etc... but nowadays with the declining wildlife population it is just sad.

if you like hunting, good for you, but the idea of shooting something while it is just eating grass or hanging out with other bears, elk etc etc is just not something i can promote.

ah a hunting debate - i dont know enough yet to make an informed decision, cuz i do believe that we've screwed up the balance of nature so much that the preditor to prey ratio is so totally fucked....

i dont think i ever believe in killing bear - deer on the other hand...i dunno - there are just a damn lot of deer...

The Grammar Police?? That's rich. Oh, I think everyone who's reading this thread should take a peek at one of the foremost advocates of hunting- the Nuge meister himself:

www.tnugent.com

With such inspiring messages as:

"Win a FREE hunt with Ted Nugent!"

"Pig killers unite!"

"It is obvious as hell that my gravity defying career & energy come from not just the ultrachow venison for my belly, but far more importantly, the dynamo protein I derive from each step beyond the pavement for my soul."

Wow....

I definately agree with H, apparently the deer population here in the Ottawa/Carleton region is getting ridiculous, (plus I love to eat venison, please don`t hate me...) but killing a bear is just wrong! Unless it is definately life threatening, now if this guy was out hunting deer and the bear attacked, I can understand!

Yes in Ottawa-Carleton there are a lot of deer. In fact, there are deer that regularly sleep in the field next to my home in Westboro (in the city).

We have to realize that we push their numbers into increasingly smaller areas. Maybe there aren't more deer, just more deer in a smaller space, ie. the wild.

p.s. there are a lot of rabbits near my place, too. I like rabbits.

p.p.s. back to the bear, I find it hard to believe that a hunter was out walking/hunting, saw that bear and could have not killed it. Don't most hunters look for trophys?