Jambands.ca

March Break Dilemna

scottieking

So I'm enlisting help from fellow Santurians here looking to kill some time today. The situation:

For those of you that don't know, I'm a high school teacher. So I had this kid in my office the other day and he spots the Phish sticker on my bulletin board and says (and trust me, I've been waiting for a student to say this to me for 2 years now) "hey, I'm just starting to get into those guys" Currently owns most of the catalogue included a live one. Right before march break throws me a single blank disc and says "Could you make a disc of songs I don't have?" How could I say no?

So...here it is nearing the end of my break and I'm going to start making it. But where to start. Here's where you come in. Make your suggestions (keep in mind you can suggest a specific version but whether I have it or not is the key) All I know is he's getting a PYITE to start it all off, you go from there.

HAVE FUN!

Hey Man,

I have a nephew who is 15 and is just starting to "get" the whole Phish thing. He's always after me to make him a mixed tape but I prefer to give him whole shows. It's kind of a way to let songs that you might not like at first grow on you. I know it took me a while to warm up to a lot of the phish eccentricities which I now love dearly.

I always play a newbie a killer YEM, may I suggest the one with Santana from 7.25.92. Throw on the Llama and the Funky Bitch as well. I usually try to include a Gamehenge tune or two as well so go for the AC/DC Bag from Boise, 9.14.99 or the one to open set II 8.9.98. Any version of Cavern with horns is always a good thing.

And of course ya gots to throw in some funk...I'm thinking fall 97...the palace, 12.6.97...Tweezer>Izabella. Throwing on a ASZ is always cool to cuz the newbies recognize the theme but the groove is new to them

If you have 11.22.97 i feel you really owe it to the kid to burn him a copy of the whole show. you gotta pass the funk on to the next generation.

Hope this gives you a few ideas

Hey ScottieKing,

Great to hear there are some more phriendly teachers out there. I've got 6 more weeks at Acadia U till I have my B.Ed. Any ideas for Phish oriented lesson plans? A buddy of mine read and played Gamehenge for a group of grade 5's (they went nuts, loved it).

As for your dilemma, you might want to spook him out a bit, its gonna happen sooner or later. So I'd say the Mikes from Big Cypress, seriously freaky! I always like to play covers of tunes that people already know. I love to show how the boys can take a tune and play it way better than the original. Let's stick with Cypress, maybee After Midnight. Have fun. grin.gif" border="0

the hooky stuff to begin with - Y.E.M., Fee, Golgi Apparatus, Bouncin', Free, Punch You In The Eye, First Tube, Suzie G. - then go in for the kill with a sick live Possum, Taste, Guyute, and the most disgusting Split Open & Melt you can find...

I feel like a drug dealer working out a marketing plan.