Jambands.ca

Speaking of raw phish and sticky rice ...

arcane

... Are there any decent Japanese restaurants in Ottawa? I'm sick of pizza (for now) and I'd really like a plateful of *different* food groups I can't identify and have to eat with sticks (oh yeah, hilarity ensues ...).

I am waaay too omnivorous. Wait a month, then I'll be going ape looking for the ultimate molé sauce or deep fried ice cream or sauerkraut perogies or something. Gah.

hmmm....Japanese?..well I can tell you about a few places that I consider the some of the BEST darn chow in town...Asian...but not Japanese...unless So Good is Japanese..SO GOOD...eat So GOOD..order Woo Se vegies or if you eat chicken,Woo se chicken is probably good too,the spicey,tingly tofu,the eggplant dish at the end of the menue(written in pen) is super fine,sweet heart eggplant is good if there are 3-4 of you at the table,Buddahs delight....most importantly is the Woo se vegtable....mmmmmmm...excellent prices too.Spend more for atmosphere and you can go to Shanghai and on a thursday a dude will spin tunes while you eat and look at art. vegi dumplings at the Northern 2 WITH peanut sauce are great for takeout(w/rice)very cheap. Siam kitchen(thai) is realy good.I don't think any of this is Japanese...doh..but eat at So Good....its realy good. :hope this helps the tummy out..

theres no real sushi in town in my opinion. if you can find some reasonable facsimilies (basic california rolls, tuna etc) but it will break your bank account -

there's the japanese villiage but i've never had their sushi..

Japanese Village 170 Laurier Ave W tel: (613) 236-9519]

But there is a place on Slater that i can't remember the name of where i have had their sushi years ago and it was pretty good... i can't remember the name of it though, it has a waterfall out front - maybe something with gardens... i'd go there first - right behind als not here...

Suisha Gardens Japanese Restaurant 208 SLATER ST tel: (613) 236-9602

I have to agree that I haven't had any high quality sushi in Ottawa but then again I haven't blown a lot of time or money searching for the best in town. Most of the sushi I have had has been pretty generic so as far as that goes I've been sticking to the Sushi Zone in the Byward Market. It's not bad, fresh, fairly cheap, but not very original and no atmosphere to speak of. Still it helps feed the sushi jones I sometimes get.

I'm with howler on this one...So good!! yee-haw, you will be craving it after one meal. On the other hand, I am, and always will be, 100% loyal to the golden turtle (again not japanese, but vietnamese) Incredible though!! Huge big bowls of goodies on a bed of noodles mmmmmmm. (near somerset on booth. 10 thumbs up!

Guest Low Roller

I recently tried a place called Festival Japan. It's really good, and you can pretty much order any type of sushi you want. I tried sea urchin (tasty), eel (VERY tasty), and all the basics (tuna, salmon, yellowtail, shrimp). It was a culinary nirvana. If sushi ain't your thing, they have many other tasty dishes. Their miso soup is excellent.

Festival Japan 149 Kent str. 234-1224

Go to So Good......eat anything.

I was there for the first time on the weekend and I had a pad thai and vegetable dumplings. Blows anything I've had in the last 5.5 weeks out of the water. I spent the rest of the day trying to figure out how I was going to get more of the same food without leaving my house.

I wasn't very successful.

Festival Japan is actually quite good. I've eaten there several times since we moved to Ottawa last summer. Suisha Gardens is good, but not as good as festival Japan. It's a bit cheaper with larger pieces of suchi, but given the choice I'd pick Festival Japan. I end up at Suisha quite a bit for lunch as my office is at Slater and Metcalfe. Another good place is Bento Sushi which is a tiny take out place (although they have a few tables) on Rideau, just before the bridge when it turns into Montreal, in between Mukut Indian restaurant (also quite good) and Smoke Signals (a head shop).

...you can get pretty good suchi in Ottawa. spend a year in Omaha before complaining about bad suchi. Ottawa is an awesome restaurant town actually.

New question kids...where do i find the dankest dim sum? I freaking love the shit! In Toronto it is so damn cheap that i feel like I can't afford to not eat it at least once a week. Any suggestions would be more then welcome.

Damn this food talk is making me hungry.

I am in for So Good just about any time..I can crawl there from our pad....I would recomend reservations for a group...I have been shut out before...and that felt baaaaad frown.gif" border="0 .I've yet to try the Pad Thai...you say it was good 'Sparegus?..mmmm....I want So Good now and I'm stuck in the middle of Crapola land.....mmmm SooooGOOOOD.mmm Woo Se vegiestables tongue.gif" border="0

I'll have to check out So Good sometime very soon.

I've been doing the Sushi Zone thing, and yes, it's fast and decent enough, but not adventurous. Lately I've been getting sushi from Bento--on Rideau near the Vanier Parkway--but the location is a bit of bitch to get to from work and home.

My companion last Saturday is much better judge of sushi that I am, and he deemed Bento quite reasonable for fast-food sushi. In particular, he noted the salad that comes with the meal for two (and four, I believe). It's a garden salad with bits of fish and nori, served with a ginger and rice vinegar dressing (sweet and tangy).

Me, I thought the fare was tastier and significantly more varied than that at Sushi Zone, but the range of items is still in line with a fast-food place (that is, you'd get more variety at an expensive restaurant). I really enjoyed the smoked eel, and the salmon sashimi was decently fresh. No nori on the California rolls, but I think I prefer Bento's sprinkling of sesame seed coating. I think they put cucumber in them, too.

All in all, I'll be back there more often than my schedule will allow :>

I don't know much about Dim Sum. I've had it at the Yangtze on Somerset. It's good, but I understand that it's pricey (I have nothing to compare it to, really, since I haven't done Dim Sum enough). The regular menu is *large* and the food is of reasonable quality, but I think I'm more wowed by the novelty factor of some of the dishes. Salted octopus? Sure, I'll try that ...

Thai: The Chaophraya on Carling is very nice. Anyone been to the Sweet Basil on Bank?