Jambands.ca

Trivia Time!

AD

To keep in line with all these contest going on here, I'm gonna try and post an interesting music trivia question every night (but maybe not cuz I keep falling asleep on the couch.) I have no fabulous prizes to offer, but hey, you might learn something, and isn't that the best prize of all?

Here's question #1.

What's the story behind the synthesizer tones at the beginning of The Who's 'Baba O'Reilly'?

ad

One of the best albums of all time. Search for the answer folks before Jaimoe gets on here.

It gives me love, power, hope, good sensations

"Teenage Wasteland" - the best therapy in this fucking world...........and I havent been a teenager since 87. Ok, ok ok. I Am A Child.

"THEY'RE ALL WASTED!"

Anyone else ever see that > Tomorrow Never Knows?

Great contest AD.

It's done with a synth. Townshend lifted the synth beginning from his own demo and used it to create The Who's: " Baba O'Reilly " - you can hear various versions of " Baba " on on Townshend's " Psychoderelict " album - listed as " Meher Baba M3 ", " M4 " and " M5 ". Note: the beginnings of " Won't Get Fooled Again " and " Bargain " are done the same way - using Townshend-sampled synth recordings.

Hey AD. Buy and/or watch: " The Making of Who's Next " video/DVD: Who's Next. It's also part of the Classic Albums program on VH1 and MuchMoreMusic. You ask: " ...why the melody is the way it is "? I think you'd have to ask Townshend for that answer. I know it's part of a longer piece - I know that he looped the original synth recording. You can see Townshend on: " The Making of Who's Next " playing the same synth and listening to the original master demo tapes. It's a great documentary of one of the finest albums of them all.

Alright, it seems like this question was poorly worded, so here's the answer I have

Pete Townshend - "This was a number I wrote while I was doing these experiments with tapes on the synthesizer. Among my plans was to take a person out of the audience and feed information - height, weight, autobiographical details - about the person into the synthesizer. The synthesizer would then select notes from the pattern of that person. It would be like translating a person into music. On this particular track I programmed details about the life of Meher Baba and that provided the backing for the number."

Question #2 to come tomorrow. I'll phrase it better.

ad

All the songs off " Who's Next " and most of them from " Odds & Sodds " were part of Townshend's failed conceptual album: Lifefhouse. I think you know this AD. A great lost Who song like " Mary " was accidently destroyed in a fire - it would have been a great Who's Next classic. Instead, you can find a demo version on Townshend's "Scoop" album. Highly recommended.