Jambands.ca

Favorite Grateful Dead shows?

Guest Low Roller

Guest Low Roller

So anyways, I'm just getting to know the Grateful Dead, and I need some suggestions where to start.

What are their best shows? Albums?

Its best I dont field this question, I could go on for days, and you do want me to stop at some point dont you?

Ah fug it, maybe I should start by asking you a question. What means will you be using to build your Dead collection?

Since Bouche has recently discovered the power of 05-08-77, start with that if you can find it. www.gdlive.com has a copy I believe.....

I also recommend grabbing some Phil and Friends dated 10-XX-00 and on.

WHOA, I almost forgot, Live Dead, single cd that will knock you on your boo-boo. Its one of my 5 desert island discs. Any of the Dicks Picks series will do you wonders as well. Check your local CD Store.

In my opinion, these are some years to hit:

69 - my favorite year. Check out any St Stephen > Eleven shows. There are some killer multi track recordings out there from this year. Check out "Two From the Vault" for an album choice depicting this.

Europe 72 shows - They also released an album "Europe 72" which is also worth checking out. also, the classic veneta oregan show from 8/27/72 is VERY nice.

75 - Well, they only played like 4 or 5 gigs. I believe there is a Dicks Picks from one of these. This is a transitional period from which they took a touring break and did "Blues For Allah" studio album.

77 - The show Booche mentioned. Also, 2/26/77; first Terrapin and first Estimated Prophet.

I havn't delved into the 80's or 90's that much yet. Lots of nice recordings from those years. I would recommend the 10/31/91 show however. Bill Graham had died shortly before this show was played and Ken Kesey had a CRAZY rant about that during the Darkstar. Good show, worth hearing just for the rant.

Hope this helps a little!

5.8.77 blows me away as much as the day I first heard it about 6 years ago...it's simply perfect, that Jackstraw.....phew..

some other recommendations..(from a GD post-1975 junkie)

12.28.79 smokin' early Brent show

5.6.81 (Dick's Picks 13)

7.18.89 Alpine Valley

6.17.91 nice 90's show with Hornsby

Guest Low Roller

Wow! Look at all these suggestions. Holy shit, I guess my computer will get a nice work-out this week-end.

So all signs seem to be pointing to 05-08-77. The masses have spoken.

Out of curiosity, does anybody know if the Dead played on Jan. 20 1977? If they played on the day I was born, then I think it would be rather poetic (pathetic?) that I listen to that show first.

Does anyone have the 2/26/77 show. IT looks great!

Your first birthday show, Low Roller, was:

01/20/79 Shea's Buffalo Theater - Buffalo, NY

Set 1: Promised Land, Sugaree, El Paso, Peggy-O, It's All Over Now, Jack A Roe, Minglewood Blues, Stagger Lee, Jack Straw

Set 2: I Need A Miracle > Bertha, Good Lovin', Loser, Estimated Prophet > The Other One > Drums > The Other One > Dark Star > Not Fade Away > Sugar Magnolia, E: One More Saturday Night