Jambands.ca

Junos

h

just opening up a topic cuz there ain't much going on today but...

anybody watch any junos at all last night?

i flipped it in and out it was in st. johns nfld for the 1st time... the performances weren't much to mention, but the bnl's did a nice job hosting, and the daniel lanois and the promoter guy tributes were good.

keith richard is really looking old now though, obviously he's always looked like a skeleton, but now he looks 95 too.

I watched a bit. I agree that bnl did a good job hosting. when they went into the crowd and played songs to the people who wrote them, that was good. Especailly when they played for Nelly - (bnl buddy on accordian - while sitting next to Nelly): "I'm like a bird, I only fly away, I don't know where my eggs are; I don't know where my nest is." I laughed.

The worst performance: Amanda Marshall. That was just aweful.

ah... yur just jealous - they're very nice boys and they are tight with what they do and they dont play dance music, so i like them. (i go by personality sometimes) wink.gif" border="0

i thought the absolute worst performance was sum41 - that was awe inspiringly BAD ! - but then people kept saying that they rocked - so maybe it was better in the stadium? i dunno cuz that was the worst offkey loose greenday impersonation i've ever seen - and rundmc should come kick their asses for trying to steal their style too. --> the iron maiden at the end was unrecognizable noize just ridiculous

Anyway that performance was followed very closely by amanda marshall, but i didnt' expect anything from her... shes such a self centered hairhead... so her sucking that badly was expected.

For me, the highlights were:

Barenaked Ladies. I knew it would be worth tuning in just to see these guys host, and they didn't let me down. It was funny that with them being perhaps the biggest stars there (behind Shaggy maybe?), they were the most humble and down to earth. Good for them! "Look at me! I'm drumming on my own mind!" Fucking laughed my ass off. Kudos too on their improv lines going in and out of commercials: "I can't believe/ how many times/ Nelly Furtado/ said "shit" in that song!...."

Daniel Lanois. He delivered the best speech ever. Instead of a bloated, sappy, embarrassing speech that all the other winners delivered, he just sang a beautiful, beautiful song. Again, good for him! (And he's from my area, which made me proud)

grin.gif" border="0grin.gif" border="0grin.gif" border="0

Lowlights:

Mike Bullard and Sheila Copps presenting an award. Absolutely fucking awful, embarrassing, self-indulgent claptrap delivered by two mental midgets on a shrimp-tray binge. I wanted to barf. At least they found each other, they deserve each other anyway.

Nelly Furtado. Make another album, Nelly, before your head totally explodes. And make sure it's better than your last one, otherwise the game is up. Shouldn't be a problem because you're just so scary talented. Thanks, Nelly. Say hi to Elton for me. You fucking twit.

mad.gif" border="0mad.gif" border="0mad.gif" border="0

Just looking at Diana Krall's arrogant/smug face made me violently ill. She's the Kenny G of vocal jazz, although Kenny writes his own songs. Amanda Marshall and Nelly Furtado competed well with Diana Krall in the " Most Obnoxious " category. How long could Creed... I mean Nickleback stretch-out their god-awful/boring song anyway?

Okay, most people who diss BNL WISH they had half the talent those boys do. Not only are they witty and talented (talent does exist outside the jamband scene, I hate to burst bubbles here), but they are SUPER nice guys. I went to the same high school as three of them. Nice, nice, nice. If they posted on the Sanc and you got to know them, you would absolutely adore them and break the nose of any ney sayers. Imagine being around a campfire with those dudes. Riot I'm sure!

It drives me f*cking bananas to listen to people judge the talent of others. Especially when they themselves possess very little.

Rant over.

I'm not sorry...

I'm sure Mike Bullard is a nice guy too.... but he still sucks

H.... if you thought Amanda Marshal sucked, so be it, don't be bullied out of your opinion which is as valid as anyone's.... regardless of how talented you are

I have heard you trash your fair share of talented people Ms Hux..... but I guess that is OK because you have so much.... wink.gif" border="0

I just wanted to take this opportunity to tell everyone how much I have a burning and passionate hatred for Nickelback. I can't believe these guys won awards. They are HORRIBLE!!!

I like Diana Krall. It's nice relaxing music.. yeah.. maybe she's sellin out, but..meh.. I still enjoy the music.. smile.gif" border="0

I didn't even know the juno's were on last night... doh.

Cheers..

Sarah

honestly dudes, you guys shouldnt' have even thought of watching the junos. you think too differently about music than the industry for you to enjoy it. sure you hate all the music and you know why but people like music for different reasons altogether than you most of the time and you've got to realize that they deserve to enjoy music just as much(well i doubt that's true) as the rest of us.

the masses don't understand the music we like and likely never will. i'm happy they have crappy music because if they didn't they'd infiltrate ours and make it a big pile of lot trash at shows. don't forget about that guys and gals. I like diana krall's voice and talent but i don't think she deserves the notoriety she gets. she likely bosses her dude around but he probably likes it.

i've met jim and andy creeggan and although i don't like BNL i love the bros. creeggan...totally awesome songwriting and talent live. among my fave shows. i had dinner with the guys while i interviewed them for the radio...i think the highlight of the night if i were to watch it would be the jack richardson award for best producer. jack's my teacher and he's a super dude. his sin is gggarth, produced the first rage album, mother's milk(rhcp) among many others(kittie and a whole load of other alternative bands) the popular music field is pretty economically driven and we're not popular consumers so please don't try to think that you or anyone here would get much good out of the junos...understand that nobody including you liked them...if it was so bad why didn't you just change the channel?? there's no hope as of yet for good music to be on prime time television.

I have a furthur show from i believe 96 or something w/ ben harper, blues traveller and BNL and a bunch of others.

Anyways, those boys can JAM. I have like an eight minute "million dollars" and other jammed out BNL originals. John Popper plays with them for most the show, as does Ben harper.

Lemme tell you, those guys are not SHIT. I believe they are less of a corporate sell out then DMB. At least they played their "popier" stuff for their own reasons. I still believe dave does it for the money.

Anyways, BNL are good, in my books anyways.

peace

Now I feel bad. H, that rant certainly wasn't directed at you hun. The reason I love this group of guys and dolls is that we all claim to have such open minds, especially when it comes to music. Who are better advocates for "Don't judge a band on their appearance, marketability or albums. Judge them on live shows and talent" then us? Some people disappoint me...jumping to such harsh (and in my opinion) completely narrow-minded conclusions.

It would be idiotic to say someone "SUCKS" because they don't fit into the the narrow slot of what YOU like. Yes, yes, yes, we all know that jazzy, funky, trippy, jammy instrumental based music is what most of us are about here. We all know that tall, slender, clear skin, and so on account for what most people find attractive. Do people automatically suck if they don't play what we like? I doubt that. Do people automatically suck because they look a certain way? I think you all would agree that they don't. I think some are being a bit judgemental, an attitude that I find particularily sucky.

well a couple of things A) thanks doubleb, i appreciate that i really do, but i wasn't being bullied out of my opinion, that sum41 performance is burned in my skull for at least another week.

I have reconsidered though and decided that i will try to refrain from being so harsh out loud in the future.

cuz B) i agree pretty much with ms hux. (this is totally not directed at you doubleb) but it almost hurts my feelings when someone comes out so meanly about somebody i might like or even if i dont like them, it does tend to sound kind of ignorant when people snap out and just say that someone sucks on whole.

i know i've defended people/groups that i dont even really like in at least 2 incidents on this board because people were being so harsh.

furthermore -- i have noticed (and mentioned this to bouche on more than one occassion in the last couple of years) that sometimes it seems to me to be almost a part of your culture to lash out at other types of music. i dont know if its jam culture in general, i'm new to it.

I'm not trying to insult anyone here, and maybe you'll think i'm a crazy bitch for saying so. but it happens all the time. somebody says "that band sucks" and 10 people agree and discuss for a while just how much and why they suck. - it's not that bad a thing to do i guess, but it's just a bit of a negative atmosphere...

(ive seen people one year say something sucks vehemently and then show up the next year saying their great cuz they've discovered later that somebody they know actually found them cool)

so damn... i doubt its everyone who jumps on the suck wagon, and everybody is prone to it once in a while for sure - i did it above, sure. but i thought i'd point it out as a point to think about. something to make you go hmm, i can see that, or hmmm, nope, i dont see that at all...

grin.gif" border="0

and being that i have thought this in the past i should try to shut up when i see somebody sucking or at least not judge them so wholly.

this has been a public service announcement from the church of laterday saints.

Its pretty darn harsh to say someone "sucks", unless they do. There are a TON of bands I dont get or they arent right for me, but I dont know if I could say they sucked. I certainly dont think it is fair that some bands receive more exposure than they deserve, but that comes with the territory.

Who gains when a person thinks a band sucks? No one. Who loses when a person thinks a band sucks? The person that thinks they suck.

I dont understand the constant 7726.jpg that I see all the time regarding "Jambands" and I cant wait for it to end, even though it wont.......

First off.... I say more positive shit about more people and more bands than most on this board...

Second.... I never said BNL sucked.... I just wished death on them.

Third.... If this board was just a big love in all the time it would be boring as hell.....(it might even suck) You are allowed to have an opinion, you are allowed to voice it as strongly as you want, and you are allowed to change your mind.... I don't want anyone feeling gun shy about posting their opinions... call it like it is .... I will support you even if I don't agree.

The only thing that drives me more crazy than the "it's all good" argument is the one that says only those "with talent" may sit in judgement. How smug.

I'm sorry to hear that you're going to tone down your opinions, h. I read your original post and it made me smile. Even if I didn't agree with it, it's still just supposed to be fairly light-hearted armchair commentary anyway, isn't it? But some people have this idea that we should equate civility with being non-opinionated. What a shame.

It's ok to think things suck. It's ok to say so. It sucks to think that everything is good. It's good to be a discriminating listener.

Just my $.02. No apologies for expressing my opinions.

Allanis Moreshit sucks the mostest...and if I ever meet her I would like very much to tell her that there is no ironic situations going on in her 'isn't it ironic' song. Not one of the situations she says are ironic are ironic.(just being a trouble start today) It is true I can't play music but I know what I like. I can paint yet I still think a non-artist can look at my work and think it sucks or doesn't suck.

Come on - A Spade is a Spade.

Of coarse we should all think for ourselves. When I first began really diggin Phish plenty of people I knew said they sucked - still went..Dead tour was filled w/stickers that said friends don't let friends do Phish..and recently everyone I knew raved and raved about BNB.....and I still didn't go after going a few times. My mind has a mind of its own. Freedom of speech is cool. grin.gif" border="0