Jambands.ca

what makes a canadian

show---whore

Living in igloo's, travelling via dogsled, saying "eh" at the end of every sentence, listening to Anne Murray, knowing that guy from Regina with brown hair and then giving an equal exchange rate for Canadian Tire money for anyone who believes that.

Only being pstriotic when you leave because everyone thinks your american.

I've only started admitting to being lately.

Anywhere I went people would ask me where I'm from and I'd say Newfoundland... No one knew where that was, So I started saying Canada, then I get oh my sister lives in BC or something like that.

For me being candadian means being culturally diverse!!!

i think that living in montreal, id rather be canadian than american. so when people ask where im from, ive started referring to myself as from montreal rather than from hartford, ct. i mean who the hell wants to come from there anyways? canada, home of best beer, best weed, best hockey. go habs go!

spencer

The one definition I heard is that a Canadian is someone who can make love in a canoe*.

A good book on the subject is "Why I Hate Canadians" by Will Ferguson. He went through Katimavik ("I Was A Teenage Katima-victim" is also good), spent a lot of time overseas (in Japan; "Hokkaido Highway Blues" recounts his hitch-hiking trip from the Southern tip of Japan to the Northern tip), and has a lot of insight.

Me, I'm torn between the idea that Canadians don't have an identity (because we spend half our time telling the Americans we're not British, and the other half telling the British we're not American, and so don't have any time to develop an identity), and that we're poorly-armed Americans with public health care and better mass-market beer.

Aloha,

Brad

* Q: Why is American beer like making love in a canoe? A: Because it's fucking close to water...

quote:

Originally posted by bradm:

...and attempting to pass it off to sales clerks in the Southern U.S.A..."Him? That's Sir John A. MacDonald, our first Prime Minister..."

OH yeah. That's one of the better joys in life. That, and watching Americans get wasted on Brador. And watching them bite loonies, looking for the chocolate.

I think being canadian is like rick mercer's talking to americans.

we're kind, frank, and polite but totally know how to go up to someone tell them they're an idiot to their face and keep ours straight while they try to figure out if they have any clue what we're talking aboot.

i din't think it's because americans are stupid...if people are clueless they're gonna agree to almost anything - it's just americans want to look like they're special and if they're not feeling like that they want to seem like they're knowledgeable just to save face. that's my view on rick mercer...he's just a charismatic guy that people trust. plus, he's got that fine canadian accent...aah easterners!