Jambands.ca

New to Nero: what would YOU do??

MarcO

So, as some of you may have caught from an earlier thread, I have only heard of Nero, never heard or seen 'em. I have obviously been wondering about them for quite some time now. Yesterday, the mailman delivered one of their shows to me, courtesy of the magnificient and beautiful Harpua of this board. On Friday, karma willing, I will be attending their show in Toronto. So, what would YOU do?

a) listen to the show Harpua sent me to get acquainted for the show on Friday

B) hide the show away until Saturday and go to Toronto on Friday having still never heard them

I'm confused..... confused.gif" border="0

I know I always have a problem when I see a band without having heard their music beforehand: because I don't have any reference points, I have a tough time remembering the music. This is possibly more true with improvisational and instrumental acts, because you don't have things like lyrics, repeated choruses, and structured verses to stick in your mind.

My advice is to listen to the show first. I hadn't heard Nero before I saw them the first time, but the little bit I remember has been reinforced by the number of other shows I've been to over the last few months (and the number of times I've listened to "is it morning?" which is on even as I type :-). With Nero off for a western tour, I'm not sure you're going to get a chance to see them again for a while, so you want the music as drilled into your brain as much as possible.

And don't worry about not being able to be astounded by the revelatory nature of seeing the music for the first time: the nice thing about Nero is that every show is different, *every* show is a revelation.

Enjoy,

Brad

Man, I need a good editor...CatPhish said in fewer than 20 words what it took me three paragraphs to get across.

Look, the music is there to be enjoyed, and the CDs will feel unfulfilled if you just leave them sitting there. Play the discs, and think of it as your own private Nero show (or better yet, invite some friends over and share the joy).

The discs will also give you a feel for the *form* of the show (the textures, the segues, the sounds, the grooves), which will, I think, help you enjoy it a lot more.

Aloha,

Brad

Clear a good hour+ of your time. No distractions!!! Smoke a fattie, fat, fat and enjoy the CD. The first time I saw nero, I hadn't heard any of their music. I admit to being a bit distracted by Lauzon's fancy footwork on the pedals, fancy finger work on the strings, I wondered what was under Jay's hat, was drawn to Shane's stage presence and smile.... the music is so trippy that my mind wandered so much!

BUT DO NOT MISS THE SHOW!!! That is indeed where the magic happens. Once you see one, you will never miss another one unless surgury is involved.

Put down a towel, 'cause your cherry is going to POP!!! Congratulations.

The first time I saw nero I had never heard them before and ended up spending the whole night just standing there going "Wow what the fuck is going on?" (Of course on this night I was with a bunch of people who had seen nero plenty of times and they pretty much had the same reaction so I really don't know what to tell you).

quote:

Originally posted by MarcO:

B)

hide the show away until Saturday and go to Toronto on Friday having still never heard them

The results so far:

5 people in favour of a)

3 people in favour of B)

1 person undecided

also of note:

1 person mentioned me "popping my cherry" eek: shocked.gif" border="0

1 person suggesting I date Harpua frown.gif" border="0frown.gif" border="0

Tell you what, I won't have a chance to listen or not listen until tomorrow (Wed) evening. I'll let this run through until the end of the work day tomorrow and I'll let you know what happens.

Thanks for helping!

As the ultimate in Sanctuary newbies, my take on the situation is to go to that show without listening to the CD. You will be hopelessy unprepared, as I was, but you will be knocked off of yer freakin' feet... then you'll get back up on 'em and groove.

Take it from me - a skinny white boy with little rhythm and no dance in his shoes - I was lovin' every note

shocked.gif" border="0wink.gif" border="0

First time I saw/heard Nero, I had no idea what to expect.....buddy said "check these guys out, their pretty talented". Checked 'em out and was floored...been checkin' 'em out ever since. Had I had a C.D. I definately would have given her a listen. Somehow I won a C.D. at that show.....can't recall what I had to do...probably knocked people over and stole it!

Have a great time however you end up approaching it!!!!!!! grin.gif" border="0grin.gif" border="0grin.gif" border="0grin.gif" border="0

I'd say do not listen to the discs. That way, when you see them and you hear that amamzing guitar tone for the first time it'll hit your soul so nicely. Nothing like the very first time hearing something like you've never heard.

Yeah, save that experience for the show.

Nero = Instant smiles!

smile.gif" border="0smile.gif" border="0smile.gif" border="0smile.gif" border="0smile.gif" border="0smile.gif" border="0smile.gif" border="0

"Hey Steve, Come check out this band called....ummm...phish. They are playing on the 20th in toronto. I think you'll like em."

ummmm, i did.

Same deal marc. (bet you got excited, almost said new deal, hehehehe) Put the cd's away. Check em out cold, thats how i saw nero the first time as well. unfortunately i was too buzzed out (damn n2o) to remember too much of it. So i'm pretty much a nero virgin as well.

See the show, i may go with you. Depends on how little T is feeling, she's not doin' too great right now.

I'll hook ya up with the Pre show materials if we go together on friday, then we'll be prepared.

quote:

Originally posted by MarcO:

B)

hide the show away until Saturday and go to Toronto on Friday having still never heard them

OK... here are new results:

5 people in favour of a)

6 people in favour of B)

and, of some note:

1 person concerned about my bodily fluids

1 person concerned about my love life

1 person "howling" and I appreciate that too!

Looks like I'll be holding off on listening unless the results change by 4:30pm today....

(this is fun!) grin.gif" border="0grin.gif" border="0grin.gif" border="0grin.gif" border="0grin.gif" border="0grin.gif" border="0

This is definitely one of those "put all yer eggs in one basket" situations. I think you should take that cd and destroy it dramatically (garberator, BB gun practice, burn it in a bucket of gas - just have fun!), then go to the show on Friday night and decide then whether or not they are worthy. If they are, buy a cd and listen to it. But definitely destroy the one you have now, it'll be better that way, trust me.

Thanks for playing folks. It was fun for me, at least. The results were close. Alas, it looks like my first taste of Nero shall be on Friday night. Thanks for all your suggestions regarding messy bouts of bleeding, destruction, nugs, booze, same-gender dating, howling and all that. You certainly are a bunch of twisted fucks.

(and I guess that's why I enjoy hanging out here!)

wink.gif" border="0wink.gif" border="0wink.gif" border="0

See you on Friday!

I'm a bit late as I've been elbows-up in a deep fryer for 10 hours, but my advice, and this is what I did (still have only caught'em once) is to go to their website and listen to just one of the songs they have available for download (I suggest the 401 Theme). That way, you'll know what general *kind* of sound to expect without ruining the secret and the surprise, and at the same time, if and when they play the one song you listen to, you'll be able to lose your shit cause you're hearing something rocking, out of this world and *familiar*. I've seen tons of great bands for the first time "cold" and despite the fantastic show they put on (as I would realize after hearing the tapes) I'd always get most excited about something I knew (case in point, the HUGE encore at the cheese's 2000 halloween show in Portland - Land's End(unfinished)>Walking on the Moon>Come Together>The Wedge>GET DOWN TONIGHT!! - did a whole night's worth of sweating in just one song!)

Whatever you do decide Marco, your socks will be blown off and your pants will be flung out the window in a fit of passion (for nero!!) "I'll never need those again!"

regards