Jambands.ca

Jerry Garcia Art Exhibit

zimmerman pt 2

today I went to visit the Garcia art exhibit here in London (uk). The strangest thing was the location: inside a posh restaraunt close to Parliament that caters to british politicians. Talk about me sticking out like a sore thumb. Some patrons were giving me dirty looks, probably because I was wearing jeans. shocked.gif" border="0shocked.gif" border="0 Give me a break, it's not like I was hitting the pipe while swirling around table to table trying to sell gooballs. rolleyes.gif" border="0

Anyway, there were aprox. 30 limited edition prints of his artwork scatered all over the restaraunt. I must say many of them had a profound effect on my psyche (one was entitled "Northern Lights" that produced this familiar feeling of being sucked into a parallel universe where Dark Star's the soundtrack). Another painting almost brought me to tears ( called "Reluctanct Dragon" that couldn't blow fire, yet the volcanoes behind him would erupt for him).

All the paintings were for sale too; the cheapest going for £600 (roughly $1200 cdn) and the most was £5000 (the Garcia/Grissman cover for Not for Kids Only).

overall good times (next week Scofield's in town, YAHOOOO grin.gif" border="0grin.gif" border="0grin.gif" border="0

Hey Zimm 2,

How are you liking London? What're you doing there? I was there all Fall and loved it. Theres so much going on all the time eh?? Every night, you can look in Time Out and find at least a few things worth checking out. Have you been to Jazz Cafe in Camden Town? They get tonsa wicked funk and soul gigs, and their Sunday Jazz Jam is also super good (only 1 pound to get in, its in the afternoon).

If you're into the funk, watch out in Time Out for I LOVE WAH WAH nights, they were my fav in town. (Tell the dj's or the pretty tall blonde at the door that Kevin from Canada sent ya wink.gif" border="0 ).

I checked out a Miles Davis original art exhibit while I was there, it was pretty crazy.

the restaurant was called the Footstool and was located at St John's Smith Square (close to the Tate Gallery and Westminister Parliament).

For the last month or so I've been chilling with my brother (who lives in Surrey with his wife and 3 little boys), so I've been spending some quality time with my nephews 'cause I hardly get to see them.

As for entertainment, London is surely the beacon of goods. A few weeks a go I caught a once in a lifetime jazz show with John Zorn, Marc Ribot, Trevor Dunn (bassist from Mr Bungle) and a few other key players. That night was stupendous!

Next week Scofield's playing at the jazz Cafe so I'm awfully stoked!

I'm here for one more week, then I'm off to Russia to do some humanitarian work shocked.gif" border="0 , so I'll keep an eye out for your recomendations Kev-o (thanx)

the restaurant was called the Footstool and was located at St John's Smith Square (close to the Tate Gallery and Westminister Parliament).

For the last month or so I've been chilling with my brother (who lives in Surrey with his wife and 3 little boys), so I've been spending some quality time with my nephews 'cause I hardly get to see them.

As for entertainment, London is surely the beacon of goods. A few weeks a go I caught a once in a lifetime jazz show with John Zorn, Marc Ribot, Trevor Dunn (bassist from Mr Bungle) and a few other key players. That night was stupendous!

Next week Scofield's playing at the jazz Cafe so I'm awfully stoked!

I'm here for one more week, then I'm off to Russia to do some humanitarian work shocked.gif" border="0 , so I'll keep an eye out for your recomendations Kev-o (thanx)