Jambands.ca

So how was DOY? What'd I miss???

LJFH

DoY Kicked some solid ass. There were some nostalgic moments that I didn't expect.

Mainly, the flying fun Cornerstone Row. A tune I used to love to play on guitar.

At the end of the night, their recorded set was playing through the sound system and Cornerstone Row came on. I said "Right on. I love this tune. I learned it on guitar years ago". I didn't realize that Mark the guitarist for DoY was sitting on a chair beside me and he looked up and said "THIS tune?".

They sounded fantastic. Some of the most solid 3-part harmonies I have heard live in a very long time.

Steve the Bassist, was jumping around all night wearing what I think was a pillow case from the Marriot, turned into a skirt.

That guy is pouring with energy. He also sat at the piano and treated us to some Peter Frampton, "oooooh baby I love your way..."

The Toaster performed a solo during Dr. Huxtable's set. It had it's own mic the entire night, but somebody forgot to plug the toaster in, so it really had no energy to sing.

I had a ball. I'd never seen DOY before, so didn't really know what to expect (and was a little leery, based on what I'd heard about them), but they blew me away. The guitar player is *amazing*; he stands there, like some old fishing buddy of your Dad's, barely moving his fingers, and the most incredible music flows out.

As a band, they're great; the work well together, rotate singing duties, and groove together.

I didn't hear them do much (if any) Dead (but how many times did I hear them tease "Morning Dew"?), and I don't know any of their originals, but I dug the music in a large way. The few covers they did were just off-beat enough to be interesting, especially "A Quick One While He's Away" and "Get Out Of My Life Woman" (at least I think that's the title; I know it as an old Paul Butterfield Blues Band song [from "East-West"]).

Actually, the lack of Dead stuff wasn't a problem. I got to the Bayou about 9:15pm, and was enthralled to hear Dr. Huxtable soundchecking "Eyes of the World" as I came down the stairs. They did "Eyes.." and "I Know You Rider" (and probably a few others...my memory's a bit fuzzy), along with a few good Huxtatunes.

It was also good to see the newest Huxtable, especially since it's so rare to see *good* toaster on stage. He also stayed up through the DOY set, IIRC.

Aloha,

Brad

grin.gif" border="0 Tthanks DOY and thanks Huxtables...I had a great night even though I allmost scrapped it out w/a creepy geek who thought he was still at a strip club...I allmost gave him the toaster(upside the head!)...apart from that....good,good times! grin.gif" border="0 ..also...crazy memory lane night...also I reciefed my CD winnings....WOWZERS..thanks Andres, I was at that Hamilton show. I remember turning around to see Mr.Sloth sitting about 4 rows back w/3 or 4 seats empty on either side of him all alone...so I went back and got to enjoy the show w/plenty of room and hangin w/the cutest boy in the place...what a great show! Thanks 4 the great CDS!!! grin.gif" border="0

Pardon me, THANK YOU HUXIES!

your set was fun too, I liked your arrangement of Its All Over Now......

That was a really fun night, why in the world did I get so wasted and try and picka fight with Howler. That toaster across my head wouldnt have felt so good.

"TAKE IT OFF"

You are partially correct there Bradm, they used (actually just the guitar player) to be called the "Other Ones" around 1988 and played alot of covers. They eventually evolved into DOY.

They actually teased the song "The Other One" for quite a while in the first set on Saturday. I cant remember what Dead covers ive seen DOY do other than "Morning Dew" but there are a couple other ultra-rare ones.

I'm glad that I wasn't the only one that heard the Other One tease. I was looking around for Sloth and Booche to confirm that I wasn't imagining it.

Yeah, the Huxies 'It's All Over Now' was fun indeed. I forgot about that. I really really enjoyed the 'Loving Cup' at the end. That was a nice suprise and it was very well done.

I have to mention the nice version of 'Festival' that was done as the opener. It was pretty short, but that's the way I like to hear Ratdog tunes wink.gif" border="0

All in all a fine evening Saturday at the Bayou! I hoped to see more people there, however. I've seen DOY play to packed houses at the CAVE (RIP) and at the PENGUIN (RIP) in the past. Low attendance at the Bayou meant I got a good seat for the show.

Days of You rocked! I can't name all of the tunes they played but I did recognize most of them from their first disc.

I don't want to complain, but I feel I must: The service at the Bayou that night was lacking. The waitress forgot drink orders, and the bartender had to ask how to make a B52! I thought they taught mixology in high school now. Oh well, I'll still be back if they continue to have good bands!