Jambands.ca

No longer new to Nero!

MarcO

So I just thought I might post a few thoughts on last Friday's Nero show at the C-Zone in T.O.

First of all, I just want to say it was a real pleasure to meet Jay before the gig. He was a real sweet guy and my girlfriend and I really enjoyed talking to him. It's always nice to have affection for the musicians you are paying to hear, and that was the case for us, for sure.

The opening band (Rose Garland) played long and to be honest we just waited them out. Sorry, but Dead/Phish cover bands are not my thing. Based on what I heard from Nero, however, they definitely are "my thing". I was impressed by the musicianship of the trio; the rhythm section was tight and the super-talented guitar player (I'll get their names eventually) kept things loose but focused. I appreciate their instrumental approach and their dedication to original music - definitely the biggest plus for me when I check out a new band. So, as some of you may know, I had never heard them before, so I couldn't even begin to tell you what they played, but i can say I don't really remember them stopping much. The music just flowed, nice and easy sometimes, and other times with vigor and passion. I appreciate that none of the players "overplayed"; they showed impressive listening skills and definitely conducted an interesting conversation between the three of them. Sympathetic, confident musicians, I guess. The bar was not packed, but there was a healthy contingent, all of whom seemed to be enjoying themselves very much. I was a little tired, so I hung back and just listened.

So, your enthusiasm for Nero is justified, in my opinion. You know how sometimes people tell you to check out this band, they're SO AMAZING, you'll love it, and then you get there and you're like "huh?!? this???". Definitely not the case for Laurie and I; we will check them out again and again for sure. I do hope they can make it to Hamilton sometime; maybe we can convince Chris Briscoe of La Luna to tag them on to a Fatties show or something once they get going again this Summer (you with me Steve?).

And I did listen to the show Harpua sent me on Saturday. It felt real good and I think I'm glad I held off.

Marc.

ps - Jay told me they are about to do 25 shows in a row! Now that's a character-building exercise for sure.... just imagine how hot their chops will be at the end of that! Take care of yourselves and each other guys and have tons of fun! Peace! smile.gif" border="0

ive only seen them once at their first frontier gig.They played in the middle of the afternoon and i enjoyed myself but i dont think much people knew them yet because there was very few at the stage. They were awesome. I couldnt believe what i was seeing while all my friend were out on a hike and when they came back i told and they didnt beleive me. I wish i was able to see them at the c-zone but i dont have a ride. If anyone can hook me up with some shows let me know.I would love to hear more myself.