Jambands.ca

Question of the day

h

Guest Low Roller

I like a nice golden slice of toast.

What's the most entertaining thing you've ever put in your toaster? I once put in a Han Solo action figure. You see I was playing with my Star Wars figures, and Darth had this weapon called the "Reverse Carbonite Chamber"...

My parents didn't appreciate my rampant imagination though.

quote:

Originally posted by howler:

I have always had the worst urge to stick a knife in the darned thing....I would never do it...but begeesers do i ever want to....anyone else? Howler may need help!
shocked.gif" border="0

You won't need help until *after* you stick the knife in the toaster.

Me, I'm a medium-brown-toast kinda guy. I like crumpets, too, but not English muffins (a difference of opinion I have with my brother).

Does anybody else remember the song "Toast"? CFNY used to play it once in a while in their off-beat days in the mid-80s. It was a pleasant little ditty (by an English guy) about making toast.

Aloha,

BRAD (Bread? Roasting...Almost Done...)

Guest Low Roller

I can't say I ever had the urge to stick a knife in the toaster... but Howler makes a valid argument. Why is it ill advised to stick a knife in a toaster?? Just make sure you're only touching the wooden handle, and there should be no problem. Poke and prod away.

Retrieving toasted Ritz crackers is probably easiest with a knife anyways.

...the psychoticness of my knife in toaster..is more that I have an urge for the jolt...I think its similar to people being afraid of the edge...apparently when people are afraid to stand on the edge of a cliff or other high structure...they are afraid,not of falling but of jumping off. The argument goes that we have a death instinct as well as a life instinct.

No ones ever gonna let me make toast again after all this! grin.gif" border="0 ...rest assured I love life and will not give in to the call of the toaster!!! Bradm-I am sooo down with crumpets..mmmmmm crumpets!

Toast, dark to burnt, with butter (not margarine) and peanut butter is possibly my favourite meal of all time. After 34 years of eating this everyday, I sometimes still get weak knees on my first bite and have to lean against the counter.

quote:

Originally posted by bradm:

I like crumpets, too, but not English muffins (a difference of opinion I have with my brother).

Crumpets are good. English muffins are good. I like malt bread.

quote:

Does anybody else remember the song "Toast"? CFNY used to play it once in a while in their off-beat days in the mid-80s. It was a pleasant little ditty (by an English guy) about making toast.

I do, indeedy.

Gad, the flashbacks the Cavern induces are almost too much to bear...

Anybody else do toaster-oven mini-pizzas? I vividly remember making them with my Grandmother, who used to take care of my brother and I the odd weekend when our parents would go on a trip.

You split open an English muffin, spoon on some canned tomato sauce, add a slice or three of pepperoni and a couple of slices of mozerella cheese, and bake. For a kid spending quality time with Grandma, they're a delight.

I've also done appetizers in a similar way: get some of the square pumpernickel bread (the kind you can use to tile a bathroom), cut into 1" squares, put on some proscuito and havarti cheese, put on a rack, and into the toaster-oven on "toast". A few minutes later, you've got hot canapes.

Aloha,

Brad

quote:

Originally posted by CatPhish:

Many late nights I have woke tothe hum of the toaster oven and the smell of cheese on taost!

Gotta love "taost"...that would be a baked bread thing that was the only food eaten by a certain type of Zen monk in the mountains of Nepal. Or the set of exercises you do while roasting bread: taost tai-chi.

Aloha,

Brad

i actually like white toast plain - you take off the crust then you can split it in two down the middle (meaning you pull the two toasted sides and they separate) then there is untoasted bread in the middle that you can kinda scrape a little then you roll the two toasted sides up into tubes and eat them.

its fun.

um, ya, i've been told that before

lightly toasted is fine by me.

In case anyone was wondering about the knife in the toaster thing.........yeah, it hurts. If you ever get some bread or something stuck in the toaster, be sure to unplug the thing before you go fishing with a knife. Ive done it dozens of times without unplugging...BUT one time the knife went through the bread and jammed up against one of the coils.....ZZAP! It sucks.