Jambands.ca

speaking of weed....

MarcO

Tuesday, April 30, 2002

from www.canoe.ca:

Canadians to be polled about pot

OTTAWA (CP) -- A Senate committee on illegal drugs will ask Canadians if they think the government should decriminalize marijuana.

After studying the pros and cons of pot use for 14 months, the committee released a preliminary report Thursday saying scientific evidence suggests marijuana isn't a so-called gateway drug that leads to the use of harder drugs.

Senator Pierre Claude Nolin, chairman of the committee, says about one-third of young Canadians between 15 and 24 have used cannabis in the last year.

But the statistics suggest that doesn't mean they will go on to use cocaine, heroin and other more addictive drugs.

The committee will hold a series of public hearings across the country to see what Canadians think. It expects to release its final report in August.

In a related study, I was out looking for a house to buy yesterday and noticed that 100% of the places I visited had roaches in their ashtrays, 50% had faint traces of pot smell to them, and 25% of them had used that SmokeEater air freshener to try to disguise their substance abuse from the real estate people.

Now thats what I call real estate-of-the-mind.