Jambands.ca

Widespread Panic????

can-o-phish

I've enjoyed reading people's thoughts and opinions in this section towards different topics. Last night I read that over 200 people were arrested at Widespread's recent show in Georgia and among those, one overdosed and another committed suicide. Nasty to say the very least. Widespread is now supporting the fight against drugs, though not specific to types. I'm curious to here what people's take on this is as sometimes I find it seems that drugs have become a large part of the scene which sometimes leads to a bad rap on the jam scene and the listeners. Your thoughts????

I'm not sure exactly how i feel about the mass drug dealing in the parking lots. It can really hurt a scene, but it can also add to the party when it is not out of control. A fine line to be sure. Most (smart) canadians don't bring a stash over the border so people rely on getting ripped off and paying outragous prices in the parking lot to get their party favors of choice with which to enjoy the show. Lately I've really come to appreciate sobriety at shows, i love when a band can give me "that" feeling without the aid of substance; of course there is a time and a place for everything and show are often the time and place.

I do know how i feel about undercover agents and MakisupaPoliceman's comments yesterday summed up my sentiments exactly. Uniformed officers are fine, patrolling the lots, keeping things safe letting people know that it is not a place of lawlesnes. Undercovers busting kids smoking weed...that's just a waste of time and money. There is really no need for this but alas it may be a while before society realizes and governments react (although there is some hope in Canada with talk about a marijuana referendum) I think it is a shame that the band endorses the use of undercover agents. Trying to root out the hard drugs that can drag down a scene is one thing but arresting 200 kids for having a stash is silly.

On a side note i was reading on jambase about the shows (which sounded as if they raged) and there seemed to be rumours circulating about the future of the band. Any Panic fans out there know anything about this? I've yet to see them but i'm planning on catching them in Detroit with moe. a few days before PLQ in Toronto. Anyone recommend any shows or albums to listen to before i experience them first hand?

Jaybone, some buddies and I caught the PLQ in Bozeman on April 2nd. Im not sure how far back the rumors about Widespread Panic go but we heard a rumor at the Phil show that Panic was going to be no longer....just tossing a log on the rumor fire i guess.

As for the whole drug thing, I think its such a FARSE that they are in there bustin kids for a couple of rockets. Thats all I have to say about that.