Jambands.ca

QotD 19/03/03 non-war topic edition

gentlemonkey

justin timberlake solo- wow! dripping sexiness

boy has he matured! [smile] boing!

'my body's your wonderland..' [Roll Eyes]

I moslty picked up a viscious ween obsession thoughout the past year.. some of the newer acts I've noticed and didn't immediatley hate- norah jones, system of a down, white stripes, constantines, sadies... as always beck has continued to rock.

Guest Low Roller

I like the White Stripes for sure. I haven't been very impressed with the Hives. There's no doubt the music industry is trying to milk the loud guitar rock for all its worth hoping to mimic the grunge craze from the 90's. Also the Music has a great single out right now.

Swollen Members lend some serious credibility to canandian hip-hop. I think the Toronto hip-hop scene is just a watered down version of american hip-hop. Swollen Members have intelligent lyrics to accompany their great sound.

Anybody hear of the Transplants? It's Tim Armstrong's (of Rancid fame) side project. It's just straight up punk, with crunchy guitars, catchy loops, and some ska influences. Very crisply produced punk.

Gotan Project is an interesting project by two exiled Argentinian DJs. It blends the elements of trip-hop and tango. Definitely something different.

quote:

Originally posted by Low Roller:

Swollen Members lend some serious credibility to canandian hip-hop. I think the Toronto hip-hop scene is just a watered down version of american hip-hop. Swollen Members have intelligent lyrics to accompany their great sound.

what about that dude.. "mister DJ c'mon and turn it up.. this is how we rock it in the T. dot." you know that loathsome goof with the face thats begging to be beaten?

i have to admit i do enjoy the swollen members now and then. especially in comparison to snow, choclair or the other can-rap contemps. actually k-os is super talented, coffee shop hiphop style with great singing, great hiphop lyrics.. met him at Coca, plays with a classical guitarist and a tabla player. awesome stuff...

Cake is cool. I have all these friends who rave about Coldplay, but personally beyond the first single I heard ("Yellow") I can't say they've done a lot for me.

My fave "new music" find (as in something a little different that is relatively recent) is A3 (formerly Alabama 3), the guys who do the theme for the Sopranos. I've generally described these guys as sounding like a 21st century version of War, alternating between light and dark moods but always groovy with a touch of soul and a dash of hip-hop. Good stuff.

Peace,

Mr. M.

quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Musicface:

I have all these friends who rave about Coldplay, but personally beyond the first single I heard ("Yellow") I can't say they've done a lot for me.

if only they did commercial jingles thru which i could appreciate them more [Wink]

tool gets/got radio play, which always amazed me 'cuz i think they're super-fine...

otherwise, the key these days (methinks) is take somethin' old and over-produce it - oh God, thank you for Bob Rock!!!

i think reality tv will eventually replace modern music and music will be used to shim wobbly tables - this is, i admit, a rough translation of a nostradamus prophecy

Guest Low Roller

quote:

Originally posted by CharlieDon'tSurf:

tool gets/got radio play, which always amazed me 'cuz i think they're super-fine...

Oh yeah! TOOL is definitely a great band. One of the last vestiges of my hard rock days...

beck and coldplay are both wicked. i've always been a fan of coldplay and beck's new album is one of the best I've heard in a long time. i like the strokes a fair bit. of course radiohead an the chili peppers are still wicked. johny mayer isnt HORRIBLE, better than alot of other people. audioslave are kind of cool, too. ims ure theres more . . .

Guest Low Roller

What do you think of the state of music outside of jamband? Are things improving? Getting more generic? Getting more underground? Any bands you have recently discovered?

I think one of the coolest things of the past year or so has been the return of "real rock 'n roll" to the mainstream, via bands like The White Stripes, The Hives, The Soundtrack Of Our Lives, The Strokes, even to an extent, our own Sam Roberts and Sum 41. There are countless others.

Of course, mainstream media is currently squeezing the life out of this movement but it's possible to try to ignore it.

Just a quick thought.

There's lots more going on but I simply don't have the budget or time to keep up with it all!

Seems like jazz is currently enjoying a resurgence, although only on the heels of the "nice" jazz making it's way onto AOR radio (ie, Norah Jones, Diana Krall, etc.). I'm not sure Drums & Tuba are racing up the charts just yet! [Razz]

Archived