Jambands.ca

passport U.S.A

Hey folks...just wondering if anyone else heard the same thing...I think the spawn of satan/bush just passed some law or another making it mandatory to produce a passport for entry into the states...better jump on that anyone going to Trey/Vermont grin.gif" border="0 I also think I heard something weird about fingerprints shocked.gif" border="0

not sure if I'm willing to dole out the prints..seems creepy...micro-chip-please..

• 2 weeks later...

This was just issued at my place of work:

Please note that our travel agent has issued the following advisory concerning travel to the United States.

The US government is moving forward legislation which will require a passport as proof of identity for all visitors / travelers entering the USA. Currently, the Canadian government recommends that all Canadians obtain a valid Canadian passport for travel to any country, including the USA. It would appear that this will shortly be a requirement. Given that processing time for a Canadian passport can take several weeks, employees planning business travel in the US are advised to evaluate the impact of this US legislation, and move forward with passport applications if business travel to the USA is planned for later this year.

Furthermore, please be advised that passport fees and associated costs are not reimbursable as business expenses.

The Canadian Passport Office provides the following information:

Obtain a Passport Application:

Visit a passport office (listed below)

Postal outlets

On-line at www.dfait-maeci.gc.ca/passport

Processing times for passport applications:

Apply in person - 10 working days from date received

Apply by mail - 20 working days from date received, not mailed

Urgent requests may be accommodated with up to a $70 premium

Ottawa and area, contact (819) 994-3500

Toronto and area, contact (416) 973-3251

Fee:

$85 (valid for maximum of five years)

To apply in person, visit:

Ottawa

C.D. Howe Building

240 Sparks Street, Level C, East Tower

Office hours: 7:30 to 4:30

Toronto

Central Parkway Mall, #116-377 Burnhamthorpe Road East, Mississauga

Office Hours: 8:00 to 5:00

Joseph Shepard Building

#380-4900 Yonge Street, North York

Office Hours: 8:00 to 5:00

#210-200 Town Centre Court, Scarborough

Office hours: 8:00 to 5:00

#300-74 Victoria Street, Toronto

Office hours: 8:00 to 5:00

To send an application by courier:

Place du Centre, Commercial Level 2

200 Promenade du Portage

Hull QC J8X 4B7

To mail an application:

The Passport Office

Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade

Ottawa ON K1A OG3

On a related note, it looks like you now need a guarantor (as you do with a passport) to get a birth certificate in Ontario.

A coworker and his wife have a newborn, and the hospital didn't issue a birth certificate; instead, they have to apply, and need a guarantor. (One difference between the birth certificate guarantor and the passport guarantor: there's no "declaration in lieu of" for the birth certificate [or that I could see on the forms].)

It used to be (as of Jan. 1995, when I did it) that you could just walk into the courthouse on Elgin, pay about $5, fill out a form, and they'd send it to you. I guess the Gov't of Ont. is trying to prevent things like identity theft.

Aloha,

Brad

dog: what means of travel do you use to pass the border? Crossing by car is still the easiest way and having a licence (if you own the car) may be more accepted for a while.

Crossing by plane, and especially by train or bus definitely requires a passport to avoid problems, and has been so for the past five years. I should know, I was once denied entry, and it all started because I didn't have a passport - they automatically thought I was less worthy.

And personally, for my vacation this summer, I'll even bring a physical plane ticket to prove I have a way out of the US if necessary - I'm not sure every Immigration officer understands the concept of electronic tickets (again, speaking from experience)...

As for fingerprints, it's looked at, as are other biometric measures, but the recent feat of someone completely destroying the validity of fingerprint readers may push that possibility back for a while. No, what is being actually worked at in the US are face recognition machines... which don't work most of the time, or if your face is even five degrees off on the side... and somehow, I don't think it'll stop them from implementing it...