Jambands.ca

Dr.Huxtable at Maxwell's (Thurs) CANCELLED.

Hux

Hey everybody just a heads up, that we've had to postpone our show at Maxwell's tomorrow night, due to a band member being away. We will reschedule, likely July.

Other than that, the band has been learning a bunch of new originals, and in part through frustration of being unable to secure any local gigs with out of town acts and such, we have decided to set our sights on establishing a weekly gig in town, and hope we can get a good regular scene going, ala Nero Tuesdays....

We're exploring all possible locations, bars, restaurants, whatever, so if anybody has any off-the-wall ideas or suggestions, we'd love to hear 'em!!

Let's grow the local scene!

Dang. I was looking forward to it (and not just for contrition points).

I was in the Market last night, and had a thought: how about the Dominion? It's a flat-out *bar*, but they have hosted shows with groove-type music before (e.g., the Hallowe'en show with Nero, TMNS, and another band whose name escapes me).

Aloha,

Brad, Desiring Pudding Pops

One other thought: has anybody ever tried to do a comprehensive search of venues for this kind of thing? I'm thinking of starting off with a list of all clubs/restaurants in Ottawa, grouping them by region, eliminating places that are obviously not workable (e.g., too large, or too small, or not licensed, or not in a good location), and sending out people on appropriate nights (Monday, Tuesday, etc.) to get a feel for the places (e.g., if a given venue has a lot of people in it on most Mondays, that venue/day probably wouldn't work), and maybe even talk to the owners.

With a handful of people, the right information, and a little coordination, we could cover a lot of ground.

Aloha,

Brad

quote:

Originally posted by bradm:

One other thought: has anybody ever tried to do a comprehensive search of venues for this kind of thing?

yes.... I did it many months ago...... couldn't hurt for you to do it again as shit is always changing.

Good luck Dr. Hux

sounds great brad, I guess the thing about being a musician is, that they (us) are generally shitty managers, and it really is tough to get out and do this kinda sniffing around...we are trying, it may be hard to sell a place on a regular night, but I think we eventually will, and could totally do this!