Jambands.ca

First Joey, Now Dee Dee

Jaimoe

Dee Dee Ramone died last night of an apparent drug overdose. He was 50. This really sucks. My roommate's band: The Dik Van Dykes, opened for The Ramones 3 times in the mid 80's. In my living room, my roomate Stu has 3 separate pictures of Dee Dee, Joey and Marky taken with him from the mid 80's ( Johnny didn't want his picture taken ). I even bought him Dee Dee's new autobiography for Christmas. I'm not looking forward to seeing him tonight.

Dee Dee was a true pioneer. The Ramones were anything but flashy, but they were punk and rock trailblazers with a great style and attitute. They really rocked too... obviously. What a wasteland drug attiction has left. Let's hope Joey and Dee Dee are forming a band somewhere right around now.

I saw Dee Dee 3 months ago when The Ramones were inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame. He was quite funny in the televison interview. I've read parts of his autobiography. It's way more horrifying than Tony Fletcher's Keith Moon biography, Moon: Life and Death of a Rock Legend - highly recommended however. Dee Dee, along with the rest of The Ramones, influenced directly and indirectly, almost every punk and rock band in their 70's wake. Phish have done punk for Christ's sake!