Jambands.ca

Hillside festival in Guelph ...

mark tonin

... this is one of the best family festivals that I have ever been to, with a wide range of music, spoken word, workshops, tasty food, stuff for kids, camping, great people, etc. This is yet another of the wonderful music events that I'll be taking in this summer.

The lineup has now been announced. You can find out about this great event at

Hillside Festival Web Site

Peace, Mark

House Of Velvet is an awesome Guelph-based reggae band.. They only play a handful of gigs a year (as far as I know), always in Guelph. One of the guys in the band is the rastafarian dude who runs the reggae shop in downtoen Guleph. Check 'em out if you're going to Hillside!

To tell you the truth, I was more excited by last year's lineup.. At least I think it was last year. (New Deal, Burning Spear, etc). Then again, just cause I'm not familiar with most of the bands playing this year doesn't mean they're not incredibly talented. [big Grin]

just as a heads up to anyone who hasn't checked that lineup yet--- Michelle Shocked....wow!!! and Bitch and Animal- which are a band that last time drums and tuba was through Bryan was wearing this t-shirt for that band and I asked him about them and he said they were an awesome combo that Ani was currently producing and promoting....Cool huh- and those are my recommendations...

Yes, I was pretty excited to see Michelle Shocked on the bill! I am even more excited to read that she will have a band with her ... that will be an awesome show!!!

Thanks for the heads up on Bitch and Animal.

I've also heard from a few friends that Passenger out of Guelph is a hot funk/jam/rock/jazz band.

Will you be at Hillside Tasha? I'm almost positive I know who you are, but I'm still sorting through the names of all of the great people I have met over the last few months!!!

Peace, Mark

Yah- I have purple horn rims! we've meet- I work with the Guelph Jazz Fest- after you posted the Hillside stuff I thought I should get my act together and get the shit posted to the jazz fest here too...thanks for the heads up on passanger. I live here and haven't checked them out yet.

Cheers, Tasha

oops- and yah- I think we will at least go to the Michelle day....hoping that Bitch and Animal and now maybe Passenger too will all be on the same day. You should give us a call if you come to town for the whole weekend. email me for our phone number and info (I think I have my profile set to release all that info...) Todd said that he invited you back to our place for the nero after party but you had to go so you'll have to take a rain check on that on the 6th of July when they come back to play the same venue.. Cool!

i can't believe nobody else noticed this - MICROBUNNY IS PLAYING!!!!!!

I saw them open up for metalwood. picture a trippy portishead on crack with less melancholy overtones and you've got a sweet band. they were (dare I say) as good as metalwood. totally different band...don't miss them - effected vox, upright bass/key grooves, mad drums, guitar/samples/ambience/keys.

you've got to check that band out if you can.

and if you're confused as to how you didn't know about them, start listening to brave new waves on CBC 2 late nights.

Canned Beats ... Thanks for the heads up on Microbunny!

Tasha ... thanks ... now I am 100% positive I know who you are. Yes, I wanted to come to your place for the Guelph nero afterparty, but my pillow was calling me. I wish that I could say that I'd be there on the 6th, but I will be away on a camping trip. But I will take a rain check for a date as yet to be determined in the future [smile]

I will be at Hillside for sure with my family and we will be camped out at Guelph Lake for the whole weekend. Happy summer daze ...

Peace, Mark