Jambands.ca

animated gifs

h

They're nice, but a few of them have been kinda large, and the constant processing screws with the cursor in the editing window (under IE, anyway). And that's with a reasonably good processor and 256 MB of RAM. There's no way I'd want to load the site with my home machine, a P120 on dialup.

Yup, I know they're not all big, and I've checked the number of frames on some of the bigger ones. Egad. (I've done a few simple animated gifs, so I know the basics.)

I hope nobody thinks I'm suggesting chucking the idea. Nah, I'm just telling ya what I see.

say it the way you see it arcane thats why i asked - i actually found a lot of flashing going on even though they're cool gifs for sure.

i've only made like 2 or 3 animated gifs ever and i was quite concerned over the size of hula girl at the time... but i've gots the high speed so at some point i say "screw the dial ups!!" but then i think naw, better be good to the dial ups...

i'll have to do a bit more research as to how to make em smaller - do you think a low src alternative image would help those with dial up? i'm not sure cuz the animated would still have to load at some point...

It's a good question, h. I think they look great, but it would be a drag if people started to avoid the site because it took too long to load. I'm not necessarily representative of most people because I tend to be a person who focuses on web site functionality rather than flashy presentation ... i.e. can I get the information I want from a site in a hurry. I guess finding the right balance between functionality and look is key.

Any other feedback?

Peace, Mark

hi again, ya, i was just kindof taking an informal poll, i hope it doesnt look like an "official" thread -

i've only even made one gif, so i'm definitely not speaking on behaf of the site owners or even the gif makers.

but yes, the feedback is very good. I think for me, maybe simpler is better for most except maybe special events, then look into having low source images to see if they'll help.

Theres nothign wrong with static images imo, but the gifs seem popular. [big Grin]