Jambands.ca

MMW last night im one happy whore

show---whore

MMW was fucking mind blowing last night. Thanks to Scottieking for the hook up on the ticket.

For about 20 mins i just stood there with my mouth wide open in a total trance watching chris Wood go off on his kit. The total non-sence of there music at times had me flying high and when they kick into a phat groove the rush i got was something that i haven't felt in along time, so long i can pin point that last time live music bought me to this level.

After the show chris came out took a few pics with fans chated a bit about the show. It was nice to met chris shake the hand of a ture musical master mind.

"THERE IS NO SMOKEING AT THIS VENUE OF ANY KIND. IM SURE THATS INCENCE YOUR BURNING"

the dumb chick that could remember the name of the band or the name there albums.

MMW - Rain or Shine (should have checked off Shine)

This just hasn't been my year for weather and shows. First , Frontiertown and snow. Now MMW and rain. I, unforunately, got caught away from the pavillion when Passed Out Guy pulled me aside for a toot. This meant one soggy show for scottieking. I'm sure it's a great spot in the sun.

As for the show, this being my 4th MMW show, all in Toronto, I gotta say it wins only 2nd place (I loved last year's appearence at the Jazzfest) The band was obviously having some tech. diff. at the beginning and I felt the true vibe of the show didn't get rockin til after.

That being said, I heard some of the sickest sonic experimentation I've ever heard them pull off. Medeski's area looks more and more like a lab everytime I see it. Illy B got too much talent for his own good. And once again, Chris Wood goes unrated as the archor that keeps that band from lifting completely out of our solar system.

All and all, solid show. Tough to groove packed into benches and soaking wet (my own fault for attending my first show in over 5 years WITHOUT the magic hat: don't ask) Oh well, good to see the whore, Tungsten, P.O.G., MarcO, Trev (what do you post under), the Kitchener Gang, and from a distance, the Punk.

See some of you at Herbalizer otherwise, Sunday in Durham. sk

this show TOTALLY blew my mind! I couldn't believe how wicked it was... I kept freaking out peroidically. They played Fire by Jimi!! That was crazy!

As for the rain, I was sitting on the benches right at the frount. No rain for me.. [smile] hehe.

I'm glad U all had fun..

Cheers..

Sarah

Well what to say... I mean it was an MMW show after all...

Well scottie I've been to for MMW shows as well, I'm assuming we've been to the same ones. I would have to rate this one third though, with last years Nathan Phillips Square show being the most amazing, then The Guvernment show, then this one, and finally the Warehouse show. I thought it was an amazing show but they didn't have as much of the 'groove' as I would have liked, they got screwed with only being able to play one set, and well... The stupid rain...

Lets see, what else... Bullfrog I thought was pretty cool, I really dug their groove and was pretty surprised to learn they are all homegrown canajun's... And, obviously Jukejoint was pretty amazing at the Brigatine Room afterwords. I was a little surprised that the $6 cover scared so many off, but what can ya do...

All and all another wicked night of 'our' music! Good to see so many of you kind folks out.

See ya'll at Herbalizer.

(scottie, CyberHippie = Trev)

Well, no-one ever said enjoying fine music would be easy!! I was soaked to the bone!

Another fine performance from MMW. Really, I would just go see a Billy Martin solo show if he ever booked it. The guy is wicked! I really respect MMW for having their own, totally distinctive sound.

This show was a a good mix of their intense groove style mixed in with their more avant-garde wanderings. Medeski has added a vintage synthesizer to his keyboard arsenal, which was nuts. I think he's such a fine player: full of soul and yet, "heady". Grounded and yet in flight. Y'know?? It's fun to just watch Medeski and Martin just looking around at their gear, adding a touch of this here, a bit of that there. No doubt, anyone who braved that cold, harsh rain witnessed a world-class jazz trio doing what they do they best: improvising, maintaining their own fully developed musical personalities while contributing to the whole. You can't always dance to it but that's not what it's always for. Some of their music, I feel, demands your full attention and if you give it up, you will be amply rewarded; if you don't, I imagine it's easy to get bored or lost sometimes. It's a real dance.

As for Bullfrog, well, they were fun. It was my second time seeing them, and it was awfully like the last time I saw them. I think of their music as being like cold soda pop on a hot day: refreshing and enjoyable at the time, but otherwise insubstantial and forgettable. Just a little too agreeable for my liking sometimes, but fun nonetheless and by no means to be avoided.

In the end, our plans for JukeJoint fell through. We headed back to Hamilton for dry clothes and wet cocktails. 'Twas nice to see you Scottie and Trevor, as always. I'm sure we'll all cross paths again very soon!

Now, how was the Darien Trey show???

What a wicked show! This was my first time seeing MMW and I was lovin' it. I was lucky enough to snag a seat about half way in on Billy's side, so I was able to stay high and dry. I loved Bullfrog and I'll catch them again whenever I can! Awesome dancing tunes -- too bad almost no one stood up! They don't dig too deep into the improvisation but they have a really good, deep groove goin' on.

It was my first time seeing Medeski play and MAN he is a monster! Unbelievable. I enjoyed watching Billy Martin shuffle around using all his various percussion. I recognized three songs: Macha (off of the Bubblehouse EP), Fire and they encored with a song off of Shack Man. I can't wait to hear this show again! Kid Koala never sat in.. Before the show I thought it could happen, but once the show was underway, I'm glad he didn't actually.. MMW were playing and connecting on such a high level that I don't think it would've worked out if he had just hopped in. Good to see a whole bunch of familiar faces (Trevor, MarcO, Erin & Jenn, Mike Knoll, Sarahbelle, bunch of others). Nice to meet ya Tungsten!

Didn't end up going to Jukejoint. I would've liked to, but when in a group majority sometimes rules! I ended up back in Hamilton at Hess Village til the wee hours. [smile]

Yeah, what a great night.

Got into TO around 5 pm or so. Went to a buddy's for a few pre show drinks. Very poor time management had me show up at the Harbour Front Center about 10 pm. I thought that was pretty rediculous, what with being less than 10 minutes away the entire evening.

That was okay though. I had a superb time and enjoyed all of the show that I did catch. I saw MMW for the first time a couple of weeks prior at Hookahville. Was very close to the stage there so I wasn't overly concerned about being at the very back for the show. Lots of room to boogy back there!

JukeJoint after was excellent. I don't exactly remember digging them at CTMF so much as I did Sat night. Good stuff. I was thinking I would get the chance to meet up with some of you there but it wasn't to be. Next time.

I did have a blast partying with Snelly, Meggo, Sarah-Belle, PhunkyB... who else?

Look forward to seeing MMW again and again.